Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Safe to Finish Motor Break-In at Taylorsville???

I'm planning on hitting Taylorsville tomorrow afternoon (Possum Ridge) and finishing the break-in before/while trying to toss a few crappie in the livewell. I've never fished there before and am thinking the submerged trees near the Possum Ridge ramp will be a good starting point.
    The real question is whether or not the debris level will make running hard a bad idea. Also, if you'd like to PM me with crappie guidance, I promise not to tell anyone your secret! lol

Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob .... at 9ft over Summer Pool and falling hard, I'd be doubtful that many fish would be shallow ... but, I could be wrong.

Depending on wind direction + the fast falling water level, a lot of the debris may get left up on the bank ... which is a good thing. Last year's 5ft rise and wind direction left Settler's ramp covered in timber debris (the day I went) to the point where I turned around and drove to Possum Ridge to launch.

And you are right to be concerned about floating debris while running WOT in the current conditions of the lake. These 20+mph winds can hide a lot of obstacles floating on the surface, or just under it.

You might want to call Settler's Trace Marina & ask them what the current conditions of the lake are, or maybe the State Park Visitors Center (& ask if they know if the ramp is open enough to launch).

Personally, if all I really wanted to do was finish up my break-in routine .... I'd probably go to Lake Linville (down by Renfro Valley), but even then I'd call the boat dock - (606) 256-0636 - before making the 1hr drive from home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for that, crappiepappy. I'm DYING to get back out on the water but I don't suspect it's worth destroying a prop or a lower unit....YET! lol
    Willisburg is pretty close to the house. I am gonna the guy down there and see how it looks. I have a sneaky suspicion I'll end up staying home and cutting grass!
    Thanks again!

Rob