Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

I RAIL against Unions all the time.

You guys know it, and have heard it. Here is a prime example why......

"
    Union coffee boys made out like bandits while working on the sprawling Hudson Yards development project in New York, making between $42 and $70 per hour to hand-deliver the caffeinated beverages, a lawsuit filed Monday alleges.

The largest development company in Manhattan said the coffee scheme was some of the financial cruft that unnecessarily inflated the project's costs by more than $100 million, The New York Post reported, citing the lawsuit.

Related Cos. subsidiary Hudson Yards Construction LLC brought the claim in New York State court against the Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York, a union umbrella group.

“In the month of February 2015 alone, for the privilege of selling coffee and snacks at the Project, Coffee Boy #1 was compensated for 155 hours work, of which 45 hours were classified as overtime payable at time and a half or $69.87 per hour including benefits,” the lawsuit charged.

"

Of course this was reported on Fox News, so it is obviously a lie.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/06...t-charges.html

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

So how much

Did the delivery boys make 40 bucks an hour? So did individual delivery "boys" have contracts? Now WHO bought this coffee?Surely this was covered by more than one "news" outlet, bears looking into.

Post Thanks / Like

Did you note the lineage?

Yes there are still mafia controlled unions.BUT most of them are law abiding and are monitored quite closlely by the NLRB.But only use a broad brush in your paintings of things you don't like. Fine disband ALL the unions, make the national pay scale 5 bucks and hour. How much insurance would your company sell? and to who? Right now less than 15% of american workers are organized, and most of them are in the public sector you realy believe the tail wags the dog?
    Likes RSP53 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Like everything, there is Pro's and Con's, I used to work for a company that was a "closed" shop, basically you had to be in the union, equal pay for everyone and didn't matter if you were a better toolmaker then the others, on the other hand you were getting yearly raises and benefits were great, very few unions remain. Now in NYC I can go to MSG for a concert and pay $125 for nose bleed seats or see the same band at the Arts Center in NJ for $40, and why, MSG is union everything from sound to lights to security and all adds to ticket price, I see shows at the PNC arts center all the time, same show and better seats for a lot less.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That's probably against the law somehow

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    You guys know it, and have heard it. Here is a prime example why......

"
    Union coffee boys made out like bandits while working on the sprawling Hudson Yards development project in New York, making between $42 and $70 per hour to hand-deliver the caffeinated beverages, a lawsuit filed Monday alleges.

The largest development company in Manhattan said the coffee scheme was some of the financial cruft that unnecessarily inflated the project's costs by more than $100 million, The New York Post reported, citing the lawsuit.

Related Cos. subsidiary Hudson Yards Construction LLC brought the claim in New York State court against the Building and Construction Trades Council of Greater New York, a union umbrella group.

“In the month of February 2015 alone, for the privilege of selling coffee and snacks at the Project, Coffee Boy #1 was compensated for 155 hours work, of which 45 hours were classified as overtime payable at time and a half or $69.87 per hour including benefits,” the lawsuit charged.

"

Of course this was reported on Fox News, so it is obviously a lie.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/06...t-charges.html

Later,

Geo
    I'm not anti union but at times I think that unions can over do it. But I see this an a problem for the law as this is fraud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill M of NJ View Post
    Like everything, there is Pro's and Con's, I used to work for a company that was a "closed" shop, basically you had to be in the union, equal pay for everyone and didn't matter if you were a better toolmaker then the others, on the other hand you were getting yearly raises and benefits were great, very few unions remain. Now in NYC I can go to MSG for a concert and pay $125 for nose bleed seats or see the same band at the Arts Center in NJ for $40, and why, MSG is union everything from sound to lights to security and all adds to ticket price, I see shows at the PNC arts center all the time, same show and better seats for a lot less.
    I don't think any company is honest, union or nonunion, I've worked for 5 different companies in my life, and seen where they all crooked, I worked the first 23 years of my adult life for a nonunion company, everyones pay was different, even doing the same job, when a new position came open, everyone that worked there new it would go to a family member of the guy that ran the company, not the man that owned the company but the guy that was over the company. i worked 15 years and stayed 50 cents behind a couple guys that had been there when I started, the boss hired his son and it wasn't long until he was making the same pay as i was, so one day on lunch we were all together and I asked the boss for the other 50 cents to make my pay equal to the other guys that was making top pay, and he said you won't ever get the pay they do, they have been here longer than you have, and that was when I asked him with the whole crowd listening, I said whats the difference between these guys being here longer than me, and I will never get the pay they do, and i have been here about 8 years longer than your son and he makes the same pay I do, he turned and walked off and said as he left, be glad you make what you do. it took another 10 years until that guy was replaced, and the guy that took his place was on the job one day and I got a chance to talk to him, I told him the story and asked if he thought I deserved top pay like the rest, he said it will be on your next check, long story but true, thats one thing I like about a union, if you have been there one week and another guy has been there 10 years and you are doing the same job you get the same pay, and if there is a cut back and a few workers has to go, the ten year guy stays and the one week old guy goes, it don't matter which one does the better job, it's fair to all workers. I have seen a lot of workers done wrong over the years, and I perfer a union ten to one over nonunion, another thing that nonunion company did, it would say it sold out, changing it's name but the click that ran the company never changed, each time the first thing they did was a pay cut, the last time they sold, they asked us to take a 5 bucks an hour cut, so I left and got a job with a company that was in a union, they excepted me and I never looked back, retired with health insurance and a pension, I think most that are against a union, has never worked for one and has no chance to ever work for one, in my opinion a Union protects the employees from the things like, favoritism shown to relatives and friends at the work place, and equal pay to all both male and female.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen unions work and unions not work. I've never been in a union and turned down union jobs early on. My biggest issue is the protectionism in a union, where folks are protected who should NEVER have a job. I've seen that in a whole lot of cases.

Now, my wife's step dad, he was in a printers union at a newspaper, and I actually agreed with some of the discussions about how the union handled issues....Mostly safety issues......

My disdain for unions could all be based on ******** too........I've never been in one, only what I've see from the bad optics .

I do appreciate the stories from folks here, that paint a different and broader picture for me.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

closed minds and ears for corporate BS

Not only did I belong to several unions, i actually became the presedent of one[now defunct].The first thiing any union official is toldis unless you work for the union, THEEMPLOYER PAYS YOUR WAGES..So you guys figure that ball I did was make sure that loafers and FUs were protected.WRONG if the work that the screw offs didn't do needed to be done, they worked harder, and they didn't complain to the boss first, it was to a union rep.Icouldn't file a complaint against a member, but the floor supervisors already knew who the slackers were.I knew who the screw ups were, why didn't the company? I personally wouldn't offer member union ship till they had their probation finished We didn't need to join a union, bu almost everyone did.Those who didn't got the chance to eat alone or complain about working conditions to the employer,and when a griever or stewert was told about the complaint, they just said he isn't being picked on, hes just being told to do HIS job, and don't go bothering the other help.By the way I was brought up on charges 4 times by fired workers to the NLRB. My pay as an officer? nothing, but any incured provable expensenes were reimbursed.I also got a 20 buck check once a month. I was back ground checked, and bonded. Iwas also informed that not much consideration would be given me for managerial positions. Finally through products lose, and marketing change, and the fact that much of our feed stock was being cut off, most of the folks were either re-assigned retired or laid off, and only the ones able to learn the computer process and learn the nuances of the products involved were trained and kept. All the sudden the "trouble maker" was asked to help train some folks who were at one time his bosses.When they were able to pass the Q test they would become techs, I needed to break in 3 guys before I could accept my early buyout, I did, and left. The last thing I did was tell the company that the last 3 union employees wanted the dues to quit being with drawn. For two years with only one guy working a shift, we still struck together, even though in effect we were the indians running the reservation. A year later I declined an invitation to assist in another plant start up in a different state.

i personally wouldn't