Search Fishin.com

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Duayne View Post
    OK, here..
    https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2018...-at-cumberland

“Tournaments are good for the area, and we get several requests for lower size limits,” she continues. “But we don’t have any information on how the lower size limits could impact the lake, so as part of the study, we will look at two spring and two fall tournaments on Lake Cumberland and also Cave Run Lake. We will be monitoring fish mortality during the [Tour] tournament and for one week following the release of the fish. We’ll do that by going to each release site and carefully surveying the area.”

So people fishing tournaments have asked to lower the size limits. That is exactly what has been insinuated and discussed in this thread. If the FLW was against the change, its really easy for tourneys to install their own rules as long as they do not conflict with local regulations.
    They didnt decide to do the study just because flw pros werent happy last year. Like I said before KY fish and wildlife has waived size limits before in youth tournaments there years ago. I used to talk to Marcy and the fish and wildlife about tournament exemptions and they had thought about it 10 yrs ago. I'm not saying that flw pros didnt like the 12 in limit but if you want to blame anyone blame fish and wildlife. What this means is they want to do a study and see if there is change in mortality with lower size limits (there wont be) and decide if they should allow tournament exemptions in the future on lakes like Cumberland, Dale hollow, and cave run. I don't see why anyone would be pissed about them doing research to see if exemptions are good idea.

And honestly do you think it would look good if flw said no thinks we don't want to help with your research study because we don't want people to think we can't catch real keepers? That might be the dumbest comment on a thread full of dumb comments. I'm not sure if you were joking or blaming flw.

This should have been a thread about kyfw doing a mortality study but instead it's been a thread of anti tournament complaints.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fntsyfbgod View Post
    They didnt decide to do the study just because flw pros werent happy last year. Like I said before KY fish and wildlife has waived size limits before in youth tournaments there years ago. I used to talk to Marcy and the fish and wildlife about tournament exemptions and they had thought about it 10 yrs ago. I'm not saying that flw pros didnt like the 12 in limit but if you want to blame anyone blame fish and wildlife. What this means is they want to do a study and see if there is change in mortality with lower size limits (there wont be) and decide if they should allow tournament exemptions in the future on lakes like Cumberland, Dale hollow, and cave run. I don't see why anyone would be pissed about them doing research to see if exemptions are good idea.

And honestly do you think it would look good if flw said no thinks we don't want to help with your research study because we don't want people to think we can't catch real keepers? That might be the dumbest comment on a thread full of dumb comments. I'm not sure if you were joking or blaming flw.

This should have been a thread about kyfw doing a mortality study but instead it's been a thread of anti tournament complaints.
    So of course you are in favor of lower size limits (only for tournemt competitors) because you actually have asked for them in years past....your words (i used to talk to marcy and kdfwr)
    I personally think THAT is the dumbest comment on the whole thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    And again, i mean that with the utmost amount of respect lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course I dont see a problem with it. Dont get me wrong I don't think they should lower the size limit in every little tournament. But Im all for it in larger regional tournaments that bring in alot of money and exposure. And as a requirement you should have holding tanks and take the necessary steps in fish care. The positives of bringing in money to the local economy vs making a few locals cry is well worth it.

No worries buddy if you think my opinion is dumb the feelings mutual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course I dont see a problem with it. Dont get me wrong I don't think they should lower the size limit in every little tournament. But Im all for it in larger regional tournaments that bring in alot of money and exposure. And as a requirement you should have holding tanks and take the necessary steps in fish care. The positives of bringing in money to the local economy vs making a few locals cry is well worth it.

No worries buddy if you think my opinion is dumb the feelings mutual.
    i guess thats where the problem lies with me, why only the large tournaments?? would you be in favor of tv hunting shows being allowed to come to kentucky and shoot an extra buck? i mean if we are talking exposure and state revenue production there is no way an FLW tournament brings in as many out of state sportsman as the never ending barrage of hunting shows.
    im not anit tournament, i used to fish tournaments, i am against the "selling" the exemption to the biggest show
    if you need to do this study then offer it to the high school anglers, or the cure for cancer tournament etc etc
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    i guess thats where the problem lies with me, why only the large tournaments?? would you be in favor of tv hunting shows being allowed to come to kentucky and shoot an extra buck? i mean if we are talking exposure and state revenue production there is no way an FLW tournament brings in as many out of state sportsman as the never ending barrage of hunting shows.
    im not anit tournament, i used to fish tournaments, i am against the "selling" the exemption to the biggest show
    if you need to do this study then offer it to the high school anglers, or the cure for cancer tournament etc etc
    They don't release the deer after they shoot them that's the problem im guessing.

I don't know what other tournaments they used for the study there might be a high school tournament involved also but they do exemptions anyway for HS and youth events. I was at Cumberland a few yrs ago and they did one. Im guessing for the study they want the biggest tournaments with the largest sample size.

And in the future if they start allowing exemptions my guess is they will limit it to the tournaments that meet a certain criteria. Not based on $$ but if you do certain things to maximize mortality. Things such as treated holding tanks at weigh in, or having a conservation director and you can only get exemptions during spring and fall. I don't see smaller tournaments going thru the trouble to get an exemption but I might be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    They don't release the deer after they shoot them that's the problem im guessing.

I don't know what other tournaments they used for the study there might be a high school tournament involved also but they do exemptions anyway for HS and youth events. I was at Cumberland a few yrs ago and they did one. Im guessing for the study they want the biggest tournaments with the largest sample size.

And in the future if they start allowing exemptions my guess is they will limit it to the tournaments that meet a certain criteria. Not based on $$ but if you do certain things to maximize mortality. Things such as treated holding tanks at weigh in, or having a conservation director and you can only get exemptions during spring and fall. I don't see smaller tournaments going thru the trouble to get an exemption but I might be wrong.
    Unfortunately i have shot a couple deer that were "released"
    I do see your point about sample sized being greater in larger tournaments

Post Thanks / Like
    Is anybody following the Lake Cumberland FLW results amd updates?
    Wow, the top producers are ADMITTEDLY targeting SPAWNING smallmouth....SPAWNING. To invade a lake with an army of 100s of boats and DELIBERATELY TARGET spawning smallmouth, catch them, throw them in the livewell, and then transport them 40-50 miles away to the weigh in. And then fistpump and celebrate what youve just done??? Its abusive to a fishery and shameful.
    Also it is my understanding that the size limit for ALL bass is reduced to 12 inches, however this size limit applies EXCLUSIVELY to FLW anglers only. If "joe angler" gets caught with a 12 in largemouth he is about to get a different award.
    I just dont see how we need this type of invasion and assault on local waters.
    As far as all the revenue they bring to local economies, that argument never works, local economies do what they do the other 350 days of the year, this 5 day stretch hardly saves local communties from bankruptcy.
    Just my 2cents
    It is hard to argue with the pro-tournament crowd. In the end it is all about money vs the fishery and we all know what tournaments are about. I agree with you that dropping the size limit as a special exemption for a tournament during the spawn (smallmouth in this case) really underlines the disregard for the fishery. That is always the problem I have had with tournament fishing. Fishing to me is about so much than trying to make a buck. The real disappointment I have in this is Ky F&W. You would think they would side more with the fishery but I guess they are swayed by money as well. They say it makes the world go around. Not my world...

kc
    Likes stripernut1, headbanger, waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    if you need to do this study then offer it to the high school anglers
    Clearly you have done YOUR research. Yep, that’s sarcasm bud.

Post Thanks / Like
    US Fish & Wildlife banned tournament fishing from refuge waters back in 2001. Does anyone here really think that was done just for the helluvit or do you think they did so to protect those fisheries?

Come on guys, we all know tournament fishing is bad for the lake(s) from a conservation standpoint. I don't really see why that needs to be debated at all [common sense].

As for the economics involved I'll go find an accounting forum as soon as I start caring, last time I checked this was a fishing forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    Clearly you have done YOUR research. Yep, that’s sarcasm bud.
    Clearly we have very different views on this subject, it doesnt make me right, or you right. You wont, cant never will change my point of view , ive been shaping this point of view for well over a half century. I dont know you, dont care to and really could care less what your point of view is....and thats NOT sarcasm....bud

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a single “spawning smallmouth” were caught during this tournament. How do I know this? Because they are still not spawning. This thread was a rant about tournaments off a false premise. Seems like there is a lot of that these days.

Also this isn’t the only tournament that reduced size limits were allowed, including high school tournaments. Some of you should watch reading rainbow. “The more you know”