Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Small water winter smallmouth

Hey guys, I fish around Central Kentucky mainly Elkhorn and Stoner creeks during the Spring, Summer and Fall for Smallmouth but have never fished after October or before March. I was just curious if any of you have fished these or any other similar small waters during the Winter and if so have you had any luck?

Thanks!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner1974 View Post
    Hey guys, I fish around Central Kentucky mainly Elkhorn and Stoner creeks during the Spring, Summer and Fall for Smallmouth but have never fished after October or before March. I was just curious if any of you have fished these or any other similar small waters during the Winter and if so have you had any luck?

Thanks!!
    They have to eat! Give it a shot - slow down, and stay out of the current. Then slow down some more.
    Likes GeoFisher, CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried Elkhorn about 2 weeks ago but found the current unforgiving, the water level was up at the time. Would be interested to know if it has subsided any since.

You might try to contact David Rogers who is a smallmouth guide on Elkhorn. He is the owner/operator of a bait shop at 1030 Paris Pike in Georgetown, KY. If anyone knows it would be him, very knowledgeable. ddeanrodgers@aol.com
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 21milesbj View Post
    I tried Elkhorn about 2 weeks ago but found the current unforgiving, the water level was up at the time. Would be interested to know if it has subsided any since.

You might try to contact David Rogers who is a smallmouth guide on Elkhorn. He is the owner/operator of a bait shop at 1030 Paris Pike in Georgetown, KY. If anyone knows it would be him, very knowledgeable. ddeanrodgers@aol.com
    You can get an app called River Data that will tell you water temp and water levels at a lot of lakes and streams in KY, including Elkhorn. It's free. For Elkhorn, it draws from this site:

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03289500

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tried in years past and never had much luck. i decided to change up my outdoor activities in the winter

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner1974 View Post

Thanks!!
    Fish stoner creek at Frymans in November with a friend we caught 100 Bass in two days so yes we do have luck on small bodies of water.

Post Thanks / Like

Float and Fly

A lot of guys modify the Float and Fly for smaller water and use that...........

RedNeckShadrap comes to mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=davidm;566639]Fish stoner creek at Frymans in November with a friend we caught 100 Bass in two days so yes we do have luck on small bodies of water.[Thanks for all of the feedback guys, I guess i was more curious about water that is 6ft deep or less.