Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

FLW Lake Cumberland

Is anybody following the Lake Cumberland FLW results amd updates?
    Wow, the top producers are ADMITTEDLY targeting SPAWNING smallmouth....SPAWNING. To invade a lake with an army of 100s of boats and DELIBERATELY TARGET spawning smallmouth, catch them, throw them in the livewell, and then transport them 40-50 miles away to the weigh in. And then fistpump and celebrate what youve just done??? Its abusive to a fishery and shameful.
    Also it is my understanding that the size limit for ALL bass is reduced to 12 inches, however this size limit applies EXCLUSIVELY to FLW anglers only. If "joe angler" gets caught with a 12 in largemouth he is about to get a different award.
    I just dont see how we need this type of invasion and assault on local waters.
    As far as all the revenue they bring to local economies, that argument never works, local economies do what they do the other 350 days of the year, this 5 day stretch hardly saves local communties from bankruptcy.
    Just my 2cents

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess my economics course taught different than yours...

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the smallmouth bass population on Lake Cumberland? Can the population just not handle these large tournaments?

In short, what are you upset about? Are they killing hundreds of big fish? You are under estimating how much those businesses depend on these high dollar events.
    Likes Bobby Headrick, slamson71 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, my bad, i live here and see it first hand, your economics class was correct all along. And by all means lets put the dollar ahead of the fishery
    Likes PRO V LE, mhall, scuba_steve82, slamson71 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Also i never said one word about fish mortality. I said it cant be good to snatch hundreds of SPAWNING smallmouth off the SPAWNING BED and haul them 50 miles away and release them. THAT IS WHAT IM UPSET ABOUT!!

Post Thanks / Like
    If you talk to local business owners they will tell you these folks bring everything they need with them. They buy some gas and rent some hotel rooms, hardly the lifesaver some would need to save a failing business.
    Likes mhall, scuba_steve82, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Flw is great

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I think it's complete bull$hit. I don't have a problem with the FLW per say but I think what fish and wildlife did by changing the size limit is terrible. Supposedly on Cumberland and Cave Run select tournaments can keep short fish. It was all a money grab. If they change the size limit permanently it will ruin the lake. I personally think the flw should have said "no thanks" these guys are professionals and can catch fish like ordinary people.
    Likes stripernut1, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I watch major league fishing on TV and think they do it right.1 pro fisherman per boat with a on boat witness and fish weigher/tracker and all fish over 1lb count towards your total weight and all fish are released as fast as they are weighed this has to be better for the fish and would keep people from cheating which goes on in many fishing contest.When big money and brand new boats ect are the prizes people figure out ways to cheat to win.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want a firestorm, start talking about fishing tournament fishing during spawning season. Biologists say studies have proven it “doesn’t SEEM to harm the bass population.” But if anyone has a lick of common sense, you know if you take a female bass off her nest, or even before she spawns, it causes stress. What happens when you disturb a turkey nest, she leaves her nest and her eggs. A female bass will leave her nest 70”% of the time, IF she is release farther than 50 yards of her nest. Now if you take her down the lake a few miles after being in the well all day, jerk her out of the well and put her in a bag, jerk her back out and hold her up for all to see, maybe in the process breaking her jaw, and then dumping her out, I doubt she will spawn, if she survives. Anyone with any common sense at all knows this is true regardless of what kinds of studies are done. Do we really need to kill our big green and brown fish, just to feed one’s arrogance and ego? I don’t think so. Wait until the “Big Heads” come the Cumberland. Count your blessings everyone.

Now lets talk about studies. I have biology degree and when I was in college years ago, we did fish population studies. One study was done on a three acres private lake. This lake had been stocked for five years without any fishing allowed. After this time, fishing was allowed under moderate pressure. Within two years, the bass population dropped in size and numbers by 52%. The reasons the big bass were taken off the nest and taken home. Another study was done in an old rock quarry filled with 9 to 11 inch average size bluegill. Within two years, the average size and numbers dropped by 43% because the big females were taken off the nest and taken home.

In closing, why can’t you tournament guys SIMPLY catch, weight and release on point of catch, and MAYBE the big girl will find her bed again. How simple is that. It being done in some tournaments now.

Bonefish

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for that response, Bonefish! That sheds light on the subject and why people don't care for the procedures of the FLW tour.

I simply did not know that they jerked these fish around all day.
    Likes stripernut1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    AMEN Stripernut I agree with everything you said 100 percent. I mean if these winy ass crybabies can't catch full grown fish take your happy asses down the road because MOST OF US DON'T WANT YOU HERE ANYWAY. Tournaments are hurting fisheries and everything Jeff said is correct. Some of you won't buy in but trust me one day the truth will come out.
    Why do northern fisheries kick our ass in the their fishery departments is because many take care of the fish while they are making babies. But now the almighty dollar and pro fishing is more important.

I will go to Michigan in a few weeks and catch more big brown bass the first three days than many here will catch in a three months in our fisheries. WAKE UP KENTUCKY
    Last edited by mhall; 04-13-2018 at 08:23 PM.
    Likes stripernut1, roadrunner, GeoFisher liked this post