Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Rod Repair

Does anyone in the Evansville area do rod repair or know someone who does? I have a 7’ Vertigas rod that I would like shortened to 6-1/2’ for more versatility and ease of vehicle transportation.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Question

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRunt View Post
    Does anyone in the Evansville area do rod repair or know someone who does? I have a 7’ Vertigas rod that I would like shortened to 6-1/2’ for more versatility and ease of vehicle transportation.
    I'd like to find some x pert that can repair a split bamboo fly rod that I broke when I was in college. My back cast got caught on a pine tree limb behind me and when I went forward the rod spilt. I tried to glue the split back but it's never been right since then. It was my fathers fly rod and it's not in good shape. I don't use it but wonder if I could get it repaired someday. Just wishful thinking. But still I'd like to know if anyone works on them.

As far as your rod shorting it may just entail cutting off the tip and gluing a new tip on the end. They may a wax/glue stick that you melt with a candle or lighter and melt the glue onto the end of the road and then stick a new end guide on it. Just make sure it's straight and on right before the glue/wax dries. I've seen new tips at various sporting goods stores that sell fishing rods and fishing equipment. Gander Mountain, Dicks, Allied Sporting Goods may have some rod guide tips.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moveon View Post
    I'd like to find some x pert that can repair a split bamboo fly rod that I broke when I was in college. My back cast got caught on a pine tree limb behind me and when I went forward the rod spilt. I tried to glue the split back but it's never been right since then. It was my fathers fly rod and it's not in good shape. I don't use it but wonder if I could get it repaired someday. Just wishful thinking. But still I'd like to know if anyone works on them.

As far as your rod shorting it may just entail cutting off the tip and gluing a new tip on the end. They may a wax/glue stick that you melt with a candle or lighter and melt the glue onto the end of the road and then stick a new end guide on it. Just make sure it's straight and on right before the glue/wax dries. I've seen new tips at various sporting goods stores that sell fishing rods and fishing equipment. Gander Mountain, Dicks, Allied Sporting Goods may have some rod guide tips.
    Years ago, I had Bruce's custom rods from The Lilly Pad fix a split bamboo rod I have. I actually have two from the turn of the century. Bruce did a FANTASTIC job.

Unfortunately, he's no longer in business, I think.

Funny Story.........

When I brought them in, he offered me gigantic money on the spot for one of them, and said it was worth some money. I told him the story, they were handed down to my Great Great Uncle then to my Great Uncle then to My dad, and finally to me.....so I'd ever sell them.

He then went on to tell me history of one of the rods, and that they were made England by a rod maker in 1910 or 1912. He hand made about 20 or 30 rods a year, and only made them for 2 years. He was killed in WW1, I guess, so there were less than 100 of these ever made. They were HIGH dollar back then, and extremely sought after. Bruce said he'd never seen one, and only recognized it from the "label" that partially existed.

They are now insured, and proudly displayed in my fishing room.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0699.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	16080
    Likes RiverRunt, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Rod Repair

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Years ago, I had Bruce's custom rods from The Lilly Pad fix a split bamboo rod I have. I actually have two from the turn of the century. Bruce did a FANTASTIC job.

Funny Story.........

When I brought them in, he offered me gigantic money on the spot for one of them, and said it was worth some money. I told him the story, they were handed down to my Great Great Uncle then to my Great Uncle then to My dad, and finally to me.....so I'd ever sell them.

He then went on to tell me history of one of the rods, and that they were made England by a rod maker in 1910 or 1912. He hand made about 20 or 30 rods a year, and only made them for 2 years. He was killed in WW1, I guess, so there were less than 100 of these ever made. They were HIGH dollar back then, and extremely sought after. Bruce said he'd never seen one, and only recognized it from the "label" that partially existed.

I met a professor from Southern Illinois University (study of insects) that was to speak at an annual meeting of Evansville’s Fly Rod Club. He made bamboo fly rods and had brought several works of his art with him. After learning about the process and man hours that went into the construction, I then realized why the bamboo rods are so expensive.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good Story Geo

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post

Funny Story.........

Those older fly rods are valuable and heirlooms so treasure them. Especially when they are given to you from your father. My dad is gone now. He died in 2001 a week before 911. But I have all his fishing stuff still. Tackle boxes full of old fishing lures and over 40 rods and reels now plus all the one's I purchased ovcer the years. And I'm not fishing much anymore these days due to health concerns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those older fly rods are valuable and heirlooms so treasure them. Especially when they are given to you from your father. My dad is gone now. He died in 2001 a week before 911. But I have all his fishing stuff still. Tackle boxes full of old fishing lures and over 40 rods and reels now plus all the one's I purchased ovcer the years. And I'm not fishing much anymore these days due to health concerns.
    I would imagine that some of those old lures could still be works of art (Creek Chubs, Heddons, Arbogast, Bombers, Hawaiian Wigglers, etc.) and perhaps valuable dependent on their condition.

I still have a few old Bombers in their original boxes for keep sakes and some non collectible Bombers and River Runts fro eBay that I still use on the Ohio, strip pits and Canada. Even used them briefly years back on a trip with Dave Stewart. Catching is even more enjoyable for a 70 year old on these 60+ year old “relics”!

Post Thanks / Like

thhe key is to still have the boxes they came in

Quote Originally Posted by RiverRunt View Post
    I would imagine that some of those old lures could still be works of art (Creek Chubs, Heddons, Arbogast, Bombers, Hawaiian Wigglers, etc.) and perhaps valuable dependent on their condition.

I still have a few old Bombers in their original boxes for keep sakes and some non collectible Bombers and River Runts fro eBay that I still use on the Ohio, strip pits and Canada. Even used them briefly years back on a trip with Dave Stewart. Catching is even more enjoyable for a 70 year old on these 60+ year old “relics”!
    I wish I still had the original boxes that they came in.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I still had the original boxes that they came in.
    Notice the lure collection under those fly rods..............I have a whole bunch of antique lures. Some I've collected and pieced together, some were given to me.

I have a whole bunch of nice boxes and paper, but the lures were not inside.......so I've been using a few sources to purchase matching lures.