Search Fishin.com

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .Evansville
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Fishing Rod Repair

    Does anyone in the Evansville area do rod repair or know someone who does? I have a 7’ Vertigas rod that I would like shortened to 6-1/2’ for more versatility and ease of vehicle transportation.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,028
    Post Thanks / Like

    Good Question

    Quote Originally Posted by RiverRunt View Post
    Does anyone in the Evansville area do rod repair or know someone who does? I have a 7’ Vertigas rod that I would like shortened to 6-1/2’ for more versatility and ease of vehicle transportation.
    I'd like to find some x pert that can repair a split bamboo fly rod that I broke when I was in college. My back cast got caught on a pine tree limb behind me and when I went forward the rod spilt. I tried to glue the split back but it's never been right since then. It was my fathers fly rod and it's not in good shape. I don't use it but wonder if I could get it repaired someday. Just wishful thinking. But still I'd like to know if anyone works on them.

    As far as your rod shorting it may just entail cutting off the tip and gluing a new tip on the end. They may a wax/glue stick that you melt with a candle or lighter and melt the glue onto the end of the road and then stick a new end guide on it. Just make sure it's straight and on right before the glue/wax dries. I've seen new tips at various sporting goods stores that sell fishing rods and fishing equipment. Gander Mountain, Dicks, Allied Sporting Goods may have some rod guide tips.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Albany, Indiana.
    Posts
    7,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I'd like to find some x pert that can repair a split bamboo fly rod that I broke when I was in college. My back cast got caught on a pine tree limb behind me and when I went forward the rod spilt. I tried to glue the split back but it's never been right since then. It was my fathers fly rod and it's not in good shape. I don't use it but wonder if I could get it repaired someday. Just wishful thinking. But still I'd like to know if anyone works on them.

    As far as your rod shorting it may just entail cutting off the tip and gluing a new tip on the end. They may a wax/glue stick that you melt with a candle or lighter and melt the glue onto the end of the road and then stick a new end guide on it. Just make sure it's straight and on right before the glue/wax dries. I've seen new tips at various sporting goods stores that sell fishing rods and fishing equipment. Gander Mountain, Dicks, Allied Sporting Goods may have some rod guide tips.
    Years ago, I had Bruce's custom rods from The Lilly Pad fix a split bamboo rod I have. I actually have two from the turn of the century. Bruce did a FANTASTIC job.

    Unfortunately, he's no longer in business, I think.

    Funny Story.........

    When I brought them in, he offered me gigantic money on the spot for one of them, and said it was worth some money. I told him the story, they were handed down to my Great Great Uncle then to my Great Uncle then to My dad, and finally to me.....so I'd ever sell them.

    He then went on to tell me history of one of the rods, and that they were made England by a rod maker in 1910 or 1912. He hand made about 20 or 30 rods a year, and only made them for 2 years. He was killed in WW1, I guess, so there were less than 100 of these ever made. They were HIGH dollar back then, and extremely sought after. Bruce said he'd never seen one, and only recognized it from the "label" that partially existed.

    They are now insured, and proudly displayed in my fishing room.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0699.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	16080
    Likes RiverRunt liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .Evansville
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Thumbs up Rod Repair

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Years ago, I had Bruce's custom rods from The Lilly Pad fix a split bamboo rod I have. I actually have two from the turn of the century. Bruce did a FANTASTIC job.

    Unfortunately, he's no longer in business, I think.

    Funny Story.........

    When I brought them in, he offered me gigantic money on the spot for one of them, and said it was worth some money. I told him the story, they were handed down to my Great Great Uncle then to my Great Uncle then to My dad, and finally to me.....so I'd ever sell them.

    He then went on to tell me history of one of the rods, and that they were made England by a rod maker in 1910 or 1912. He hand made about 20 or 30 rods a year, and only made them for 2 years. He was killed in WW1, I guess, so there were less than 100 of these ever made. They were HIGH dollar back then, and extremely sought after. Bruce said he'd never seen one, and only recognized it from the "label" that partially existed.

    They are now insured, and proudly displayed in my fishing room.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0699.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	16080


    I met a professor from Southern Illinois University (study of insects) that was to speak at an annual meeting of Evansville’s Fly Rod Club. He made bamboo fly rods and had brought several works of his art with him. After learning about the process and man hours that went into the construction, I then realized why the bamboo rods are so expensive.

Similar Threads

  1. Fishing reel repair?
    By Lowerider in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-26-2017, 06:04 AM
  2. rod repair
    By toomanycasts in forum Indiana Discussion Board
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-02-2012, 03:06 PM
  3. Fishing reel repair needed.
    By IronWorker in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 03:38 AM
  4. Rod repair
    By WIZARD in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-16-2008, 09:48 PM
  5. Rod repair
    By bassbuddy in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2007, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •