Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Okeechobee Fl.

Post Thanks / Like

Okeechobee Fl.

I'm sure someone on here has been there and done what I've been thinking of doing for a long time, fishing lake Okeechobee, and Lake Okeechobee is a long drive, I've been there before but never have dragged a boat that far, I have a cousin that has lived in Okeechobee all his adult life, and he sends me photos of 10 plus lb bass from time to time, and 2 days before thanksgiving his daughter kept 50 keeper size crappy in 2 and half hours fishing, he said he caught over 50 bass last December and January, I told him I've fished all my life and have never caught a bass over 10 lb, he said come on down and we can fix that the day after you get here, so I plan on fishing with him and my friend thats going with me, I've been searching the internet for a place to stay, we're planning on checking in on Sunday and out the following Sunday but may stay longer, wanted to ask you guys/gals that have been there and fished the big O would you have a place to lodge, that you would recommend, that has good parking and power source for charging batteries. my cousin could tell me what I need to know, but I'd rather not tell him I'm coming down there until we have already booked a place to stay, because I know he would insist we stay with him and I don't want to do that, don't mind using his free guide services, and enjoying his company but wouldn't feel right about putting him out for a place to stay, so any and all tips and info on lodging and fishing at the big O would really be appreciated. planning on fishing for bass and crappy....

Post Thanks / Like
    I stayed at the Pink Flamingo last year. They have decent rooms and plenty of room to charge your batteries. The room runs about $75 a night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did your cousin say they are biting? The reason I ask is I have a good friend that lives in Okeechobee and fishes every day but Sunday. He said since the hurricane the artificial bite has been terrible. He said the shiner bite is very good though. IDK if it matters to you, just thought I would let you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    just got back tonight , stayed at roland martin resort , it was ok prices ranged from 79 to 115 per night . Fished 1 day , rented a bass boat for 250 plus gas . Caught 30 on a red shad zoom ribbon tail worm and stand up jig head , nothing big up to 3.5 lbs , was a fun day , hard to find clean water south end was stirred up from wind and current, guy at the marina said it's been that way since the hurricane. Good luck if you go have fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been twice. Once was a one day guide trip and I caught an 8.5oz and a 7 even about 15 minutes apart on Carolina rig. Last year I drug my boat down for 6 days. Caught a 6.14oz. On buzzbait. I stayed at an uncles about 40 minutes away. The big fish are there!

Post Thanks / Like
    Buckhead ridge on the northern end near the town of okeechobee is a nice place. May be hard to find anything last minute. We're heading to kissimmee chain in march and i had to try several places before i finally found a house on tripadvisor for a really good price.

Post Thanks / Like

Trophy bass

Make sure you take a pic of anything over 8 and submit the info to the Florida trophy bass program for free gift cards. I turned in a 10-2 a few weeks ago and I should be getting a few hundred in gifts

Post Thanks / Like
    Brian on this board.......posts a lot of KY and Okee videos is a guide down there.........

Fishing Hype Guide Service, I believe. I sure hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting it .

with regards to Okee...........It is DEFINITELY on my bucket list, but I'm not too sure I will ever make it. Hopefully , though.

later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Brian on this board.......posts a lot of KY and Okee videos is a guide down there.........

Fishing Hype Guide Service, I believe. I sure hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting it .

with regards to Okee...........It is DEFINITELY on my bucket list, but I'm not too sure I will ever make it. Hopefully , though.

later,

Geo
    yes, I've watched some of Brains videos, I have a first cousin that went to Fl right out of collage, and worked at controlling the grass in the lakes in Fl, he said every day at work was an adventure, if he wasn't on a air boat he was working from a helicopter, only job he ever had, retired doing it, he talks like it's simple to boat 10 lb plus bass, we'll see in a couple weeks. boating a couple over 10 lb,sure would make my old heart smile.. and while i'm on here, thanks to all you guys that have commented on here about where you stayed and fished down there. If I get to boat one over 10 lb, it should be worthy of a framed shot on fishin.com
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    yes, I've watched some of Brains videos, I have a first cousin that went to Fl right out of collage, and worked at controlling the grass in the lakes in Fl, he said every day at work was an adventure, if he wasn't on a air boat he was working from a helicopter, only job he ever had, retired doing it, he talks like it's simple to boat 10 lb plus bass, we'll see in a couple weeks. boating a couple over 10 lb,sure would make my old heart smile.. and while i'm on here, thanks to all you guys that have commented on here about where you stayed and fished down there. If I get to boat one over 10 lb, it should be worthy of a framed shot on fishin.com
    Be careful.................that is a dangerous lake.

The Costa FLW was cancelled down there due to a boating accident. ONE has been found alive, but the boater has not.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Be careful.................that is a dangerous lake.

The Costa FLW was cancelled down there due to a boating accident. ONE has been found alive, but the boater has not.
    I believe the boater has been found but not the co-angler. According to the reports I’ve seen. Regardless, sad situation and keeping the families in my thoughts and prayers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just got back from Okeechobee lake, the weather was very nice, high 70’s to mid 80’s the lake was muddy I could only see about 6 inches deep, early morning water temp was 68 degrees, It was a little windy but the crappy fishing was very good, bass fished one day for about 3 hours, very slow so we went back to fishing for crappy, the crappy fishing was on, so that’s what we did, jigs and live minnows, bag limit is 25 crappy per day per person.this was my first trip to Okeechobee, but it won’t be my last, I loved it. Tried to post a couple pictures, but cant
    Last edited by waterdog101; 02-11-2018 at 06:58 PM.