Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How time changes things...

As I think back, all my life i’ve Lived for the weekends, wait all week for the weekend to get here, and end up fishing and dealing with what ever weather the weekend held, plus had to deal with all the bass tournaments that seamed to be held on most any lake I went to, and i’ve Seen so many boats on some lakes on Saturday nights that it was hard to find a main lake point, that a boat wasn’t sitting on, now that i’ve Retired, I just look at the weekend as a time to attend Church or go someplace with my Wife, all my fishing now, is done weekdays, pick the best weather days, and most any lake, has only a very few boats, and I think most are old retired folks like me, just out enjoying fishing, and not running all over the lake at break neck speed, drop down and stay long enough for their waves to start to settle and jump up and off to the next point. I really like fishing weekdays with those that are fishing for pleasure, than those that fish the weekends for money, a world of difference, never thought I would prefer weekdays over weekends, but time sure does change things..
    Likes Moveon, DJD, Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    As I think back, all my life i’ve Lived for the weekends, wait all week for the weekend to get here, and end up fishing and dealing with what ever weather the weekend held, plus had to deal with all the bass tournaments that seamed to be held on most any lake I went to, and i’ve Seen so many boats on some lakes on Saturday nights that it was hard to find a main lake point, that a boat wasn’t sitting on, now that i’ve Retired, I just look at the weekend as a time to attend Church or go someplace with my Wife, all my fishing now, is done weekdays, pick the best weather days, and most any lake, has only a very few boats, and I think most are old retired folks like me, just out enjoying fishing, and not running all over the lake at break neck speed, drop down and stay long enough for their waves to start to settle and jump up and off to the next point. I really like fishing weekdays with those that are fishing for pleasure, than those that fish the weekends for money, a world of difference, never thought I would prefer weekdays over weekends, but time sure does change things..
    I"m still working, so I still hit the lakes mostly on the weekends. When I hit Ky and Barkley, I try to leave thurs, fri, sat, sun. Usually, late thurs and fri are the best, then the navies are in full force on sat and sun.

If you play the game right, you can generally know where the hot spots on the lakes are located, and STAY away . For instance, I know they catch a ton of fish this time of year south. Well, I'm not going to Paris, or New Johnsonville. Yea, I will miss out on some fish, but I generally do quite well where I fish.

In a lot of cases, I outfish most of the field in those 200-300 boat tourneys.......

One day, when I'm retired, I hope I'm still interested in fishing. I should be, but to be honest, my interest is slowing down, as I really want to start spending promised time with my wonderful wife of 30 years.

For the first time, we went on a cruise, and I liked it so much I went on 2 more. Heck, we have another scheduled for Next March, and then we plan on a 14 day Alaskan Cruise and I'm saving for a 18 day Medeterrean Cruise. I can't be fishing 130 days a year, buying a new boat, and going to canada 2 times a year if I want to do all that other cool stuff .

Well I could if I wanted to melt some plastic, but I don't.......

Man, Not enough time or money to do it all , but I will try.
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    I"m still working, so I still hit the lakes mostly on the weekends. When I hit Ky and Barkley, I try to leave thurs, fri, sat, sun. Usually, late thurs and fri are the best, then the navies are in full force on sat and sun.

If you play the game right, you can generally know where the hot spots on the lakes are located, and STAY away . For instance, I know they catch a ton of fish this time of year south. Well, I'm not going to Paris, or New Johnsonville. Yea, I will miss out on some fish, but I generally do quite well where I fish.

In a lot of cases, I outfish most of the field in those 200-300 boat tourneys.......

One day, when I'm retired, I hope I'm still interested in fishing. I should be, but to be honest, my interest is slowing down, as I really want to start spending promised time with my wonderful wife of 30 years.

For the first time, we went on a cruise, and I liked it so much I went on 2 more. Heck, we have another scheduled for Next March, and then we plan on a 14 day Alaskan Cruise and I'm saving for a 18 day Medeterrean Cruise. I can't be fishing 130 days a year, buying a new boat, and going to canada 2 times a year if I want to do all that other cool stuff .

Well I could if I wanted to melt some plastic, but I don't.......

Man, Not enough time or money to do it all , but I will try.
    . People are different, but my guess is you will never stop fishing, unless your health makes you stop, take your wife fishing with you, if she don’t like bass fishing, take her crappie or bluegill fishing, I have a grandson that is just getting started fishing, so the bass will be safe from me when he is with me and my wife, we will be fishing for panfish. I like the cruises also, but will never take another one in July, hurricane on a boat is a bad experience. My wife and I have a good road trip out west planned for this summer, I like the fact that you are thinking of doing things with your wife, a lot of guys take their wife for granite, the Bible says a good virtual woman is a crown on a mans head, so take her fishing, or let the boat sit in the garage and take her shopping or out to dinner, movie, a walk in the park, lots of things to do, just do it together, either one of you could be taken from the other, called on to the other side of life at any time, so above everything else, take your family to church, so you all can live forever together, on the other side of that great gulf, that separates those that pleases Jesus and those that don’t.
    Likes Moveon, sweetwater liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

How I miss it

Life is not worth living for me, it's just a matter of passing air now. Iwas given two experation dates, and I'm still here, just existing.My son had all the good intentions in the world when he asked me to move to GA. so he could watch over me.I was a care giver to two wives, a mother, and a fiance.I had my first boat when I was 19 yrs old, and the last 4 yrs have been nothing but wishin I was fishin.When I lived in Ky i fished at least 4 days a week, and have had licenses for at least 15 states, and canada, where I'm at now there is very limited handicapped areas to fish. My son works 6 days a week, and long hours, so I don't make a big deal of it, I think my kid was 9 years when he caught his first trophy fish, a 7 lb rainbow, and I netted his biggesr bass 8/14 oz. mine that day wa just over 7 lbs..I've came close to almost catching every fresh water sport fish except a grayling and a dolly varden trout.

Post Thanks / Like

Shusssssh. Everyone will want to retire now :)

Your telling everyone our secrete. Yea life is so much better after retirement. Take Patoka Lake. I fished it on weekends like every one else. Boat on every point and three boats in every cove the first time I fished Patoka right after it first opened around 1978. Move forward about 40 years and I was able to fish Patoka during the week. I went camping and fished it in April 2001. It was like night and day. Harly any other boats out there.

I fished Kentucky Lake from the late 1950's to around 1985 with my father about a week at a time twice a year every years. Fishing KY lake during the week was pleasant and a great time. If we saw more than three other boats it was getting crowded.

Went to Patoka the first time and it was swamped with other boats and people on the week ends. When we fished KYH lake it was only for one weekend and then the rest of the week it was calm.

Good point you brough up. Enjoy your retirement.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You still have those memories to hang onto.

Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    Life is not worth living for me, it's just a matter of passing air now. Iwas given two experation dates, and I'm still here, just existing.My son had all the good intentions in the world when he asked me to move to GA. so he could watch over me.I was a care giver to two wives, a mother, and a fiance.I had my first boat when I was 19 yrs old, and the last 4 yrs have been nothing but wishin I was fishin.When I lived in Ky i fished at least 4 days a week, and have had licenses for at least 15 states, and canada, where I'm at now there is very limited handicapped areas to fish. My son works 6 days a week, and long hours, so I don't make a big deal of it, I think my kid was 9 years when he caught his first trophy fish, a 7 lb rainbow, and I netted his biggesr bass 8/14 oz. mine that day wa just over 7 lbs..I've came close to almost catching every fresh water sport fish except a grayling and a dolly varden trout.
    hand on to the good memories. I can write a book on my health problems these days. Heart Disease and cancer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    from reading your post over the past several years, I know you've been a hard working man, and you've lived a good life and been blessed with good children, I to had a job that I couldn't miss work at, when my dad was sick, your son may not be able to sit with you all the time, but even when he is at work, I think he is with you in his heart, you are sick my friend, but you are still here for a reason, and when God is finished with you, he will call you home to the other side of life, where your ready or not, so while your mind is good and your still kicking, make sure you talk to Jesus all through the day, while you still can, because when we use our last breath, thats the end of life as we know it, no chance to fix anything that we should have fixed before we used our last breath, like the rich man and the beggar when they both were called home, each opened their eyes and found they were alive on the other side of life, but a great gulf separated them, had they both talked to Jesus through Prayer, both would have been on the same side of the great gulf, the Bible says life is like a shadow crossing the land, here then gone, my shadow is so close to yours they are almost touching, separated by only a few days, I've never meet you but I look forward to meeting you on the other side of life, on the same side of the great gulf the beggar is on. so fish in your mind my friend and enjoy the time with your family the good Lord has bless you with.
    Likes GeoFisher, Moveon, sweetwater liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A long time ago

My wife had a major stroke while the kids? were in college, after my daughter graduated she asked me if I wanted to stay at home. NO, you did everything you could for your mother, keep on with your life, she wouldn't want to burden you, and i promised till death us do part, she was my responsibility,there were times when the ultimate crime crossed my mind, but god gave me the strenght. to make a few good days out of a terrible situation. I'm not worried about hell that much, I think I've been through some of it, and I do believe the words THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN.
    Likes waterdog101, GeoFisher, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Since 1996 I have had what most consider an odd work schedule. For several years I worked three 12 hr days then I was off 3 days. This equates to working 50% of the time but best was being off 50% of the time. Mathematically since there is 7 days in a week and only 6 days in my work schedule I worked 3 weekends in a row and I was off 3 weekends in a row. For years I was spoiled having 50% of my days off in the middle of the week with what seems like no one around.

About 6 years or so ago I switch jobs and with that came a schedule change. At first I worked 10 hrs Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed with Thursday, Friday and Saturday being my days off. Having every Friday and Saturday off sounds nice but if you're a fisherman you soon learn Saturday is a madhouse and sometimes Friday can be that way. I have switched schedules and now I currently work 10 hrs every Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat with Sun, Mon and Tue being my days off. I like it much better. To me it seems as if Sunday is not as near crowded as Friday and come Mon and Tue you have the lake to yourself.

I realize my schedule is not for everyone,especially if you have young kids. Working weekends I spent several hours of vacation over the years covering functions with my daughter but now that she is grown I rarely have a reason to take off on the weekend. I can guarantee if I had a Monday thru Friday schedule I would stay frustrated with weekend boat traffic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    Since 1996 I have had what most consider an odd work schedule. For several years I worked three 12 hr days then I was off 3 days. This equates to working 50% of the time but best was being off 50% of the time. Mathematically since there is 7 days in a week and only 6 days in my work schedule I worked 3 weekends in a row and I was off 3 weekends in a row. For years I was spoiled having 50% of my days off in the middle of the week with what seems like no one around.

About 6 years or so ago I switch jobs and with that came a schedule change. At first I worked 10 hrs Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed with Thursday, Friday and Saturday being my days off. Having every Friday and Saturday off sounds nice but if you're a fisherman you soon learn Saturday is a madhouse and sometimes Friday can be that way. I have switched schedules and now I currently work 10 hrs every Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat with Sun, Mon and Tue being my days off. I like it much better. To me it seems as if Sunday is not as near crowded as Friday and come Mon and Tue you have the lake to yourself.

I realize my schedule is not for everyone,especially if you have young kids. Working weekends I spent several hours of vacation over the years covering functions with my daughter but now that she is grown I rarely have a reason to take off on the weekend. I can guarantee if I had a Monday thru Friday schedule I would stay frustrated with weekend boat traffic.
    My problem is that I also take other folks with me when I fish, and we have to coordinate schedules.

When I retire, I might not fish as much, but I might.......who knows. Heck I was talking to my wife tonight about how I'd like to start fishing less, and use that extra time and money to do some other vacations.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can relate in my own way. There was a time that I was eat up with Bass fishing and tournaments. I fished hard and slept very little and won my fair share of money. I realized that I was losing my passion for fishing because of the competition so I started backing off of tournaments and I love to fish more now than before. It's different now because I enjoy the company of my fishing partners more, nature, slowing down and enjoying the events of the trip and I really enjoy taking my kids fishing. It means more to me to watch my girls catch fish than if I do.

Age and life has slowed me down some but I have my health so I am thankful for the wonderful things in life that I can enjoy. Fishing, Golf, Shooting Sports, Hiking, Swimming, Walking, Motorcycle riding and vacations to the beach are some of the things I enjoy with friends and family. I hope I can enjoy these things when I retire.
    Likes Moveon, GeoFisher, waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

fishing tournaments

did that also, it came lose to ending my marriage, So I went back on shift work, had more time with the wife and really started to take my son with me.Tourny fishing was more work than enjoyment. Besides I liked to use spinning tackle, [had 7 bit casting outfits]And believe me a 10 lb salmon fights as well as any fish that swims, and I must have caught 100s of them