Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland winter stripes

Before my kids came i did a lot of winter stripe fishing......but havent been in i think 11 yrs. anyway i think i might try to get down there in january if i cant get a decent stretch of weather. These trips were always some of my best and favorite fishing trips.

Most of my success came from pulling bait and jigs towards the backs of creeks and occasionally coming across some jumps. Considering wolfe, caney, lily or greasy creeks.

I have a friend/client that wants to go so i am about 99% sure i am going so i thought i would try and start the conversation to try and gain some knowledge for a successful trip. So any ideas, reports or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks BG

Post Thanks / Like

ice ice baby

just to give you a little heads up, the ends of most creeks are iced up. i know caney was 2 days ago, i know fishing creek is way below the parkway bridge. greasy was 2 days ago as well. im not saying the ice wont melt over the next few days but i will predict the water temps will be way below normal with the ice melt coming in from all the creeks. but hey it beats a trip to the dentists office so good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I hadnt really thought about that. Years ago i showed up to alligator before they moved and was backing the boat down the ramp in the dark when something just didnt feel right so i go out and threw a rock at the water and it just skid across the lake. The whole marina was in ice. It was crazy all the way out to that shallow point. We ended up docking the boat at the other alligator and sleeping on the houseboat at the alligator ice marina. I always get confused which was 1 & 2. It was neat but kind of scary to walk the dock. Anyway thx. I just hope to catch fish and get my buddy a few picks to show off.

Post Thanks / Like

wednesday

I'm heading to the lake on Wednesday, hopefully things will thaw a little in the next couple of days,my last chance to fish for the next 4 or 5 months. Not sure what I will target but 60 degrees in January on a lake is to hard to pass up. , any suggestions for stripers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kstonich View Post
    I'm heading to the lake on Wednesday, hopefully things will thaw a little in the next couple of days,my last chance to fish for the next 4 or 5 months. Not sure what I will target but 60 degrees in January on a lake is to hard to pass up. , any suggestions for stripers?
    I guess it depends on your setup but for me i would head towards the backs of the creeks. I pull shiners and bucktail jigs with planners. 3poles/planners on each side of boat. Behind boat 2 or 3 balloons and 2 down rods. Experiment with depths and weights but planners on bank side no weight or light weight and sort of hugging the bank. Pay attention to were u catch them etc....watch those bank spots that go dirt to rock or cliff spots. They can be hot. Keep one or two poles rigged and available for top water action. Hopefully you will see some single jumps and if your real lucky maybe a school will come up. Idk this used to work for me during winter well but it has been 11 yrs since i have had a winter trip. Sounds like you are picking a good time to go. GL and let us know what happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Did you find anything interesting down there?

Post Thanks / Like

results Thursday

Went into Wolfe pickup up a 28" fish first 15 minutes, the nothing. finished up the day back up in Greasy creek. Didn't go all the way back but 3/4, graphed tons of bait and fish but they were not to interested in my shiners.
    The night before I had pulled off my down riggers thinking I wouldn't need them( never again). Most of the bait I saw was very near the bottom with lots o fish activity in and out of the bait schools. The bait was concentrated between 50-80ft. After a while I gave up and moved closer in and did catch 13 small mouths all nice fish 2-4lbs in front of large chunk rock fall. At least they liked the shiners. Not s fun as you would think on 8ft trolling rods
    Now If I hard targeted them I probably would not have done as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Went into Wolfe pickup up a 28" fish first 15 minutes, the nothing. finished up the day back up in Greasy creek. Didn't go all the way back but 3/4, graphed tons of bait and fish but they were not to interested in my shiners.
    The night before I had pulled off my down riggers thinking I wouldn't need them( never again). Most of the bait I saw was very near the bottom with lots o fish activity in and out of the bait schools. The bait was concentrated between 50-80ft. After a while I gave up and moved closer in and did catch 13 small mouths all nice fish 2-4lbs in front of large chunk rock fall. At least they liked the shiners. Not s fun as you would think on 8ft trolling rods
    Now If I hard targeted them I probably would not have done as well.
    Thanks. When you made your original post here I had been watching The weather and was thinking the same thing. Taking advantage of the warm weather. Currently it is looking good for next weekend. Maybe I won't woos out then.
    You da man!
    Peter

Surprised to hear the bait was so deep. I haven't fished in the winter in a long time but going to try this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Bait

I did see random baitballs 20 ft down but I didn't see much fish activity around them. One day I will figure out how to grow my cast net. I get one decent throw out of 20. Then maybe I can get some good bait. I've watched you tube vids over and over and I'm missing something. It sure would be nice to use good bait for a change, but what I would really would like to get some large fresh shad or alewives and brine cure them. I've always done good trolling cured baits with the slow roll from a 2 hook rig.Honestly there are times when I would love to anchor and toss put some bait and relax. Have never caught anything but bass or catfish on shiners when I've done it at Cumberland.
    Thursday I stayed on the lake until dark it was 65 degrees and no wind I didn't want to leave. Probably won't be seeing that for quit a while. Good luck when you go Peter. This might be my last trip till spring taking the boat in to the shop for a complete floor replacement ( gotta luv Lunds lifetime warrenty) . Then off to Canada for a project till June.
    Likes peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I did see random baitballs 20 ft down but I didn't see much fish activity around them. One day I will figure out how to grow my cast net. I get one decent throw out of 20. Then maybe I can get some good bait. I've watched you tube vids over and over and I'm missing something. It sure would be nice to use good bait for a change, but what I would really would like to get some large fresh shad or alewives and brine cure them. I've always done good trolling cured baits with the slow roll from a 2 hook rig.Honestly there are times when I would love to anchor and toss put some bait and relax. Have never caught anything but bass or catfish on shiners when I've done it at Cumberland.
    Thursday I stayed on the lake until dark it was 65 degrees and no wind I didn't want to leave. Probably won't be seeing that for quit a while. Good luck when you go Peter. This might be my last trip till spring taking the boat in to the shop for a complete floor replacement ( gotta luv Lunds lifetime warrenty) . Then off to Canada for a project till June.
    K, i can show you how to throw a net and get it to open every time...in 2 minutes. As a matter of fact, once you throw it and it opens, it will be difficult to throw it wrong ever again lol. Just send me a msg when it warms up and i will meet you at jtown ramp where we talked that day.
    Likes SOFISHTICATED, peter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    K, i can show you how to throw a net and get it to open every time...in 2 minutes. As a matter of fact, once you throw it and it opens, it will be difficult to throw it wrong ever again lol. Just send me a msg when it warms up and i will meet you at jtown ramp where we talked that day.
    Sign this grasshopper up for the lesson. Breakfast is on me at the Russel Springs Cafe. Thats down town on main street; he..heee.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure how Stripernut1 throws but I've adopted the method in this video and it is virtually full proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho7Q-eeckko

I just lay the net over my arm instead of over my shoulder.
    Key advantages:
    The net weight is distributed over both arms evenly. You won't tire one arm if you are making a ton of casts.
    You do not need to coil the line, which is huge if you are going really deep
    You can tie the pull line off to the boat or dock. This is a safety feature in waters where you could net large fish or get snagged in current where you could get pulled overboard.
    It's so easy to load very quickly.
    You can throw this waist high which means you can throw over the rail of a boat easily.
    Likes SOFISHTICATED, peter liked this post