Search Fishin.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Young View Post
    I personally don't think cumberland needs anymore exposure. I had a pro at the cumberland event tell me the only ones pissed off about the reduced size limit were the ones that weren't getting any money out of it. I then told him that what a dumb*ss comment that was. I also think your comment about bringing in a lot of money & exposure isn't the greatest one i've ever heard either since the local government is trying it's best to exploit cumberland in every way possible simply for a buck. If the size limit hadn't been changed they would have still had a full field of boats & you can believe that. Cumberland is hammered all summer long with tourists & local pleasure boaters alike spending money on hotel rooms, gas, food, beer, campsites, launch fees etc. & it has way more 100 plus boat tournaments then you may believe too. There are a large amount of high school events held on cumberland & a lot have between 150 & to over 200 boats. There was 165 i think my buddy that fished it said in last weekends event & one last year had 265. As far as bass fishermen go most use livewell additives & lots take time to fizz there fish to if needed, but the vast majority believe it or not are strictly catch & release on the spot. Also about the locals crying believe it or not there are those of us that pretty much smallmouth fish only & dead set against a reduction in the size limit on them. They are above average size & extremely healthy like most local lakes like Laurel, Green & Dale Hollow & we'd like to keep them that way. I'd love to see largemouth 18" too on cumberland & there are some pretty healthy spots also so why not go to 14 anyway while they're at it. Don't get me wrong i like fishing tournaments from time to time & do, but i also think they should have to abide by the same rules as the every day local guys too. I also according to the pro i was talking about absoluitley believe the bit about a mortality study is pure horsesh*t. Flw claims they're " the best anglers in the world" now prove it with having the same size limit next year that the rest of us go by every day. By the way do you work for FLW or just fish their tournaments? Please let us know. LOL
    The kdfwr call in show shot the original post and most posts in this thread full of holes. The biologists seemed to doubt the spawn is happening yet, and probably 100% REAL biologists would agree. He explained the size limit reduction and the reasoning behind it, yes $ was mentioned.

As far as your "the best anglers in the world" comment? You like a few others fail to realize a 243 boat high school tournament had the same size limit reduction a couple weeks BEFORE the flw pro tournament.

The biologists did mention that any lake with a 50% or even less spawn rate would be considered a successful spawn. You should be able to find it on YouTube.

Post Thanks / Like
    You want less pressure/exposure off lakes, make gas $4-$5/gal and have the economy go back down the drain. All lakes are highly pressured anymore, even the small ones. You can’t go to Rough, Green, Nolin or Barren on a weekend and not have a couple tournaments out of every ramp. The economy is better, and gas prices went down equals more people spending and buying toys (boats). You can’t have your cake and eat it too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Z-20 View Post
    You want less pressure/exposure off lakes, make gas $4-$5/gal and have the economy go back down the drain. All lakes are highly pressured anymore, even the small ones. You can’t go to Rough, Green, Nolin or Barren on a weekend and not have a couple tournaments out of every ramp. The economy is better, and gas prices went down equals more people spending and buying toys (boats). You can’t have your cake and eat it too.
    That might work might not. One of if not the best lake in the state for the past few years is pounded to death. It has a 12" size limit across the board. Multiple tournaments each week during the ACTUAL SPAWN, and is dwarfed in size compared to Lake Cumberland.

How does it keep producing? Maybe it is because actual biologists know what they are talking about and what they are doing?

Post Thanks / Like
    i can appreciate that the kdfwr biologist "doubt" that the smallmouth havent/arent spawning, but i would ask is this conclusion based on a projection due to the time of year, or water temps or what exactly? what "hands-on" day to day real time information do they have?

i will tell you what real time information i have, sunday i caught 6 smallmouth that were 19 inches plus that were out in 30 feet of water, their stomachs were concave and they were gorging on shad as if they had the post-spawn feed bag on. in slightly shallower water i caught a 17 inch smallmouth that looked like it was about to explode. so like every other year there are all different stages going on at the same exact time.

as for holes shot in any post i remember reading one about the flw pros not targeting spawning smallmouth, when they actually wrote and explained how they were targeting spawning smallmouth. you wont have to youtube it

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    i can appreciate that the kdfwr biologist "doubt" that the smallmouth havent/arent spawning, but i would ask is this conclusion based on a projection due to the time of year, or water temps or what exactly? what "hands-on" day to day real time information do they have?

i will tell you what real time information i have, sunday i caught 6 smallmouth that were 19 inches plus that were out in 30 feet of water, their stomachs were concave and they were gorging on shad as if they had the post-spawn feed bag on. in slightly shallower water i caught a 17 inch smallmouth that looked like it was about to explode. so like every other year there are all different stages going on at the same exact time.

as for holes shot in any post i remember reading one about the flw pros not targeting spawning smallmouth, when they actually wrote and explained how they were targeting spawning smallmouth. you wont have to youtube it
    I'm sure he was talking about stable water temps. You can google smallmouth spawning temps and I don't think Lake Cumberland had reached those stable temps yet. Scratch that, I know it hadn't.

Bryan Thrift won the tournament targeting primary points, hardly a bed pattern. I myself don't believe Ky has had enough stable weather for any fish including crappie (the biologists agreed) to spawn. We have had a few good days so I don't know, certainly different than the first day of flw tournament where it snowed during practice.

I can't seem to find that article, haven't looked real hard but thought I had read about everything on it as I was interested on their techniques and patterns. Look, I wish we could go back 20 years to when our local lakes were not beat to death, not gonna happen though. Also I think out of all the Ky lakes that Lake Cumberland is the most capable of withstanding pressure. It will just be a few more weeks and the outside interest will disappear when the fish start following schools of baitfish or suspending in the middle of nowhere.

And then? The bass fishermen can go back to blaming the striper fishermen for destroying the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    I'm sure he was talking about stable water temps. You can google smallmouth spawning temps and I don't think Lake Cumberland had reached those stable temps yet. Scratch that, I know it hadn't.

Bryan Thrift won the tournament targeting primary points, hardly a bed pattern. I myself don't believe Ky has had enough stable weather for any fish including crappie (the biologists agreed) to spawn. We have had a few good days so I don't know, certainly different than the first day of flw tournament where it snowed during practice.

I can't seem to find that article, haven't looked real hard but thought I had read about everything on it as I was interested on their techniques and patterns. Look, I wish we could go back 20 years to when our local lakes were not beat to death, not gonna happen though. Also I think out of all the Ky lakes that Lake Cumberland is the most capable of withstanding pressure. It will just be a few more weeks and the outside interest will disappear when the fish start following schools of baitfish or suspending in the middle of nowhere.

And then? The bass fishermen can go back to blaming the striper fishermen for destroying the lake.
    Hahahahaha!!!! See , we do agree on something....
    Have a good one

Post Thanks / Like

From the president of FLW

Its hilarious that people think Somerset and that area is "exploting" lake Cumberland. I don't see anything evil about trying to get more people to visit a great fishery. If you look in any fishing magazine there are articles trying to promote lakes and in the back there are ads for resorts and even just general ads like visit Michigan. No big deal thats fishing. I consider exploitation is more of what amistad and falcon did having charter boats come in and fillet piles of huge bass.

Honestly I don't understand what everyone is crying about. Instead of largemouth and spots bigger limits of under 18 smallies were brought in, big deal. No one cared when high school tournaments have done this. I think it has more to do with generally not wanting the pro tournaments there.

I think this is ultimately about doing a study so they can do tournament exemptions on Cumberland, cave run, and Dale hollow in the future. After that happens I'll get some popcorn and come on here and see real fireworks.

And btw may 19 they are doing the 12in tournament exemption on cave run. It's just a big local tournament. I was thinking about fishing it too BTW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fntsyfbgod View Post
    Its hilarious that people think Somerset and that area is "exploting" lake Cumberland. I don't see anything evil about trying to get more people to visit a great fishery. If you look in any fishing magazine there are articles trying to promote lakes and in the back there are ads for resorts and even just general ads like visit Michigan. No big deal thats fishing. I consider exploitation is more of what amistad and falcon did having charter boats come in and fillet piles of huge bass.

Honestly I don't understand what everyone is crying about. Instead of largemouth and spots bigger limits of under 18 smallies were brought in, big deal. No one cared when high school tournaments have done this. I think it has more to do with generally not wanting the pro tournaments there.

I think this is ultimately about doing a study so they can do tournament exemptions on Cumberland, cave run, and Dale hollow in the future. After that happens I'll get some popcorn and come on here and see real fireworks.
    And btw may 19 they are doing the 12in tournament exemption on cave run. It's just a big local tournament. I was thinking about fishing it too BTW.
    "YOU" are the president of the FLW???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    "YOU" are the president of the FLW???
    No but Les Young think I work for them so figured I would roll with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    No but Les Young think I work for them so figured I would roll with it.
    Sorry, I thought it was funny & went pretty good with the topic at hand. It’s different when it’s in your own back yard. Still no reason for it in my opinion period even in the school tournaments. Play by the same rules as everybody else or go play where the rules suit you best I guess is what i’m saying.
    Likes stripernut1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    No but Les Young think I work for them so figureed I would roll with it.
    lol, ok gotcha

one point that has been lost in all the pro tournament vs anti tournament. for people who regularly and frequently fish the lake there is a very fierce dedication to protecting the fishery, to some that is a fault. but can you imagine if someone like me who might fish 5 or 6 days a week (and for locals thats not a problem when its 4 minutes to the ramp after work, school etc) what would happen if we loaded the livewell every day and hauled fish around and released them somewhere else, or as stated above throw em in a pile and slice em up.
    ive tried very hard to come up with a way to explain why we are upset, the folks who fish the lake (a lot) could have a very big negative impact on the fishery over time, but we choose not to do this. we abide by the regulations set forth by the kdfwr and are just confused as to how a certain exclusive group is exempted from these regulations. also for many, the biggest fear/concern we have is to see the increase in number an size of the tournaments nowadays, most of these folks wouldnt be here if it werent for the tournament, so we feel it does directly increase the pressure on the fishery. i dont know many people who would be comfortable with the prospect this situation might impact the fishery.
    at the end of the day we all fish for different reasons, as long as they are legal and in the long run dont endager the fishery its all good.
    each one of us has our own view of conditions and activities around us, we dont have to agree, but we do need to respect that others might have very valid reasons to feel differently than we do, it doesnt make anybody wrong. i have enjoyed discussing, sparring, and the back and forth in this thread, and i would like to continue but i found some spawning largemouth i need to go catch, hopefully we are having fish for supper
    Likes headbanger, Wormin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

That is one thing i totally disagree with for sure

Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post

The striper haven't hurt it at all in my book. They may be a little oppurtunistic at feeding sometimes like every other game fish, but they rarely bother any bass & definitley haven't bothered the population as some would say. I know guys that use to cut their gills & turn them loose simply because of their unimformed stupidity blaming the striper any time there was a down cycle on cumberland. If they'd think what the shad population would be without them they'd probably be thankful for them. I personally like night time striper fishing in early spring more so then bass fishing & go every weekend until the water starts getting to warm then i start smallmouth fishing.