Search Fishin.com

Thread: A little late

Post Thanks / Like

A little late

The POTUS has sid he will impose ytariffs on imported manufacted metals. Those of us who worked in the mills asked many times for that action.Foreign government metals were being dumped below costs here in the U.S.. But the rep. rural congreessmen were only worried about the farm vote.Almost all the mills have been shut down, the workers pension plans and medical insurance terminated or reduced.That was over 25 years ago, NOW they want to act? Not only is the horse gone, the farm is now a walmart, sound the charge!!!rescue american workers HAH HAH

Post Thanks / Like

The way I see this

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    The POTUS has sid he will impose ytariffs on imported manufacted metals. Those of us who worked in the mills asked many times for that action.Foreign government metals were being dumped below costs here in the U.S.. But the rep. rural congreessmen were only worried about the farm vote.Almost all the mills have been shut down, the workers pension plans and medical insurance terminated or reduced.That was over 25 years ago, NOW they want to act? Not only is the horse gone, the farm is now a walmart, sound the charge!!!rescue american workers HAH HAH
    The problem with our country is that we have to pay the workers more than other countries. Labor cost drive up the cost of the products. Over seas they use kids and work them to death for little pay. How can American compete with those low labor costs. They also don't have to comply with the pollution and safety laws that we have in the States. We care about our workers and pay them better and try to protect them as the same time.

So we are not playing on an equal playing field when it comes to manufacturing things like Aluminum or Steel. Our costs are higher. So the tariff should help our companies that make aluminum here. The overseas countries are dumping their aluminum here at a cheaper price. ALCOA and other aluminum smelters shut down for a while as they could not compete. Now they are reopening these smelters in my area and giving people their jobs back. But with that comes more air pollution for rest of us. That helps he Hospitals bottom line though. As the more people that get sick from breathing in the Air Pollution the more money the Doctors and hospitals and mortuary's make.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, do you two agree that Trump is making a difference?

I've always said that Fair Trade and Free Trade are two different things. In a perfect world you'd never tariff goods from another country competing with your goods. BUT, we don't live in a perfect world. China and India are dumping steel and aluminum into this country, collapsing our industry.

I don't believe in protectionism, but I DO believe in leveling the playing field. IF China and India can compete on a level playing ground, then fine.........but if they cannot, we will find out really, really soon.

Later,

Geo