Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

reel repair around Louisville...?

Sorry if this has been covered already. Who do you recommend to have reels repaired around the Louisville area? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: reel repair around Louisville...?

I picked up a business card at last weeks swap meet in Taylorsville for a reel repair shop. The person was from Crestwood,KY. I will look around for it tomorrow and post the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. That would be great. Crestwood is very close to me. Hope you find his card..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Booyah View Post
    Thanks. That would be great. Crestwood is very close to me. Hope you find his card..
    His card says joes fishing reel repair
    502-241-9713
    he was recommended to me by Don Brown. Don retired and sold his equipment to Joe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BGRAY View Post
    His card says joes fishing reel repair
    502-241-9713
    he was recommended to me by Don Brown. Don retired and sold his equipment to Joe.
    I talked to that guy for a bit at the show and he seems like a great guy. He has never worked on a reel of mine but if I ever have one go down he will get the call.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. for Joe. Dropped 9 reels off to him Saturday afternoon, 2 of which I didn't know if could be fixed. He fixed 2 and cleaned them all for a very fair price and had them finished last night. Very pleased and would recommend him to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Resurrecting this old thread

Hey everyone.
    I have not been able to find a newer thread pertaining to this issue so I am hoping a post on this will draw the original participants back.
    I was recently given my long passed grandfather’s fishing gear and looking at all kinda sparked a want to start fishing again (I’ve bobber fished since I was wee but never really tried or learned how to use artificial bait). Anyway one of the things I was given was an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur 5000, a red aluminum one, that I am GUESSING is from about 1958-60. The darn thing works but needs to be cleaned and refreshed and being so new to this I would not want to hazard this myself, ruining my papaw’s priced reel before I get a chance to even use it would likely bring his long deceased corpse back from the grave.

The spool is operates smoothly and the drag seems to be working, but the mechanical brake on is all whacked out. I can’t find a middle ground, it is either too loose and a rats nest develops upon casting or its so tight I can’t cast off my porch (I’m fiddling with this at home). I replaced the ANCIENT monofilament with some braided line in hopes that it would help with the rat nesting and it helped but the line is not the issue.

Does anyone know if the people suggested in this thread still fixing reels?
    Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, there were DOZENS of old neat looking lures in the tackle box, I do not want to use them but I am curious if there is a market for antique(ish) lures if anyone knows about that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Awrobi01 View Post

As a side note, there were DOZENS of old neat looking lures in the tackle box, I do not want to use them but I am curious if there is a market for antique(ish) lures if anyone knows about that.
    Depends on what brand/model they are, their condition, and if they're still in the original box. Sometimes the box is worth more than the lure, because they're usually thrown away & thus are in short supply.

You can check thru some of these links and cross reference the lures to them .... may find a buyer (if you really wanted to sell any of them), or you may just find out their current worth : https://www.google.com/search?q=anti...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Some people, that don't want to sell the hand-me-down lures from their fathers or grandfathers, make shadow boxes for them and display them in their homes ... preserving the "memories" of their mentors or loved ones.

And in the case of no response from the prior posting members, or any other reputable reel repair places, then you could always check out this link for pricing & shipping locations (in your case it would be the "not under warranty" section) : http://www.abugarcia.com/AbuGarcia-service.html
    Likes Awrobi01 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the lures are in good shape, but no, my papaw didn’t save any of the boxes. Thanks for the link, I’m going to go poke around there. No way I’d sell em though, just curious if I have a “rare lure.”

I’ll make sure to look at the abu site...in the out of warranty section of course. Doing just a bit of research I found my reel, and it’s this one, and it’s from 1954 not 1958
    http://www.randysantiquefishinglures...9_orig.jpg?165