Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    12 inches on all species what a **** joke. A trained Chimp could catch five 12 inchers on Cumberland in April...these guys are hacks
    Likes stripernut1, GeoFisher, riverrat12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    12 inches on all species what a **** joke. A trained Chimp could catch five 12 inchers on Cumberland in April...these guys are hacks
    You ain't wrong. Dam near every angler caught a limit today. (sarcastic clapping)...
    Likes mhall, stripernut1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have personally discussed this with an employee of the KDFW. I was checked by a KDFW creel survey guy about a month ago on Green River Lake. When done with his survey I ask him about the reduced size limit for the FLW tournament and he was aware of it but did not have full details. In fact I kind of knew more than him because he was not aware it was more than the FLW tournament that had the reduced size limit until I told him about it and it also included events on Cave Run Lake.

I nicely told him I felt like KDFW was peeing on my shoes and trying to convince me it was raining. He actually took my phone number and called me back a few days later to discuss the issue along with many other various things. He was very nice but really could not give a definite answer as to why they are allowing this. The "Official" news release says it is being done so they can do a mortality study. Whoever the person was that gave the decision to announce that as the reason should be awarded public relations person of the decade. Really a mortality study on bass when the water temperature is mid 50's. They are at the peak of good health going into the spawn. If you want to truly know how much delayed mortality is then do the study when it is more prone to happen like May or June when the water temperature is 70* or more and the fish are stressed from the spawn. Based on KDFW logic I bet they study the mating habits of snakes in December.

The news release that says they are doing this for a delayed mortality study goes on to conveniently say the FLW tournament is a big economic money maker for the local economy...If you wear a tin foil hat or if you have common sense it does not matter because a dumb person could figure out why they reduced the size limit for select tournaments $$$$$. If it was not for money then why not do a delayed mortality study on the local bass club. Maybe it's because they don't buy motel rooms. If you're blind to what I am saying then you will never see the light.

Now I have had my rant but I want to be clear. I truly do not have a problem with them reducing the size limit "IF" it was for one large event and they actually done a delayed mortality study at the peak of when fish are stressed. What burns me is them telling me it is a study when the conditions are not strong to have the impact you are studying for. Then they go on and talk about economic impact the study will have. Economic impact should be totally irrelevant to a delayed mortality study. If your studying the loss of fish because of stress then why even be concerned if FLW or any other event is buying motel rooms, gas and eating at restaurants...thanks KDFW for peeing on my shoes but I am not convinced it is rain.

Here is the KDFW news release...If you believe this then I would like to sell you some prime swamp land in the Himalaya Mountains.

http://www.columbiamagazine.com/index.php?sid=96322

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    I have personally discussed this with an employee of the KDFW. I was checked by a KDFW creel survey guy about a month ago on Green River Lake. When done with his survey I ask him about the reduced size limit for the FLW tournament and he was aware of it but did not have full details. In fact I kind of knew more than him because he was not aware it was more than the FLW tournament that had the reduced size limit until I told him about it and it also included events on Cave Run Lake.

I nicely told him I felt like KDFW was peeing on my shoes and trying to convince me it was raining. He actually took my phone number and called me back a few days later to discuss the issue along with many other various things. He was very nice but really could not give a definite answer as to why they are allowing this. The "Official" news release says it is being done so they can do a mortality study. Whoever the person was that gave the decision to announce that as the reason should be awarded public relations person of the decade. Really a mortality study on bass when the water temperature is mid 50's. They are at the peak of good health going into the spawn. If you want to truly know how much delayed mortality is then do the study when it is more prone to happen like May or June when the water temperature is 70* or more and the fish are stressed from the spawn. Based on KDFW logic I bet they study the mating habits of snakes in December.

The news release that says they are doing this for a delayed mortality study goes on to conveniently say the FLW tournament is a big economic money maker for the local economy...If you wear a tin foil hat or if you have common sense it does not matter because a dumb person could figure out why they reduced the size limit for select tournaments $$$$$. If it was not for money then why not do a delayed mortality study on the local bass club. Maybe it's because they don't buy motel rooms. If you're blind to what I am saying then you will never see the light.

Now I have had my rant but I want to be clear. I truly do not have a problem with them reducing the size limit "IF" it was for one large event and they actually done a delayed mortality study at the peak of when fish are stressed. What burns me is them telling me it is a study when the conditions are not strong to have the impact you are studying for. Then they go on and talk about economic impact the study will have. Economic impact should be totally irrelevant to a delayed mortality study. If your studying the loss of fish because of stress then why even be concerned if FLW or any other event is buying motel rooms, gas and eating at restaurants...thanks KDFW for peeing on my shoes but I am not convinced it is rain.

Here is the KDFW news release...If you believe this then I would like to sell you some prime swamp land in the Himalaya Mountains.

http://www.columbiamagazine.com/index.php?sid=96322
    This post is purely SPOT ON and you have totally hit a home run.
    Likes stripernut1, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    If you want a firestorm, start talking about fishing tournament fishing during spawning season. Biologists say studies have proven it “doesn’t SEEM to harm the bass population.” But if anyone has a lick of common sense, you know if you take a female bass off her nest, or even before she spawns, it causes stress. What happens when you disturb a turkey nest, she leaves her nest and her eggs. A female bass will leave her nest 70”% of the time, IF she is release farther than 50 yards of her nest. Now if you take her down the lake a few miles after being in the well all day, jerk her out of the well and put her in a bag, jerk her back out and hold her up for all to see, maybe in the process breaking her jaw, and then dumping her out, I doubt she will spawn, if she survives. Anyone with any common sense at all knows this is true regardless of what kinds of studies are done. Do we really need to kill our big green and brown fish, just to feed one’s arrogance and ego? I don’t think so. Wait until the “Big Heads” come the Cumberland. Count your blessings everyone.

Now lets talk about studies. I have biology degree and when I was in college years ago, we did fish population studies. One study was done on a three acres private lake. This lake had been stocked for five years without any fishing allowed. After this time, fishing was allowed under moderate pressure. Within two years, the bass population dropped in size and numbers by 52%. The reasons the big bass were taken off the nest and taken home. Another study was done in an old rock quarry filled with 9 to 11 inch average size bluegill. Within two years, the average size and numbers dropped by 43% because the big females were taken off the nest and taken home.

In closing, why can’t you tournament guys SIMPLY catch, weight and release on point of catch, and MAYBE the big girl will find her bed again. How simple is that. It being done in some tournaments now.

Bonefish
    thank you for the insightful, educated post, i couldnt agree more
    Likes mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I fished the Mountain Division as a Co-Angler for a couple seasons a few years back. After fishing a few tournaments I was starting to see tournament fishing in a different light. You know, the parts they don't show on TV.
    The final tournament I took part in was an unseasonably hot day (low 90's) at the end of June. After weighing my fish I took them down the hill to the release tank where I saw numerous 4 to 6 lb green fish belly up or close to it. Those fish never had chance. Bounced around in a live well all day then waiting in plastic bag then dumped into laundry basket for weighing then back into the bag then to a kiddie pool. Just didn't seem worth it to me anymore. I have never fished another tournament and have no plans to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

R19

Thanks for your post, yours is a firsthand account of interaction with a kdfwr representative that details and exposes how simple they must really think we are. Each and every one of your arguments proves this "mortality study" is total fertilizer. like you i wondered why this time of year, you could keep a fish alive in a 5 gallon bucket all day long right now, so the end result data that tournaments have very little impact on a fishery due to mortality is so misleading it would be comical if it wasnt so dangerous. Also i wonder why would they do a mortality study on a class of fish that is ILLEGAL to retain in the first place, in other words there should NEVER be any mortality on 12 inch fish that are kept in a livewell on lake cumberland, they should never be in a livewell to begin with......so WOW, i smell fertilizer again.
    Just for common sense sake lets think about something else, why doesnt kdfwr just have these contestants fill out a survey questionere that details what they caught, size etc etc. it would seem to be a more complete harvest of data.

lets just go ahead and "out" the true intent of this size limit exemption, there was a lot of complaining and whining after last years cumberland event on how disappointing it was for the weigh in circus to see so few limits come to the scales.

big bags of big fish sell lures, rods, reels etc etc.

once again thank you for sharing your experience
    Likes fishincreek, Wormin, R19, mhall, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    During the conversation with the actual person whom I talked to from KDFW I could tell by the things he said that he did in fact agree with me 100%. However as a KDFW employee he was not going to come out and point blank say yes this was done to generate money for the local economy but you can just tell when someone agrees but they can't say so. Our conversation was very in depth about various different things. In fact we were on the phone for about 1 hour. He was very nice and answered all the questions I had as best as he could. We spoke indepth about alwives,LM,SM,Spots,white bass, spawning bass,Green River Lake,Lake Cumberland and Barren River Lake along with many things associated with fishing.

The prime example I gave him about fish mortality was the Trition owners tournament at KY Lake about 3 or so years ago. This would have been a perfect time to do a delayed mortality study. If my memory is correct it was early or mid June. Bass were pretty much done with the spawn and were at the peak of their highest stress (post spawn). I think the water temps was in the 70's and possibly rose to 80 because the weather was abnormally more warm than usual. Anyways there was several boats in the tournament. I don't recall the exact number but I think 200 would be a safe estimate. Several and when I say several I remember seeing pictures on facebook of like 100 or more dead bass floating at the ramp from which they had the weigh in. Most of the fish were 3-5 lb fish. There were a few smaller ones but the majority were decent size. I am almost positive people released them thinking when they swam off it would be okay but for a couple days after the tournament floaters started popping up everywhere. The instance I am talking about is not what you typically see because it was a "perfect storm" for bad things to happen. The water had jumped several degrees in a short period, the dissolved O2 level was low and the fish were stressed from post spawn, hence the perfect storm for dead bass. Now I understand KDFW can not look at the weather and make an instant snap decision to show up and say we want to study the bass for delayed mortality but surely they are smart enough to realize that water with temps below 60*is not prime conditions to have a large die off.

He agreed 100% with me that the Trition owners tournament I am talking about would have been an excellent time to conduct a delayed mortality study. If your going to do a study then do it when the condition reflects the most impact so you can see what the worst case scenario is. I still have his phone number and he also emailed me so I have his email address. I think I will give it a few weeks and contact him and see if he can release the information from the study that was done...and when I say study I am talking mortality not economic. LOL
    Likes stripernut1, PRO V LE, mhall liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Google

Surprised the size limit can be changed
    Any entrants care to confirm

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickhise View Post
    Oh its not fake news, R19 has described his discussions with kdfwr, my neighbors watched the weigh ins....the size limit was reduced. And like you we are all surprised that this happened.
    I mean if they wanted to give a break to somebody they couldve made the size limit exemption available to the high school tournaments. Kdfwr blatantly sold our fishery to the big show....sad

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rickhise View Post

Per: the news release there is a couple events on Lake Cumberland and Cave Run where this is being allowed. The only event it talks about in particular is the FLW event but the way I understand it there will be two events on Cumberland and two events on Cave Run that are allowed to have 12" bass in their possession. They must be released but they are allowed to bring them into the weigh in.

read this link...http://www.columbiamagazine.com/index.php?sid=96322

Post Thanks / Like
    It's fact Rick this is no BS. Thanks to all for the insightful and thought provoking posts on this thread. R19 you sir like many on here get it and care about our fisheries that is what I care about the most and couldn't give two hairy rats ass es about tournaments.
    Thanks guys