Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Building Confidence in Baits

I feel that as anglers we sometimes get "hooked" on our go to confidence baits. I know that I have spent the whole day throwing the same baits without success...because I feel comfortable with them. My New Year resolution was to use more baits that I lack confidence in...and grow my techniques and presentations. I was rewarded on this trip with a chunky 5+ pound bass.

Likes headbanger liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been putting together different setups to use this year, but here is the problem I have. Understand, I am complaining. I just have to stay in my limits as to how much I can spend on fishing equipment. What I am trying to say is I wish I had one of those trolling motors that can keep you stationary in one spot while you fish. The reason is that for me I have trouble slowing down my presentation, especially in these winter months. I guess I am wired 240 when I need to be 120. So if the weather conditions are windy it is hard to stay in one spot long enough to allow your setup to work the way it should. I think some of the best fishing days are windy days when plankton, baitfish are pushed up on the banks. Maybe one day I can upgrade the old trolling motor and use the slower techniques such as the NED rig a little better. Sometimes slower is faster when it comes to putting fish in the boat.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think we all have something that's needs a bit of work as anglers, whether it be lures, boat control, patterns, ect.
    Heck, I have a fancy sonar with side imaging that I rarely use. I keep telling myself one day am leaving the rods at home and focusing on finding structure...I am still waiting on that day.

I have the 101 lb thrust Terrova, and must say it does make boat control a bit easier on windy days...just gotta get used to the slower reaction vs a cable steer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job and nice fish, I get stuck in the same ruts myself.

For those who would like to subscribe to the youtube channel...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8q...mApjUScDn2_ZOg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    I have been putting together different setups to use this year, but here is the problem I have. Understand, I am complaining. I just have to stay in my limits as to how much I can spend on fishing equipment. What I am trying to say is I wish I had one of those trolling motors that can keep you stationary in one spot while you fish. The reason is that for me I have trouble slowing down my presentation, especially in these winter months. I guess I am wired 240 when I need to be 120. So if the weather conditions are windy it is hard to stay in one spot long enough to allow your setup to work the way it should. I think some of the best fishing days are windy days when plankton, baitfish are pushed up on the banks. Maybe one day I can upgrade the old trolling motor and use the slower techniques such as the NED rig a little better. Sometimes slower is faster when it comes to putting fish in the boat.
    The key is to always fish into the wind. Keeping the wind in your face let’s you control how fast you move down a bank.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dabassking View Post
    The key is to always fish into the wind. Keeping the wind in your face let’s you control how fast you move down a bank.
    This is true even with the spot lock trolling motors, I have a Terrova and the same holds true...gotta keep it pointed into the wind for it to work well on windy days.

Post Thanks / Like
    my trouble is...i want to catch em they way i like to fish.
    i want to cast at a bush with a spinnerbait or jig like you could 40 years ago.
    watching a sonar while doodling 30 foot deep ain't fun for me.
    if they won't bite my way, i go home.
    good thing i don't fish for a living.

Post Thanks / Like
    I enjoy trying new techniques, but like many am guilty of having a go to set up or two that I fall back on. What I have learned over this past year is to take advantage of taking others fishing. I have made some new friends who have had different experiences than me with fishing and picked up new ideas or alternate ideas to those that I have existing. It has made fishing more fun for me this year. After picking up on the new ideas I take the time to make them fit me and my style. Been fun like I said!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    I enjoy trying new techniques, but like many am guilty of having a go to set up or two that I fall back on. What I have learned over this past year is to take advantage of taking others fishing. I have made some new friends who have had different experiences than me with fishing and picked up new ideas or alternate ideas to those that I have existing. It has made fishing more fun for me this year. After picking up on the new ideas I take the time to make them fit me and my style. Been fun like I said!
    It is always nice to bring others with, plus like you said sometimes you learn a few new tricks.
    One thing is for sure like you said, you have to keep it fun...or else it would be called work instead of fishing.