Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Best high catch rates on lakes within 1.5hrs to Lexington?

I like going out and catching fish, and lots of fish. I don’t mind catching 25dinks in a couple of hours as long as there is one good one (1-2lbs) in there. I have yet to find any lake within 1.5hrs of Lexington that I can get on and just go out and slay them. if I average 1 fish per hour on a lake than I have had an INCREDIBLE day. The best fishery I have found is the Elkhorn, but I am looking for more places. I am in a kayak so I cant cover ground fast like a boat, and I typically stick to 200acres or less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Beaver lake for numbers.
    Likes robertdilbert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Catch ratio

Wilgreen in Richmond

Post Thanks / Like
    I would hit a creek or stream close by. Typically have variety and numbers in the creeks I fish with a couple good ones on most trips.

Post Thanks / Like
    What species are you after ?? (asked pursuant to your designation of 1-2lb size & 25 dinks in a couple of hours)

1.5hrs from Lex leaves you plenty of places, but that size lake is limited. Cedar Creek Lake is 784 acres. Guist Creek Lake is 317 acres. Beaver Lake is 158 acres. Wilgreen Lake is 169 acres. Then there's the KY River, Herrington Lake, Corinth lake, Williamstown Lake, Boltz lake, Bullock Pen Lake, Elmer Davis Lake, Lake Reba, and Lake Linville. I've even seen people fishing out of yaks at Jacobson Park !!

Taylorsville Lake & Cave Run Lake are within that 1.5.hr trip time. And even on the bigger bodies of water listed, there's no law that says you have to cover the whole lake. Go during the week, launch below a spillway or at the headwaters, if possible/necessary.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just moved to Lexington recently but I've found a lot of my luck in Frankfort on the Elkhorn. There's a few nice spots in Georgetown on the Elkhorn as well, but typically the fishing is only worth it if you're willing to Wade or have a kayak. There's a few public Access areas in both town set off from. You can also rent a kayak from Canoe KY if you don't have one and do a float down the creek. I've caught mostly smallmouth on the Elkhorn with artificials, and I've caught bluegill, trout, freshwater drum, and rock bass on red worms and nightcrawlers. But above all the fishing, if you wade out you'll find the creek is just really gorgeous in some areas. Anyway tight lines friend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    Beaver lake for numbers.
    never tried beaver, I'll give it a go

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1678 View Post
    Wilgreen in Richmond
    I always hear wilgreen is great, never had much luck though. I've always done better at Reba if I am in that area

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    I would hit a creek or stream close by. Typically have variety and numbers in the creeks I fish with a couple good ones on most trips.
    The elkhorn is my go to for numbers, just looking for a change

Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    What species are you after ?? (asked pursuant to your designation of 1-2lb size & 25 dinks in a couple of hours)

1.5hrs from Lex leaves you plenty of places, but that size lake is limited. Cedar Creek Lake is 784 acres. Guist Creek Lake is 317 acres. Beaver Lake is 158 acres. Wilgreen Lake is 169 acres. Then there's the KY River, Herrington Lake, Corinth lake, Williamstown Lake, Boltz lake, Bullock Pen Lake, Elmer Davis Lake, Lake Reba, and Lake Linville. I've even seen people fishing out of yaks at Jacobson Park !!

Taylorsville Lake & Cave Run Lake are within that 1.5.hr trip time. And even on the bigger bodies of water listed, there's no law that says you have to cover the whole lake. Go during the week, launch below a spillway or at the headwaters, if possible/necessary.
    typically bass, bluegill and the random catfish/crappie that hit my lure. I haven't tried Linville, Elmer Davis, Boltz or Bullock, i'll give them a go thanks.