Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

FINALLY Back Home in Kentucky!

After being gone 30 years while playing State Trooper in Ohio, I finally retired and am back home in Kentucky. I'm looking forward to the much improved fishing opportunities here as opposed to what I suffered through up there! I reside in the Bardstown area and plan to spend a great deal of time on Cedar Creek and Nolin Lakes this spring, but I have a question for you all:
    I found a little lake in Washington County (Willisburg Lake) and was wondering if many of you all have fished it. It looks ok "on paper," but wanted to see if it's worth the time and effort to bass fish it. Thanks in advance and I must say that it's awfully nice to be home!
    Likes Bardcard, PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nvrgiveup View Post
    After being gone 30 years while playing State Trooper in Ohio, I finally retired and am back home in Kentucky. I'm looking forward to the much improved fishing opportunities here as opposed to what I suffered through up there! I reside in the Bardstown area and plan to spend a great deal of time on Cedar Creek and Nolin Lakes this spring, but I have a question for you all:
    I found a little lake in Washington County (Willisburg Lake) and was wondering if many of you all have fished it. It looks ok "on paper," but wanted to see if it's worth the time and effort to bass fish it. Thanks in advance and I must say that it's awfully nice to be home!
    I’ve fished Willisburg twice. Both were small night tournaments and during one, there was a 6+ lber weighed in. During the other on, nothing special was weighed in. Just average keepers. I like the lake though. It was rock and some shoreline grass.

Post Thanks / Like
    Several Willisburg threads on here, do a forum search up there ^^^ for Willisburg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nvrgiveup View Post
    I did some work near Bardstown and would carry some fishing gear with me, there is a small lake on highway 62 close to Bardstown, it's called Sympson lake,I fished it from the bank near the Dam and caught some hybirds and several keeper size bass, not on the same day but over the summer and fall, also fished the creek that runs through Bardstown, it's called beech fork I think, highway 31 E crosses it and you can see a rock dam from the bridge, I caught some nice crappy fishing off the rocks below the dam, and where the Bluegrass parkway crosses beech fork between the exits going into Bardstown, I fished below the bridge upstream about 50 yards from the bridge, near some large boulders and had a blast one afternoon catching several good size drum, caught the drum on a hair jig with a swimbait as a trailer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I did some work near Bardstown and would carry some fishing gear with me, there is a small lake on highway 62 close to Bardstown, it's called Sympson lake,I fished it from the bank near the Dam and caught some hybirds and several keeper size bass, not on the same day but over the summer and fall, also fished the creek that runs through Bardstown, it's called beech fork I think, highway 31 E crosses it and you can see a rock dam from the bridge, I caught some nice crappy fishing off the rocks below the dam, and where the Bluegrass parkway crosses beech fork between the exits going into Bardstown, I fished below the bridge upstream about 50 yards from the bridge, near some large boulders and had a blast one afternoon catching several good size drum, caught the drum on a hair jig with a swimbait as a trailer.
    Simpson lake is a paylake. I'm pretty sure you have to buy a permit to fish it but there are good fish in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsniper05 View Post
    Simpson lake is a paylake. I'm pretty sure you have to buy a permit to fish it but there are good fish in there.
    you could be right, but when I first fished it a guy was crappy fishing near the spillway and I asked him if anyone was allowed to fish there, he said if you have fishing license, I fished it a couple times a week for several months, never was checked by an officer or anyone else, a guy fishing from a boat stopped and was talking to me, he said he had caught a 9 lb bass from that lake, I caught several bass there but about 3 lb was the best I ever got.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info, fellas. Now all we need is a warm stretch of temps in the 60's for about a week and a good 70 degree rain and the boat will be in the water! Y'all have a good weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cpsniper05 View Post
    It's free with ky fishing license from the bank. You have to buy a permit to launch a boat.