Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Boat motor issue

So today I'm running wide open when all of a sudden it felt like I hit something and the boat came off plane instantly. Shut the motor off thinking I had hit a stump or log or something and raised my motor. Everything looked good. Start the motor it idles just fine but when I click it into forward it makes a bad noise and doesn't move. Any idea what could have happened. So we begin our 3 mile troll back to the ramp. Called the carr creek marina and they couldn't tow us so the nice lady called kdfw and the us army corps. I had the CO call me and offer to come tow us but then the us corps showed up. They told me they would follow me but they prefer not to tow unless I'm having to paddle my bass boat. They followed us all the way to the ramp. Any help would be appreciated in diagnosising the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a carpenter not a mechanic sounds like broken shaft or gear what about a spun out prop I'd put the boat in gear without starting of course and see if I could move the prop sorry to hear about your problems you work hard just want to have a little fun than this
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    similar problem on mine- was a belt that broke, hope yours is as simple!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighter215 View Post
    So today I'm running wide open when all of a sudden it felt like I hit something and the boat came off plane instantly. Shut the motor off thinking I had hit a stump or log or something and raised my motor. Everything looked good. Start the motor it idles just fine but when I click it into forward it makes a bad noise and doesn't move. Any idea what could have happened. So we begin our 3 mile troll back to the ramp. Called the carr creek marina and they couldn't tow us so the nice lady called kdfw and the us army corps. I had the CO call me and offer to come tow us but then the us corps showed up. They told me they would follow me but they prefer not to tow unless I'm having to paddle my bass boat. They followed us all the way to the ramp. Any help would be appreciated in diagnosising the problem.
    Sounds like lower unit to me. Don't have any experience working on the lower end but if it starts and idles fine the top end sounds ok but when you put into gear it makes a bad noise that almost has to be lower unit. You might go ahead and change the lower unit oil and see what that looks like for a clue...

kc