Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

cumberland river stripers and walleye

I am looking for information about striper fishing and walleye fishing on the cumberland river in the Burksville and Celina areas. How early in the year can you catch them, what type of baits, etc. Do you need to watch the generator reports from the dam? Any help is greatly appreciated. I have put in at the ramp below Celina and fished the up river stretch a few times but never with any luck mostly because I don't know what i am doing. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Book a trip with Capt. Jim Durham (striperfun.com), he does really well in the river.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are going to the right spot. It is one of my favorite spots. I have seen Captain Jim there many times as well as all the local boys.

I prefer cloudy with some current from Wolf Creek Dam But not strong. Turkey season is during the month of April and all the local boys are trolling that strip hard by then.

I do best in the areas ranging 15-20' deep. If you fish on a Saturday you can ride up and down the river 5 or 6 miles and see where everyone is fishing.

If you fish the Cumberland in Kentucky you will need to purchase a trout stamp even if you do not fish for trout. It is the law.
    Likes fishincreek liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Burkesville striper

The local guys fish Striper in the river from May-October. They troll going downstream with two or three planer boards pulling shad or whatever they can catch or artificials if they don't have live bait. Couple of the local guys are Johnny Rush and Aaron??? ( butcher at Hutchens grocery store). Generation down that far is not as important as it is up at the dam. We are about 10 hours behind down there. We have a house on the river about three miles downstream from Trace's it has a nice ramp if you need a place to basecamp out of let me know.