Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Personal Property Boat Taxes in KY

I relocated back home to KY after "too many" years of being away, and am wondering what the personal property tax rate is here in KY. In Ohio, there was no such thing as personal property tax, and I'm just trying to ballpark the amount. I live in Nelson County, if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Boat tax is based off of what they say the value of your boat is. Worth a lot u pay more, worth a little you pay less. You get the idea I'm sure. Not sure if there is some formula that is used or what though. personally mine isn't terrible but I have heard some argue it ***** here in Ky. Ky is all I have ever known so couldn't compare. I guess going from noting to paying something is gonna **** in your case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nvrgiveup View Post
    I relocated back home to KY after "too many" years of being away, and am wondering what the personal property tax rate is here in KY. In Ohio, there was no such thing as personal property tax, and I'm just trying to ballpark the amount. I live in Nelson County, if that makes a difference. Thanks!
    When it comes to collecting taxes, no state is better at it than our beloved state of Ky. You are in for a treat my friend, this is only a guess at how they will welcome you back home, they might tax you for leaving this lovely state, and tax you for every year you have been gone, tax you for returning, tax you if your dad was a man, tax you if your brothers are males, tax you if your mom in a woman, and a small amount of taxes I’d your sisters are all girls, tax you if you own or have ever owned a dog or cat, tax you for owning a home, car, boat, tax you if you have neighbors that have children that go to school, tax you if you have children that go to school, tax you if you talk or text on a phone, tax you if you watch tv, if you and your friend go fishing, they will tax you fou your share of the gas. They tax you for having a job and working, and after all your life and retire, they tax your retirement, they tax your food, water and air you breath, well scratch that last one, I don’t think they have figured out how to cut your air off if you fail to pay the tax on it, so put that one on hold. It could be a near future tax, you get the idea, the ky tax list goes on and on, the amount of taxes may shock you at first, but the taxes will grow on you, after you see all the taxes you will have to pay, then pull your boat tax slip out, and look at it only and you will think it is such a small amount it will seam almost free.
    Likes kstonich, Nvrgiveup liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know if the county makes any difference as far as the rate goes, but it might ... based on the rate % of the things they collect for : State, County, County School, Health, Ext Service, Transit Authority.

If you had to have a license plate on your trailer in Ohio, you don't here in KY. But, when transferring the registration, have the County Clerk combine the trailer & boat/motor into one registration. Otherwise you'll get your tax/renewal notices separately .... and if you mail them in, you'll pay the $2.00 fee twice unless you wait for both of them and mail them in together.

Not sure what they base the value of your boat/motor/trailer on ... but it's likely they use the NADA Guide.

I don't know if the rates are the same for boat/motor as they are for trailers, but my trailer registration notice has these rates listed:

State - 0.45
    County - 0.088
    School - 0.592
    Health - 0.028
    Ext Service - 0.0032
    Transit - 0.06

So collectively it's about a 1.22% tax rate.

I haven't received my boat reg/tax notice, yet, so I can't tell if it's any different as far as the rates go. It probably isn't, but I don't know for sure.

They've always put a tax value on my boats & vehicles that was lower than what I felt they were worth (or paid for them) .... so they must be using a low ball retail figure. I say that because NADA puts a $225-$255 value on my trailer, but the tax notice puts the value at $100 (and has for the last couple of years).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    When it comes to collecting taxes, no state is better at it than our beloved state of Ky. You are in for a treat my friend, this is only a guess at how they will welcome you back home, they might tax you for leaving this lovely state, and tax you for every year you have been gone, tax you for returning, tax you if your dad was a man, tax you if your brothers are males, tax you if your mom in a woman, and a small amount of taxes I’d your sisters are all girls, tax you if you own or have ever owned a dog or cat, tax you for owning a home, car, boat, tax you if you have neighbors that have children that go to school, tax you if you have children that go to school, tax you if you talk or text on a phone, tax you if you watch tv, if you and your friend go fishing, they will tax you fou your share of the gas. They tax you for having a job and working, and after all your life and retire, they tax your retirement, they tax your food, water and air you breath, well scratch that last one, I don’t think they have figured out how to cut your air off if you fail to pay the tax on it, so put that one on hold. It could be a near future tax, you get the idea, the ky tax list goes on and on, the amount of taxes may shock you at first, but the taxes will grow on you, after you see all the taxes you will have to pay, then pull your boat tax slip out, and look at it only and you will think it is such a small amount it will seam almost free.
    So tell me how you really feel about taxes .

I used to register my Canoe as out of state in Minnesota, instead of Indiana for nearly the same reason. I could not see 20 a year for my **** canoe, when I could pay 18 for 3 years in Minnesota.........and they are a "blue" state .

Post Thanks / Like
    Keep in mind, on top of the property tax you will pay, you will also have to renew your boat registraion/license....which can not be renewed until you have paid the property taxes on said boat.
    Also always take your tax dues/ registraion from the previous year with you to the clerks office. For some reason kentucky has a habit of trying to get you to beleive you didnt pay last years fees and in order to renew this year you will ha e to catch everything up. When you present last years dues paid in full they just sigh and complete this years process.
    Also if you disagree with the tax assessment you can visit your county pva and try to negotiate a fair taxable value based on the current condition of the property, it doesnt always work but its worth a shot if youre not satisfied with the current tax bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I must say, having lived in Indiana most of my life, the taxes here in KY are utterly ridiculous. As a self employed paint contractor, I have to pay taxes on all of my painting tools. These are things such as brushes, rollers, ladders, power washers and paint sprayer!!

We NEVER paid taxes on these work tools in Indiana other than the sales taxes upon purchase. Kentucky's tax system is really bad, I thought it was a cruel joke when first told I had to pay taxes on extension ladders that are 19 years old!!!
    Likes waterdog101, Nvrgiveup liked this post