Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Line question for Baitcast rod

I just bought my first baitcast rod and reel and I have a question. What is the best line to put on it for all around
    presentations? I plan to fish both topwater as well as soft plastics in Texas Rig, drop shot, and weightless as well as some crank baits. I've tried to do research but all I found were guys who have numerous baitcasts with numerous line types on them. Needless to say I'm not rich and can't afford multiple rods with multiple types of line. I've got some 15 pound test mono but not sure if that is best for all around.

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not a tournament guy or a professional, just an average guy who likes to get out and catch fish on a budget. In saying that, I will give you my preference for a decent all around fishable line that I use on most of my set ups. Fishing line is expensive period!! If you plan to use the variety you described I would recommend something slightly smaller than 15 pound and a little stiffer line than mono. I like P-lines Copoly line in 12 pound as a good overall line and you can purchase it a lot of times on ths slightly larger spools for a decent price. Now in saying that, you cant go wrong with flouro either. Best thing to do is go to a local shop, have them spool up ur reel. Usually 5 bucks or so and try a couple different lines til u find one that suits both ur style and budget!!
    Likes roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mash Davis View Post
    I just bought my first baitcast rod and reel and I have a question. What is the best line to put on it for all around
    presentations? I plan to fish both topwater as well as soft plastics in Texas Rig, drop shot, and weightless as well as some crank baits. I've tried to do research but all I found were guys who have numerous baitcasts with numerous line types on them. Needless to say I'm not rich and can't afford multiple rods with multiple types of line. I've got some 15 pound test mono but not sure if that is best for all around.

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.
    For me, the best all-purpose line is 12-pound test; heavy enough if you fish around cover and light enough not to mess too much with the action of lighter baits or crankbaits. That 15-pound test you're using might be inhibiting their action somewhat.

If you fish clear water a lot, go with flourocarbon. If not, monofilament.

You can use more expensive, better line (or maybe go flouro over mono) if you fill about 1/4 to 1/2 of your spool with cheaper line first (called "backing" or "filler" line). Tie the backing to your good line with a uni-knot.

Make sure to fill your spool almost completely, about 1/8" from the absolute top. You won't get good casting distance if you don't.
    Likes Bassky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just concerned that he's trying to multi-task with a rod that's likely designed for less than multiple fishing techniques. You're not going to cast a crank as far with a heavy action rod, and you're going to (or likely to) put a lot of stress on a med action rod if you're "worm fishing". That's the primary reason most Bass anglers have 8-10 rods laid out on the deck ... LOL !!

Without knowing the specifics of the rod/reel ... it would be hard to determine what pound test line would cover the most techniques he's looking to use. I say that, because I'm not sure he's going to be doing ALL of the techniques he listed ... with any one specific rod/reel/line. He might "get by" doing so, but he's going to be at a little bit of a disadvantage in some of those techniques.

And "Mash" ... if you're not rich enough to afford a few $500 outfits, you're not alone !! Find a bait shop that has a consignment rack, or go to one of the local swap meets. You can usually find some pretty decent deals at either of those places. I've bought used reels from Backwaters, here in Lexington, and they're still functioning just fine. I saw a box of baitcast reels at the Richmond, Ky Swap Meet ... going for $18/ea ... and some of them were smoother reeling than some I own.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a rod set up that is kinda unique. It is a KastKing Perigee two piece rod that has a med and a med heavy piece. I switch out the rod ends as I need it. I'll probably be using alot of soft plastics mostly with worms, craws, and maybe some jigs with swimbaits on them. I have some crankbaits too, but I have a small boat so I won't really need to cast to kingdom come.
    Last edited by Mash Davis; 03-08-2018 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a rod set up that is kinda unique. It is a KastKing Perigee two piece rod that has a med and a med heavy piece. I switch out the rod ends as I need it. I'll probably be using alot of soft plastics mostly with worms, craws, and maybe some jigs with swimbaits on them. I have some crankbaits too, but I have a small boat so I won't really need to cast to kingdom come.
    You'll probably do OK with line in the 10-15 pound test range. Set your drag to slip just before the rod loads up to 8/10's max bend, especially when using plastics. Luck2ya !!
    Likes jcb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you’re gonna fish top water stick with mono or braid with a mono leader. Flour sinks and will take your top water bait down with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about Copolymer line? I've read a few things about that. Just wondering if anyone has that and how they like it.

Also, I need to make an amendment, it is not 15 pound line that I put in my original post, but 14. Doubt that makes much difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about Copolymer line? I've read a few things about that. Just wondering if anyone has that and how they like it.

Also, I need to make an amendment, it is not 15 pound line that I put in my original post, but 14. Doubt that makes much difference.
    No, 14# or 15# is not going to make all that much difference. IMHO (breaking strength in most monos is higher than listed on the pkg.)

As to copoly line ...Over the last 40 some years I used half a dozen different brands & various versions of each of those brands (mono) and then I switched to Vicious Panfish Copolymer (a few years ago) .... and I still use it. (6# test for Crappie)
    When I fish for Bass, I still have some BPS Excel (USA made) that I've had around for over 30yrs ... and it still works just fine. If/when it's gone, or degrades to the point of uselessness, then I'll probably have to consider going to another brand. I don't fish for Bass but maybe once or twice a year, usually at night in Summer, and Hybrid Stripers are always a possible Plan B, so I do need for the line to be of quality. I'd likely give Vicious a try, first.

Post Thanks / Like

The 12 pound P-Line I recommended is the co-poly line. I use it almost exclusively. I do have a braid set up for heavy flipping and flouro on my spinning rods though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here is a question and forgive me for sounding like a noob, because when it comes to lures and stuff I am. I have a spinning reel with 14 pound test mono on it. Would that be best for topwater presentations and crankbaits that don't dive deep? I could put #12 flouro on my baitcast for jigs, swimbaits, jigs both alone and with spinners,and texas rigged and drop shot worms. Just trying to figure things out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, here is a question and forgive me for sounding like a noob, because when it comes to lures and stuff I am. I have a spinning reel with 14 pound test mono on it. Would that be best for topwater presentations and crankbaits that don't dive deep? I could put #12 flouro on my baitcast for jigs, swimbaits, jigs both alone and with spinners,and texas rigged and drop shot worms. Just trying to figure things out.
    I dunno about mono line that heavy on a spinning reel. Maybe 10# test mono or copoly ?? (but that may depend on the size of the reel and reel spool) And I think I'd use the spinning outfit more for the Drop Shot and leave the topwater & other presentations to the baitcast outfit. But, that's just me.