Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fly fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Fly fishing

How can i get started? Do i need a flyfishing guide or to start by myself?
    What rod & reel & line is good for a beginner to learn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Where are you located? Your best bet would be to find a local fly shop, stop in tell them what you goals are, what type of fish, what kind of water etc. They will get you started in the right direction. You will probably end up with a decent rod and real combo for a decent price
    There is a lot to learn, but you can catch fish along the way.

Post Thanks / Like

Fly fishing educational sites

Quote Originally Posted by IKfish View Post
    Here is a link to a decent website for beginners ->
    http://www.backcountrychronicles.com...leader-basics/

ALSO, Orvis.com has some great educational videos on fly fishing, try there.

Not sure where you are located, but many of the Bass Pro Shops and Cabela's (now owned by BPS) offer flying fishing educational sessions sponsored by a local fishing club. Contact and inquire with the one nearest you.

Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

youtube

have you tried watching youtube videos? that where I learned about fly fishing. Try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IKfish View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    I whole heartly disagree with the Tim_T's post. Buy a cheap 7wt or 8wt combo under $100 and try to cast into hats on your lawn. Watch youtube videos and go to orvis.com. The go fly fishing for 6 months and cut your teeth. After that go to a fly shop and get ripped off for the right gear. Fly line alone can cost $75.

Use mono or floro you would for a leader to start. I still use it and have no complaints ever from the guys I take out who use my pole.

Fish wolly buggers

Go for smallies and largemouths to start as they are very will to take a fly.

Fly fishing is a test in anger management but it does feel great when you lay out a 30 yard rope with a dry to a big A$$ head you watched eating bugs and he eats!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this is kinda late, but I really hope this would help other beginner.
    There are several tips I want to contribute:
    Gear - My advice on this is do not go with the cheapest options but I would strongly advise against spending a ton on your beginner gear. Buy a Rod/Reel/Gear package from Cabelas or Scientific Anglers or something to get into the sport. If you find out you love it, this can be your backup rig or a rig available for a friend that you try to get into fly fishing. It will get use forever.

Flies - For flies, check out your local fly shop (probably asking around). The flies are much higher quality. I go through flies pretty quickly so I buy a ton of little nymphs that I use a lot. For those, I get them in bulk from theflystop or similar stores.
    When you first start out, you have no idea what flies to use, what they are called, or how to pick them out. Here are my tips on the essentials for starting out.

Fishing on a River
    - I had no idea how to do this when I started. With lakes, I knew where fish would be located. I had no idea for a river. I suggest starting on smaller rivers, since it is a bit easier to wrap your mind around. Fish like structure on rivers, just like they do on a lake. They want to be able to be where food will pass them but where it does not require a lot of effort to swim. Think behind rocks or where slower water meets up with faster water. These are the areas you want to send your fly. Fish also like structure like undercut banks. Study the river and look for the seams where water moving at different speeds meet, where rocks underwater might break the current, and where you can see "pools," or deeper and stiller water. Those are the easiest to spot when you first start fly fishing and almost always contain fish.

LEARN HOW TO TIE KNOTS - Tying knots takes up half your time when you start fly fishing. I basically only use two knots. I use a double surgeon's knot to tie my tippet to my leader. It is an extremely easy knot to tie. I then use the improved cinch knot to tie my fly to tippet/leader and to tie my droppers to the lead fly. I use these two so I can tie them faster and get efficient. They work well for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    I whole heartly disagree with the Tim_T's post. Buy a cheap 7wt or 8wt combo under $100 and try to cast into hats on your lawn. Watch youtube videos and go to orvis.com. The go fly fishing for 6 months and cut your teeth. After that go to a fly shop and get ripped off for the right gear. Fly line alone can cost $75.

Use mono or floro you would for a leader to start. I still use it and have no complaints ever from the guys I take out who use my pole.

Fish wolly buggers

Go for smallies and largemouths to start as they are very will to take a fly.

Fly fishing is a test in anger management but it does feel great when you lay out a 30 yard rope with a dry to a big A$$ head you watched eating bugs and he eats!
    If he followed this advice, he has probably quit fly fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting Started in Fly Fishing

I think that you need to break it down into some smaller parts. There are a few important parts to fly fishing.

1. Understanding rivers, insects, flow rates, where fish sit etc. Do you know anything about this?

2. Casting. This is where most people get unstuck. You can pick up a beginner fly rod like one of these: https://flyfisherpro.com/gear/rods/b...inner-fly-rod/ Most of them are around $200 or so. Try to avoid the cheapest ones as they tend to snap.

Then just practice feeling the rod loading and then practice timing. In my experience new fly fishers tend to cast too quickly and don't let the rod load properly. Practice with some cheap line and a short leader (in an open field) with a little indicator on the end (no flys) till you get the hang of it.

3. Go to a local fly shop and ask them where a good beginner spot is to fish nearby and what flys the recommend. Buy 2 of each as you'll lose a lot!

4. Go to the river and try your luck but have low expectations as you'll likely not land anything for the first few outings, but when you do you'll be hooked forever! (pun intended)