Search Fishin.com

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve82 View Post
    You ain't wrong. Dam near every angler caught a limit today. (sarcastic clapping)...
    And the talking heads in fishing will say........Cumberland was one of the "best" tourneys we've had, based on all participants having success...........

NO, they didn't have success, and on any other day, they would have been disqualified for short fish..........hahahahahahahahahhaha.

PISSES me of.
    Likes stripernut1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    And the talking heads in fishing will say........Cumberland was one of the "best" tourneys we've had, based on all participants having success...........

NO, they didn't have success, and on any other day, they would have been disqualified for short fish..........hahahahahahahahahhaha.

PISSES me of.
    AND....AND...to keep this in greater perspective Geo, if you and i were just out "fun" fishing during this time period, and we would have kept a 13 inch largemouth, WE would have received a ticket for posession of an ILLEGAL fish....
    that my friend is quite concerning!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
    So do you all think that our fisheries have been affected by tournaments (Bass mostly)? If so, has anyone studied tournament results and compared them from year to year? I have noticed in our USA Bassin Green River that the weights have generally went up from the early years of that division. The weights and average weights have increased or remained steady. Green is pounded weekly by tournaments and has been for years. Yet in 2015, a five fish limit weighed in August weighed over 27 pounds! That weight was the largest for five fish USA Bassin in the states where they are held (all over southeast including Alabama and TN) until late that season some team had 28 plus on KY Lake. Now we haven't had a 27 pound bag weighed since then, but I have had a few days with that just fishing in last couple years. My point is that fishing in general kills some fish (Even immediate catch and release or harvest for eating), the limits set are there for helping to sustain a viable, healthy population. And within those limits, people can choose to keep and eat Bass or they choose to release them. I, for one, will not select a moral compass as which to judge other fisherman as long as they go by the rules. I may be a rarity but I fish tourneys, fish for fun, and fish for food (including Bass, YES Bass!). FLW and the one other tourney (High School I believe) had the smaller limit, I don't agree with it and enjoyed last years event, maybe more so than this years. I didn't attend either but know some high school and college fisherman who did and enjoyed the interaction with those who took the time to talk to them. I believe Stripernut could have won that tourney anyhow! Jeff catches them better than anyone I know on that lake and knows what he is talking about. I don't think that KDFW will start doing the lower size limits on a regular basis or maybe not ever again, just my opinion.
    In reference to the results of the USA Bassin weights I spoke directly to the KDFW biologist about the health of bass in GRL. There is a direct effect to the reason why the bass populations is more healthy than it has ever been and to my surprise it is also the same reason white bass are struggling...Alwives...It seems that several years ago someone introduced alwives to Green River Lake. They are not native to the lake so it is speculated that someone who was live bait fishing introduced them. This is the exact reason why it is illegal to catch live bait from one body of water and use them in another body of water. This is also why stores who sell live bait can only buy bait from vendors who are registered and certified to sell only specific types of minnows.

Alwives roam in open deep water. They have more protein than the shad that are already present in the lake. This is the reason why 15 years ago you rarely heard of multiple fish in a tournament over 6 pounds and 20 lb bags were only caught in a brief window in the spring. Now its not that rare to have multiple big bags and multiple big fish. It's not easy but it's not as rare as it was several years ago. Now as for the white bass their habits are totally different and the alwives effect them in a negative way. White bass make a run in the spring to find current to lay their eggs. They do not make a nest in calm water and have a male guard it like LM,SM or Spots. They lay in current and the male will fertilize the eggs as they turn over in current. Once the white bass spawn all the fingerlings migrate back to the main lake and here is where the alwives cause them problems. It is a two fold problem...large alwives will feed on fingerling white bass because they are occupying the same space in the water column. Fingerling alwives feed on the same plankton that fingerling white bass white bass feed on. This is why the white bass population on green has been so poor for the last several years. The white bass population actually got so low that KDFW stocked them 3 years in a row not long ago. It was within the last 5-6 years if my memory is correct.

Now that the biologist explained it to me and I reflect back I can see exactly what he was talking about. I remember in the 80's,90's and early 2000's having a huge white bass run. Then around 15 or so years ago it started to diminish and within the last 7-8 years it has really been slow. Also looking back I remember bass fishing in the late 90's and early 2000's and remember when just catching a limit would get you a check. I remember fishing the Green River Bass club early 2000's. The AOY was always won by someone who did not zero a tournament at green. Teams would have fish at Barren,Cumberland and Nolin but it was the team who did not blank at their home lake of green who won AOY. I don't recall the exact year but I am thinking 2002 ish I specifically remember Rodger and Dwight (the tournament directors at the time) saying this was the first year there were multiple anglers who weighed in fish every tournament. Now you had better have a limit and have 2-3 good fish and the others need to be solid fish on Green. The days of cashing a check with a small limit are just not there anymore. Anyways it was a few years after that green started to really improve with the bass catch and really started to decline with the white bass catch. This was all due to the introduction of alwives. If you're hesitant to believe this theory then name me a lake that has alwives and it also has a healthy population of white bass. They may have white bass but not large numbers. The KDFW biologists I spoke to was really a nice person and opened my eyes to how one thing can totally have different effects on two similar things. If your interested in learning about your local water I highly recommend talking to you local fishery biologist. He told me it's not often that he gets to interact directly with the fisherman so the conversation was welcomed buy him.

All lakes go in cycles for one reason or another. I remember when people would drive right by Green and go to Barren. Now Green puts out better numbers than Barren and you have a few people who have migrated over to fishing Green. Look at Cumberland for an example. The draw down for several years allowed the brush to grow on the bank and now we are seeing a better and more healthy population of bass. Mother nature and humans have a way of impacting things. We have to rely on the KDFW to regulate things to keep it in check. What happened at Cumberland was they sold out the fishery for tourism and mask it by saying it was for a mortality study. You will have a had time convincing me otherwise.
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    In reference to the results of the USA Bassin weights I spoke directly to the KDFW biologist about the health of bass in GRL. There is a direct effect to the reason why the bass populations is more healthy than it has ever been and to my surprise it is also the same reason white bass are struggling...Alwives...It seems that several years ago someone introduced alwives to Green River Lake. They are not native to the lake so it is speculated that someone who was live bait fishing introduced them. This is the exact reason why it is illegal to catch live bait from one body of water and use them in another body of water. This is also why stores who sell live bait can only buy bait from vendors who are registered and certified to sell only specific types of minnows.

Alwives roam in open deep water. They have more protein than the shad that are already present in the lake. This is the reason why 15 years ago you rarely heard of multiple fish in a tournament over 6 pounds and 20 lb bags were only caught in a brief window in the spring. Now its not that rare to have multiple big bags and multiple big fish. It's not easy but it's not as rare as it was several years ago. Now as for the white bass their habits are totally different and the alwives effect them in a negative way. White bass make a run in the spring to find current to lay their eggs. They do not make a nest in calm water and have a male guard it like LM,SM or Spots. They lay in current and the male will fertilize the eggs as they turn over in current. Once the white bass spawn all the fingerlings migrate back to the main lake and here is where the alwives cause them problems. It is a two fold problem...large alwives will feed on fingerling white bass because they are occupying the same space in the water column. Fingerling alwives feed on the same plankton that fingerling white bass white bass feed on. This is why the white bass population on green has been so poor for the last several years. The white bass population actually got so low that KDFW stocked them 3 years in a row not long ago. It was within the last 5-6 years if my memory is correct.

Now that the biologist explained it to me and I reflect back I can see exactly what he was talking about. I remember in the 80's,90's and early 2000's having a huge white bass run. Then around 15 or so years ago it started to diminish and within the last 7-8 years it has really been slow. Also looking back I remember bass fishing in the late 90's and early 2000's and remember when just catching a limit would get you a check. I remember fishing the Green River Bass club early 2000's. The AOY was always won by someone who did not zero a tournament at green. Teams would have fish at Barren,Cumberland and Nolin but it was the team who did not blank at their home lake of green who won AOY. I don't recall the exact year but I am thinking 2002 ish I specifically remember Rodger and Dwight (the tournament directors at the time) saying this was the first year there were multiple anglers who weighed in fish every tournament. Now you had better have a limit and have 2-3 good fish and the others need to be solid fish on Green. The days of cashing a check with a small limit are just not there anymore. Anyways it was a few years after that green started to really improve with the bass catch and really started to decline with the white bass catch. This was all due to the introduction of alwives. If you're hesitant to believe this theory then name me a lake that has alwives and it also has a healthy population of white bass. They may have white bass but not large numbers. The KDFW biologists I spoke to was really a nice person and opened my eyes to how one thing can totally have different effects on two similar things. If your interested in learning about your local water I highly recommend talking to you local fishery biologist. He told me it's not often that he gets to interact directly with the fisherman so the conversation was welcomed buy him.

All lakes go in cycles for one reason or another. I remember when people would drive right by Green and go to Barren. Now Green puts out better numbers than Barren and you have a few people who have migrated over to fishing Green. Look at Cumberland for an example. The draw down for several years allowed the brush to grow on the bank and now we are seeing a better and more healthy population of bass. Mother nature and humans have a way of impacting things. We have to rely on the KDFW to regulate things to keep it in check. What happened at Cumberland was they sold out the fishery for tourism and mask it by saying it was for a mortality study. You will have a had time convincing me otherwise.
    once again, a very educational post...thank you
    Likes Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Reduced size limit trial

Talked with folks this weekend who had a little different take on it. Personally I am distraught over pulling all those big green and brown fish off the nest! Please do not think I am defending that. BUT if anyone has a chance to keep fish alive during a weighin, I think FLW has best chance of keeping all fish alive. If the mortality rate is high, then never ever do it again. If they have a low mortality rate, then maybe we can allow the high school tourneys to have lower size limits. I hate that they use OUR resource for this trial. I love to eat fish, bluegill, crappie and an occasional striper because I don’t catch many stripes! Bass is a no no and catfish taste like mud and I will never ever eat one of those as well. The other problem is the FLW BROADCAST that tells all the world how EXACTLY to catch them. I left church yesterday and had to stop by Cabelas in Lexington. I wanted to see if a certain lure with some Special colors were being purchased! Let’s just say this, looked like the bread aisle in Walmart the night before a 6” light snow dusting! These guys are headed there today to now load their boats with easy to catch SPAWNING bass that will get ate! Don’t freaking believe me, go catch a dang fish at Bengi Kidman lake after the Ky afield show. Dang it now I am pissed off again!!😡

Post Thanks / Like
    I would like to see all Tourneys go to a MLF style system. With today's technology, which, there should be no reason to have live weigh ins. We understand that the crowd want to see fish, but do you have to bring in the fish. Record the catch,weight, etc, record it all, if one can afford to have two to four $4000 graph you can get a go pro. There is way too much pressure from all aspects put on our fishery's It needs to be corrected while it still can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Catfish are great to eat. If they taste like mud, you are fishing bad waters. The catfish down here at the Twin Lakes are excellent, especially the smaller ones.
    Likes GeoFisher, PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Dear redearhoosier

I have tried catfish from all over the state. Truly Ky lake, dale, green,cedar, Ky river, barren, cland, guist creek! My dad loved them and we camped and had to catch enough for a fish fry. Even ate a carp when the fishing was terrible which was better than the catfish. Just not my table fare so I am strictly catch and release for bass and cats!

Post Thanks / Like
    Catching a few spawning smallmouth out of a lake that size won't make an impact. If they were fishing a smaller lake it might affect the spawn but not a big lake. Florida has been allowing big national tournaments to get tournament exemptions for years and it hasn't been an issue. I don't think every little tournament should get an exemption but I think it's a great idea on big lakes with tournaments that handle fish care properly. I want to showcase our great lakes and that's what the exemption does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fntsyfbgod View Post
    Catching a few spawning smallmouth out of a lake that size won't make an impact. If they were fishing a smaller lake it might affect the spawn but not a big lake. Florida has been allowing big national tournaments to get tournament exemptions for years and it hasn't been an issue. I don't think every little tournament should get an exemption but I think it's a great idea on big lakes with tournaments that handle fish care properly. I want to showcase our great lakes and that's what the exemption does.
    To compare cumberland to a top lake in florida is ....
    And why do you want to "showcase" our lakes?? You think these lakes need MORE pressure???

Post Thanks / Like
    I want to showcase our great lakes and that's what the exemption does.
    WHY?

Post Thanks / Like
    Stating Cumberland can support a few spawners being taking off the nest based on size, is very short sighted.

Lake size,
    Lake fertility.
    Spawn success.

A **** ton of factors go into evaluating if it will hurt or not.

Dale Hollow suffered a gigantic fish kill a decade ago. Smallmouth fishing there was practically decimated. the 25 yr old slot limit was LEFT ALONE, and the 2 fish limit was left in place for smallmouth and guess what. The smallmouth population is exploding.

Personally, I believe a 2 fish limit and a 16 - 20 slot would be awesome for Cumberland...IMHO.

Now to the fact of ripping spawner off the nest and dragging them 50 miles....that is a severely IGNORANT ideology, and should stop. Period. I agree to what others have said about northern lakes. They have closed seasons on smallmouth, and I believe those closed seasons significantly help the smallmouth.

On a personal note:

I used to plan trips to the BWCA and Quetico around the spawn, but we stopped that years ago. There was no sport in pulling the male and then the female off the nest.......NO SPORT. Any ignorant fool with a fishing rod can do that. It takes a little more skill to find and locate the fish staging. Heck I think the fall is one of the best times, as the weights are significantly heavier as they feed up for their long winter.

Later,

Geo
    Likes stripernut1 liked this post