Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Help Lake Barkley fishing leaving Eddy Creek Marina

Hi
    Me and my brother are going crappie fishing out of Eddy Creek from April 4th until the 8th. Looking for some information on where i might be able to hook into a couple. My boat isn't equipped for fishing with a spider rig so were just probably going to casting with minnows. It there are some better rigs, it would be great. If anyone has suggestions I would appreciate it.

Casedog

Post Thanks / Like
    Navionics has a bunch of stake beds marked on their map.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I'd put one pole down over the side with a regular hook/sinker/minnow (or even a slipfloat rig) while slowly easing around the banks .... and meanwhile cast a 1/16oz Road Runner marabou jig (pink or chartreuse) around visible cover and up onto sand or pea gravel banks.

Never fished Eddy Creek, so I'm not familiar with it. But, if you don't mind trailering the boat a little ways, you might take a day and go down to Little River ... Barkley State Park Marina ramp ... go (right) around the marina & fish the rip rap bank from the end boat slips all the way around to the point in front of the Retreat Center. If you don't catch any Crappie along the rip rap & rocky bank between them ... then they aren't in shallow, yet. I've done from fair to limits along that bank ... but, that was quite a long time ago & later in the month of April.

Post Thanks / Like
    This reminded me of something a fisherman told a fishing friend of mine a couple weeks ago, you asked for some info and got a couple good replies that sounded helpful, and that is great, good sportsmanship. Well here is a little story from a couple weeks ago, a friend and I went to lake Okeechobee crappy fishing, we fished and caught 24 good ones, all about the same size, about a pound and half size fish, when we went to clean them at the cleaning station where we stayed, we had to get in line and wait our turn, everyone was talking about fishing, and we shared info of what we caught ours on and the area we were fishing, now these guys were cleaning there fish and there were 4 of them and they were from ky, there boat had ky stickers on it, and they had a 5 gallon bucket of nice size crappy, my friend complemented them on ther catch and asked what area were you guys fishing, and the guy that was using the knife said, we fished the crappy hole and never laughed or said another word, like it would cost them a fish if someone should fish the area they were fishing, we’re not talking about fishing a small lake like some in ky, that lake is like the ocean, you can’t see across it, and the crappy we’re there to be caught, about any place you could get out of the wind. Just thought I’de share that, some fishermen are willing to shar info to help others and some are really selfish and won’t share anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Casedog I don't have any info you unfortunately. I do have a suggestion that might improve the help you get on the forum.

Post a report.

Looking through your posts I see double-digit requests for help, and a couple promises to give a report after your trip, but if there's an actual report anywhere I can't find it. If I'm wrong on that, let me know.

Not trying to be disagreeable or pick an argument, just trying to help you out and make the forum a better place for all.
    Likes CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

crappie fishing lake barkley out of eddieville

Thanks for all the information on fishing out of Eddie Creek.
    Someone say that I promised to sent out information on my trip but I didn't. I thought I had but that was 3 years ago and sometimes I'm not sure what i did yesterday.. Forgive me.

Our last trip out of Eddie creek was a struggle. We fished some deep water but the only place that we had any luck was on the wall of the dam right across of the marina. Out of the 4 days we caught about 20 fish. A couple drum, a couple nice small mouth, a catfish and about 15 crappie. hopefully we can do better this year. We did eat at Patties and that was delicious.

On the navigation points and structures I'm not exactly how to even find them. I'm new on fishing a larger lakes.

Thanks again on the information.

Casedog
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

crappie fishing lake barkley out of eddieville

I understand a little more about lake Barkley every time I go down but you need help because the lake is so huge and is rather overwhelming, but that's what makes the adventure fun. This has been my second year and I got to see the stake beds this year. It's hard to find the some of the brush piles that they say are marked. I really appreciate all the help on the stake beds and the brush piles and understanding that there are many other brush piles all over the lake.

I just got back from my trip and we had a great time even though it snowed, got really cold and the wind blowing too hard to fish. I guess it's hard this time of the year to figure out a perfect date to go. I hear this week is supposed to be great.
    We caught 7 nice crappie and about 15 small white bass. We fished along the road with there was some rip rap but were having no luck and spotting no fish. We went under the bridge to the other side of the road where there were about 20 boats so we watched them down about 100 yards down past everyone and watched them. Some guys in a boat came buy and we started talking and they told me there was a old creek bed that was about 4 feet deeper than the 10 feet we were fishing. I asked them if they were fishing cover and they told me no one out there were fishing cover that they were just trolling slow from 6' to 14'. We ended up catching some fish and getting a hang what they were all doing.

The water temp was 55 and they said the fish will really start getting better at 62 degree. The crappie were just starting to come up from the deeper water. I might try to get down there again in about 10 days.
    We tried to get out yesterday but the wind was terrible. I didn't see anyone out.

If I go back down, ill let you know how things go.

Thanks

I posted this 2 times so everyone could see it.

Thanks for all the positive information that I received
    Likes redearhoosier, jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice report, very nice! You guys had the coldest spring weekend in years and that hurts. If you come back in 10 days, you should do better and may hit it square.