Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tips for fishing a spinnerbait

I've caught fishes and had some success of many lures, such as worms, cranks, frogs and so on, but not a spinnerbait. I’m curious how you guys fish a spinnerbait. Any tips will help thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

my spinnerbait success

I actually don't fish spinnerbait much, but most of my success has come on a white spinnerbait slow rolled in cold water or drug through timber in stained water. I like a big Colorado blade for both scenarios.

The other way I fish is with multiple willow leaf blades and burnin' it in a bright color. Do this mostly around smallmouth waters, but can work in places a buzzbait would work.

I'm no expert, but hope that helps.

RJP

Post Thanks / Like
    there are numerous ways to fish a spinner bait. At night I like a black color with a black blade or copper I want a large Colorado slow retrieve and stop it a couple of times and let it fall a few seconds. I always put a trailer on my spinner bait usually a 3 " curly tail grub.

Day time I like to throw around weeds or stick ups buck brush etc. I will throw the bait up close to the shore if it has weeds that aren't to the surface I will bring the bait over the top of the weeds and when it gets to the edge of the weeds I let it drop for a few seconds.

I like to throw around stumps and lay downs you need the bait bumping the limbs or stumps and again I will stop the bait for a few seconds after it comes over a limb. Some times I throw on a ledge or point and let it drop to the bottom and then lift it off the bottom and then let it drop to the bottom and repeat several times then straight retrieve if lifting it doesn't get you bit try ripping it off the bottom. Most of the time I throw a double willow blade you can through nickle and gold or both gold or both silver.
    Again I always throw it with a trailer like the grub you might throw the white with Chartreuse grub or white with white I also throw a chartreuse with chartreuse grub or white grub.

when you fish a spinner bait and slow the bait down or stop it the skirt will flair open and can fool a fish that is following your bait. Keep experimenting with you retrieve jerk the rod a couple of times while reeling stop it slow it down zig zag it throw next to timber and let the bait drop and watch your line if a bass hits it on the drop your line will jump

Good luck
    Likes waterdog101, riverrat12, FishingStone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Wind is your friend with a spinnerbait. It excels in low light conditions and stained water also. Generally if it's high skies and slick, I'll leave it in the box. A tandem Willow and colorado blade is a good all around choice. You can cover a lot of water too. Roll cast around heavy cover to keep a lower trajectory and keep the splash down. You don't want plop the bait in the water. The softer it lands the better. You can bomb cast when covering larger flats for example. Just throw it till you get the hang of it. You want baits that don't roll to the side also. Most of the premium brands are good. I like war eagles for off the shelf baits. I like their smaller profile. Good luck.
    Likes riverrat12, Bent Loomis, jcb, FishingStone liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this does not answer your question but I could write for thirty minutes explaining how, why, what color, what type and when I fish a spinnerbait so without going into a epic reply I will give one tip and one comment...if there is a light ripple on the water you had better have on a spinnerbait...you will build confidence in them them the more you throw them if you have not used them much.
    Likes riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's often good to try and sometimes cast it beyond the ideal spot you are targeting and retrieve it through the spot instead of casting into the spot.

I know many people like to often vary their retrieves with a spinnerbait and while I will do that at times for some reason I often have my best success with a slower more steady retrieve.

Post Thanks / Like
    love fishing at night in the summer, when the water is warm and the smallmouth are deep, a black spinnerbait with a big round single chop blade and a uncle josh pork trailer, fish it just like fishing a jig, cast to bank on a good main lake point and slow roll it to deeper water, touching bottom now and then, about 2;am and hold on.
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    love fishing at night in the summer, when the water is warm and the smallmouth are deep, a black spinnerbait with a big round single chop blade and a uncle josh pork trailer, fish it just like fishing a jig, cast to bank on a good main lake point and slow roll it to deeper water, touching bottom now and then, about 2;am and hold on.
    And walleys HATE it when you do that too lol