Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Asian Carp are destroying Kentucky and Barkley Lake

When a 33 lb 4 day total cashes a 10k check in the Elite Series.........you know the CRAP is BAD. I know the CRAP is bad.

This is by far the worse spring I've ever had down there, and the past two falls have been horrible.

Yea, my friends.........I believe unless they figure something out, the hey day of the LBL region is in for some serious economic issues.....

I suspect this may be the last time the Elites show up on KY Lake.......

https://www.bassmaster.com/results/t...entucky-lake/1

Sad all around.

Post Thanks / Like

B.A.S.S. Derby weights.

Geo,
    The tournament fishes a full field for two days. Then the top 50 fish the third and top 12 fish the 4th. It still is not good, the weight per fish was OK but the numbers of keepers and limits was bad. The one thing that cutting the field does is guys who are in the back of the 50 field can’t go any lower so most of those guys shoot for the moon and try off the wall ideas to maybe popping a huge bad. They normally bomb, but a few have shot up the ranks. It does skew the numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep it's bad for everyone.

I heard a rumor that asian carp were in Taylorsville now. Can anyone confirm?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by headbanger View Post
    Yep it's bad for everyone.

I heard a rumor that asian carp were in Taylorsville now. Can anyone confirm?
    I've heard that same rumor, but as yet have not seen any ... nor has there been anyone known to have snagged into one. However, that being said .... THEY ARE in the waters below the spillway, having made their way up the Salt River to that point. They can go no further than there UNLESS someone transports them to the lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crappiepappy View Post
    I've heard that same rumor, but as yet have not seen any ... nor has there been anyone known to have snagged into one. However, that being said .... THEY ARE in the waters below the spillway, having made their way up the Salt River to that point. They can go no further than there UNLESS someone transports them to the lake.
    Thanks Pappy! We kayak up around Van Buren sometimes and I always see some species of carp jumping here and there but not sure if those are of the Asian variety or not. If they are in the lake though I would predict they will totally take it over eventually. As far as transporting them from below the spillway, stupid is as stupid does.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where should the numbers be?? I'm not a bass fisherman, I have no clue where these top level pros should be weight wise? I thought this was a 3 day tournament, is it 4 days??

Where should the top ten or so bags be? I HATE these Asian Carp!! We moved down here less than 2 years ago from Jeffersonville, Indiana. Thank God I didn't pay much for my place down here because I'm afraid property values could take a dive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Several entities are to blame for the asian carp invasion. First the Fish and wildlife and other gov agencies that allowed these fish to be brought in to the states, the commercial fishing ponds that stocked them, these are some that should help fix this problem, Also the Ky dept of fish and wildlife should have and could have put up barriers like the agencies did in the upper Mississippi. The KDFW in their inability to act accordingly,have probably helped to lead to the demise of all the tn river fishery's. The carp are headed to Pickwick,Guntersville, and other Tn river impoundments. The KDFWR,instead of blowing money on other projects should have stepped up and tried to protect these very economical producing lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

So fish for them

No one gave a ratazz when the great lakes were invaded by alewives, white perch, sculpin and other fish that were not natural to those waters. Those asian carp are a food fish, and they can be exported in different form as a protein source. Again we can thank the agri business lobbyists that gave the OK to bring those fish into our country.It was great for the fish farmers, but they didn't give any thought to who might get screwed for the good of a few. Thats the free enterprise folks,who about the importers of the burmese python who touted them as pets?
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    When a 33 lb 4 day total cashes a 10k check in the Elite Series.........you know the CRAP is BAD. I know the CRAP is bad.

This is by far the worse spring I've ever had down there, and the past two falls have been horrible.

Yea, my friends.........I believe unless they figure something out, the hey day of the LBL region is in for some serious economic issues.....

I suspect this may be the last time the Elites show up on KY Lake.......

https://www.bassmaster.com/results/t...entucky-lake/1

Sad all around.
    I am not too worried about tournaments -- that might actually be a little positive of the asian invasion if they scare off some of the tournament activity. Those lakes are hammered by tourneys. But things I have observed -- other than the poor fishing -- is starting to make me wonder. Notice the baitfish schools -- or lack there of? I remember when Barkley and Ky was bank to bank shad and now I rarely see any schools of shad -- anywhere on either lake. I think that is the first step of the demise as the asians undercut the top of the food chain. The next will be crowding out the fry as they will compete with the asians early on so then recruitment can become a problem. Without the schools of shad what will support the numbers and size of the predators? I caught some crappie on Ky Saturday that just weren't the norm. They were long and skinny -- not the thick slabs with shoulders that usually come out of that lake. That said the few crappie I caught on Barkley this spring seemed normal. I am also starting to wonder about the birds on the lakes. It seems to me that the numbers of blue heron and comorants seem down as I think they primary feed on shad. Although they are transient the numbers of pelicans in the fall and winter might drop off if the abundant shad are not there for them too. A fishery is a complex web of inter-connections and I don't think the asians will soley make all the difference but their presence and expansion is not positive in any way unless you are a commercial fisherman targeting them. I am just hoping for a break -- like that big fish kill below the dam that might knock them down a notch. Or maybe mother nature will throw us back into several years of drought like what started the weed and bass explosion back in the mid-80s. Otherwise, I am trying to figure out how to get a silver or bighead to take a lure as that might become the only game in town...

kc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    Where should the numbers be?? I'm not a bass fisherman, I have no clue where these top level pros should be weight wise? I thought this was a 3 day tournament, is it 4 days??

Where should the top ten or so bags be? I HATE these Asian Carp!! We moved down here less than 2 years ago from Jeffersonville, Indiana. Thank God I didn't pay much for my place down here because I'm afraid property values could take a dive!
    Bags should be at leats 18-20lbs a day this time of year.....I regularly caught 20+lbs each day this time of year in the past.

Could be the high water, could be late spring, could be a lot of things..........but I suspect the carp.
    Likes Bobby Headrick liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they are doing all they can.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	asians.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	16758  
    Likes aceoky, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Looks like they are doing all they can.
    I hope they dont make into Nolin & Rough , but with the high water this year I got a BAD FEELING