Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland Report from Thurs & Friday

Sorry I've not been able to post this before but I wanted to post a report from my first trip to Cumberland. First let me say thanks to a couple guys who dropped me some basic info to get me started.

Fished both days out of Beaver with completely different weather conditions. Thursday was sunny and pleasant with Friday showing a mix of clouds and sun with plenty of strong winds. Water temps made it to 58 in places on Thursday with the norm being around 56 but was 53-54 to start the day Friday and made it to 56 by the end of the day.

Two totally different bites for us both days. Thursday started with a solid crankbait and jerkbait bite on secondary points and lead in banks. I followed the shad and did find some bait toward the backs, but didnt get bit. When we stayed on the lead ins and points with the shale rock, the bite was solid. Around 3 that afternoon, the fish shifted and so did the bite as it was all about the NED rig. Caught around 30 Thursday with a solid 3lber the largest landed. I broke off a 5lber on a jerkbait that I saw not once, but twice. I watched her swim off after I broke off, then again when it came back to the surface to spit my jerkbait back out. Thank goodness. LOL!

Friday was completely different. It appeared they were sucking the bottom out of the lake and the surface was cluttered something awful. So was the bite. It was after lunch until I got my first bite but when they came on, it was on like donkey kong. The jerk bait bite get better as the clouds and winds got up that afternoon. However, the fish moved back toward the main lake points, as did the bait. Places I found bait the day before, simply was not there. I moved out deeper and found nothing. The more I went toward the main lake points, the more bait and fish I found. We finished the day with a smallmouth slaying in about 20 minutes of just getting crushed with solid browns. Dad took the big one that day with a 3lb smallie. We both had big largemouths come unbuttoned on jerk baits that were solid 4-5lb fish.

I only ended up on Cumberland because the bite on Dale Hollow was trash, but Im certainly glad I did. Fun lake that I had never fished before and for that matter, never fished a like like it either. Im a shallow water guy and worried about nose bleeds and passing out sitting 10 feet of the bank in 30' of water. LOL! Excited to give it another run in the future.

Enjoy the photos!

Skeeter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DZ5yJ2NW4AAD0EZ.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	16563   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaJGz5GXUAAXXtI.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	16564   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaJGyrWX4AY7flT.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	16565   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaJGxBBWsAI-PuE.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	16566  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaJGvJtWAAA-elF.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	16567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaEJeyFW4AE-xHC.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	96.7 KB 
ID:	16568   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaEJZYaXUAE6r_A.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	16569   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DaEJXtMWAAAbu0K.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	16570  

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice ones! I've never been to Cumberland either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the informative report. Glad you caught them

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks!

Thanks for your help. You got us in the area and was able to start searching from there. If I can ever help you out, let me know. I greatly appreciate the help.

Skeeter

Post Thanks / Like

Good report

Good job doing what it takes

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice ones!! Gotta love the ned rig... I'm back down to c-land this weekend helping with a high school tourney on Saturday. Get to compete for water with the FLW boys... bring it on Thrift ; ) jk

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice fish! Love the brown ones!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very impressive fishing report!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great report! I too fished the points and in and around Guffey Creek on Friday out of the Hobie Kayak and was catching some great spots and smallies on the outer points, picked up a few largemouths further back in the pockets. All came on a megabass Vision OneTen +1. Then Saturday when that front came thru I really struggled to get bit in that area. I think it will continue to get better though in the coming days! I caught my personal best spotted bass there on Friday...19" and 4lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180406_190819.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	16573  
    Likes GeoFisher, Bardcard liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Great report! I too fished the points and in and around Guffey Creek on Friday out of the Hobie Kayak and was catching some great spots and smallies on the outer points, picked up a few largemouths further back in the pockets. All came on a megabass Vision OneTen +1. Then Saturday when that front came thru I really struggled to get bit in that area. I think it will continue to get better though in the coming days! I caught my personal best spotted bass there on Friday...19" and 4lbs.
    Is that a spot?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Is that a spot?
    Yes sir! Biggest spot I've ever caught. I've been on a 5lb quest for one for a long time and this one didn't quite measure up to that but man it was close! sooo much fun to catch one that size, fought like a train!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Yes sir! Biggest spot I've ever caught. I've been on a 5lb quest for one for a long time and this one didn't quite measure up to that but man it was close! sooo much fun to catch one that size, fought like a train!
    It looks like one of those mean mouth bass.