Search Fishin.com

Thread: green river

Post Thanks / Like

Question green river

does anyone know if the ramps at green are able to be used now with the water 14 feet over pool?????

Post Thanks / Like
    To check for high water ramp closures, call the Corps automated information line at (270) 465-8824.

(that's all I know to tell you, sorry)

Post Thanks / Like
    Talked to a friend who's a Crappie guide on Green, and he says no ramps are usable "yet".

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished Green today 3/6 and had no issues unloading and loading by myself. The Mt Carmel/Butler creek ramp is usable as long as the water is not over 20 ft high. As long as it's in the teens you can unload from the turnaround/road. Once it hits 20 ft or higher you lose the slope of the turnaround/road. However there is something you need to watch for though. Where the telephone pole has water around it there is a sign that is under the water. Just avoid the telephone pole and give it 15 yards on each side. There is also a couple of small trees under water but you can still see them so just avoid the trees but make sure you don't avoid the tree and hit the sign that's underwater that you can not see.

Mt Carmel/Butler is the best high water ramp on the lake as long as you know where to unload. That is the good news now here is a couple things I do not like about that ramp. The road to get to the ramp is a little narrow for my liking. There is a lot of farmland in the area and it seems like I always meet a tractor with a wide load and this will cause the road to get tight real quick. Plus I do not like the fact that it is on a dead end road in the middle of nowhere. I can be at either Holmes Bend or Mt Carmel/Butler in 5 minutes from where I live. I use Mt Carmel/Butler every time the water is high. I have never had anything happen to my truck or trailer but I just don't like leaving it in an area where nobody is around. There is no way I would use it for a night trip. Daytime yes but I would not chance it at night. One other thing is parking can get tight if there is more than 7-8 people using the area. There always seems to be a jackwagon that wants to park close to the water but this blocks the turnaround. Even at summer pool if you put 10 trailers in there it can get tight because there is no designated parking so people just park where they want to and sometimes this creates wasted space.

3/6 there was only two boats at the Mt Carmel/Butler ramp. Myself and someone in a Nitro with a tandem trailer. In fact we pretty much had the entire lake to ourselves. From Butler to Plum Point I only saw the Nitro and one other guy in a Pro Craft. This is the first time in my 20 plus years of fishing the lake that I saw 0 crappie boats on a warm day in March. I was also amazed that I only saw 3 bass boats considering how nice the weather was.

I saw 53-55* water temperature and light stain to medium stain everywhere I went. In fact I kind of like the color but that's just my opinion. I drove by Sunday 3/3 and talked to a guy loading out and he said it was muddy everywhere. I never saw an area that I would call muddy but the entire lake does have a stain. Fishing was slow but I did manage to catch a musky out of the parking lot at Holmes Bend.

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy launched Sunday at the lone valley ramp (GRL state park)

The lake has only come down since then so you should be able to launch there with no problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    site 1 ramp just reopened yesterday. Green is only about 4 feet above summer pool now and dropping quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by roughlake85 View Post
    site 1 ramp just reopened yesterday. Green is only about 4 feet above summer pool now and dropping quickly.
    Thats correct. Green River lake is currently 4.19' above summer pool. Surface temp is around 43 degrees. I fished it yesterday evening for a couple hours and caught a bunch of crappie with several nice keepers. Fish are scattered over deep cover and creek channels. I caught all mine on jigs tipped with crappie nibbles between 15 and 21' deep.Water was very stained with maybe 6-8" visibility in the robinson creek arm near lone valley ramp. Other parts of the lake may have better clarity but I had to fish where I could last night because the wind was RIPPING.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow I did not realize the water temp had fell that much. Looking at my post about the conditions 3/6 and comparing them to the conditions posted for 3/15 the temp is down 10*. I work 3/17 and then I will be on vacation until 4/4...Hopefully in the next couple of weeks conditions improve for Green and Cumberland. Even if it don't it will still be better than work LOL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    Wow I did not realize the water temp had fell that much. Looking at my post about the conditions 3/6 and comparing them to the conditions posted for 3/15 the temp is down 10*. I work 3/17 and then I will be on vacation until 4/4...Hopefully in the next couple of weeks conditions improve for Green and Cumberland. Even if it don't it will still be better than work LOL.

LOL ... yeah, a couple of snow storms and freezing temps day/night will do that to the surface temps !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    Went again yesterday. Same pattern as thursday and caught a bunch with 8 keepers total. Water clarity was some better and the surface temp started around 47 in the morning. I sound water as warm as 50 degrees back in a small creek. It wont be long!