Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing I.Q-knowledge

First of all, Happy New Year to all of the fishin.com folks. I hope 2018 brings many days of joy! My question is what are some good ways to “study” and increase a persons fishing knowledge. I read blogs and forums, I took Dave Stewart’s eliminating water last year, I read numerous magazines etc... I do not fish tourneys, just fish for bluegill, crappie , bass and stripers. All with mediocre to good success. What is the best method, you tube channel or additional classes to take to get a deeper understanding of fishing wisdom. Kudos to Stripernut1 for his post the other day on stripers. He systematically by season/month broke down striper transitions. It was obviously full of years of wisdom and could probably write a book or make a video. I have watched the trio cd set Capt Jim puts out on striper fishing but where do you guys go to the next level? Not looking for secret spots on lakes, looking for resources that are reputable. If you watch 5 float n fly videos on you tube, you get 7 different opinions. Depth finders, dropshot, wacky rig, Muskie, sauger and patterns... just food for thought
    Thanks for your response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Simple and prolly not the answer your looking for but, Time on the water!!!! You learn from your successes and failures. Chuck
    Likes Wormin, CaptObvious, DJD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true and totally agree. I have a set Arsenal of lures and methods that I use. If those work, I can do well. If they don’t, I might as well load the boat on the trailer. Last October I did really well on a top water bite from daylight to about 10am. After that stopped, I threw jigs, crankbaits, works for 3-4 hours and did not get bit once. I struggle when it gets tough, that’s what the “next level” is I am talking about...

Post Thanks / Like
    I look at it this way I may be all washed up but here how it goes. I think we give a fish way to much credit it's brain is the size of a pea. I always said when it's hot it goes to cool when cool goes to hot when hungry comes up to feed. When high pressure hangs onto brush logs etc
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

notes, notes and more notes

riverrat hit the bullseye, nothing beats time on the water, nothing. i will go one step further and say nothing beats time spent LEARNING on the water. guys like dave stewart, riverrat chuck and some very close friends that are some of the best guides in the state all have one thing in common....they have learned to eliminate the things that normally dont work and concentrate on the very precise , productive activity that they have learned. ive kept notes for over 30 years, i have changed what data i looked for over the years, but probably the one thing that changed my notes more than anything was to include how the fish actually bit using a scale from soft reluctant bites to jerk the rod out of your hand with the hook buried in the gullet.
    i always feel like its very difficult to catch another anglers fish without him in the boat, so youtube videos dont really do much for me other than maybe just pointing me in the right direction.
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep a fishing log of fish you catch.

Calendar date
    Time of day
    Water temp
    Air temp
    Barometric pressure and rising/falling
    Wind speed and direction
    Cloud cover
    Lure
    Size
    Color
    Depth
    Presentation
    Likes GeoFisher, Moveon, riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice folks. Thank you

Post Thanks / Like
    I second Sripernut 1.

I could look at 100 videos, and would not learn as much as spending time on the water with a reputable local guide. I learned more about smallmouth fishing in 6 hrs. with a guide from Ketttle, KY than I could ever learn from books or videos.

This experience also gives you confidence, because you know it works for you. That makes a big difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Follow up and maybe some help

I posted this question several weeks ago and wanted to come back and give an update. I might get laughed off the board but here goes. I TOTALLY AGREE that the number one way to get better at bass fishing is to get on the water and figure stuff out!! BUT if you do everything in the off-season you can do to increase your odds or better yet confidence, you might have a better chance of figuring it out on the water when you do go fishing. I spent the last weekend in Indiana attending BASS UNIVERSITY seminar. The seminar was very informative, but the basstv is also very informative and hopefully beneficial. Keep in mind I am a total redneck nerd. I put together spread sheets and track ph, water temp, water color, barometric pressure, lunar tables, etc... I research crawfish and shad lifecycle and migration patterns. I really do try to do my homework. This is the kind of “fishing knowledge” I was trying to expand upon, but keep in mind... I am still a terrible fisherman, though educated... terrible! LOL! I think the fishing logs and the hiring of a guide is probably the MOST important in increasing your knowledge, but I just can’t afford to hire a guide 5 times a year even though I really want to!! Good luck and tight lines!
    Last edited by Rob1678; 01-25-2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    3 Simple Letters: TOW

I have been working on trying new baits and such and will continue to do so, but the only way to really get better is the hands on approach of TOW. I have watched a ton of video, even make a few videos to share myself, but videos do not put fish in the boat. YOU still have to master the techniques that you watched in videos to be successful.

Post Thanks / Like
    The guys that I know who catch lots of fish are pretty smart and they do a lot of work in the off season. Studying the fishes behavior and putting in brush piles or bamboo condo's for crappie. They study the topo maps and learn the structure under the water. They look for long points that extend down into the deeper water form land to river or creek channels.

I highly recommend the In-fisherman books on various species of fish. Crappie Wisdom books are great and will show you how the crappie behave year round. From the early spring season to the late winter and every thing in-between.

And time on the water with a good guide can't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob1678 View Post
    I posted this question several weeks ago and wanted to come back and give an update. I might get laughed off the board but here goes. I TOTALLY AGREE that the number one way to get better at bass fishing is to get on the water and figure stuff out!! BUT if you do everything in the off-season you can do to increase your odds or better yet confidence, you might have a better chance of figuring it out on the water when you do go fishing. I spent the last weekend in Indiana attending BASS UNIVERSITY seminar. The seminar was very informative, but the basstv is also very informative and hopefully beneficial. Keep in mind I am a total redneck nerd. I put together spread sheets and track ph, water temp, water color, barometric pressure, lunar tables, etc... I research crawfish and shad lifecycle and migration patterns. I really do try to do my homework. This is the kind of “fishing knowledge” I was trying to expand upon, but keep in mind... I am still a terrible fisherman, though educated... terrible! LOL! I think the fishing logs and the hiring of a guide is probably the MOST important in increasing your knowledge, but I just can’t afford to hire a guide 5 times a year even though I really want to!! Good luck and tight lines!

Post Thanks / Like

Great advice.

Thanks for all the good advice. I will use this to my advantage. I will just tell my wife I need to fish more!!! And I have proof from the folks on fishin.com
    Likes Moveon liked this post