Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Your thoughts on walleye

Al Linder says bring a swim bait, tail spinner, jig, and stick type minnow bait. Fish rocky bottoms.

How deep would you fish?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by llg View Post
    Al Linder says bring a swim bait, tail spinner, jig, and stick type minnow bait. Fish rocky bottoms.

How deep would you fish?
    This time of year walleye and sauger run fairly shallow (10ft or less) especially below dams and spillways. I only use 1/8 oz jigs and minnows, or twistertails in white or chartreuse. I'm sure those other baits will work, but for the number of lures you're going to lose on the rocky bottom, jigs are the most cost effective. I also like a sand bar in the evening if I can find one.

Post Thanks / Like

How deep would you fish?
    Have you bought and read the In-Fisherman Critical Concepts book on Walleye or Smallmouth bass. They are very good and would help answer your question. The walleye are more aggressive than the smallmouth and chase the smallmouth away from the good spots so the walleye are shallower than the small mouth. But they are still found deep on main lake points this time of the year. That's all I remember from reading about them in the Small mouth book. I still need to buy and read the book on walleyes. I would have done that already if we had lakes with lots of Walleyes around here. But all we have is the Ohio River and Sauger. And I like to eat the fish I catch and won't eat fish caught out of the Ohio River due to the dirty water and chemicals that we dump into the Rivers every day.
    Last edited by peter; 01-05-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For you that don't know it, Taylorsville lake is way more polluted
    than the Ohio River. Taylorsville is the most polluted body of water in all
    of Ky. It's bad, real bad.
    Yet I never hear anyone saying they won't eat the fish out of there.
    Strange.

Post Thanks / Like
    my 2 cents on walleye fishing, I have always had the best luck catching walleye at night, in the spring when the water temps start to warm above 60 degrees, troll stick baits and small spoons, and as the water warms enough for the shad to start spawning, cast the jointed sliver baits, and when the shad are coming up good, I like using a thunder stick, strait and jointed, a bomber magnum is good to, fish with the shoreline as close as you can, making long cast and slow cranking it back, and make sure all lights on the boat are off, the darker the better, then when the shad spawn is over, go back to trolling spoons and stick baits in about 20' of water following the lake contour. it works for me, if your fishing a lake that holds striper, same method works great for catching striper, good luck
    Likes kstonich, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I fish GRL

I once was told by an older man that nobody fishes deep enough to catch their walleye. He got his limit every time. I asked him, not to tell me honey holes, but how deep to fish. He told me 25' and deeper. Thermocline in GRL is normally about 18' in the summer.

I don't normally fish in cold weather and not sure how deep the thermocline will be.

Should walleye be that deep below the thermocline?

Post Thanks / Like
    I once was told by an older man that nobody fishes deep enough to catch their walleye. He got his limit every time. I asked him, not to tell me honey holes, but how deep to fish. He told me 25' and deeper. Thermocline in GRL is normally about 18' in the summer.

I don't normally fish in cold weather and not sure how deep the thermocline will be.

Should walleye be that deep below the thermocline?
    I don't know where the thermocline is in GRL either, but I do know that I have caught Walleye in July and August around 60'deep there, and also caught them in the top four feet of the water column on Small cranks casting for bass during the same time period. Most of the time, 18-20' is where I find them regardless of how deep of water I am in, so that leads me to believe that they like to hang at or below the thermocline in the summer.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The past few years ive fished for walleye on nolin. Ive had decent success. Cant catch em in the summer. But i catch some in the early spring pullin shadraps. Taylorsville recently stocked the saugeye and ive caught a few by accident. Havent figured them out yet but im still learning how to fish for walleye. Ive been told nighcrawler rigs work well.