Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Lake Bassmaster Tournament Cringe Factor

Looking through youtube today I came across the following video from Last weekend's Bassmasters event at Kentucky Lake:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZcEgZG-PwU

After watching this video of the winner boat flip big fish and dropping them in his boat the way he did. All I can say is I'm not a fan of what I'm seeing. It even appears he kicked a fish still hooked further into the boat. I know bass are tough fish. But, this almost seems disrespectful to the fishery.

After the discussion on here a few weeks ago about the FLW event on Lake Cumberland. I'd like to see what some of you all think about this. While it may not be a popular opinion. I'm not liking what these tournaments are today. My opinion is these guys come to our best regional waters for a week and disrespect the water and the fish in it.
    Likes Hershey102, gofishdave liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    +1

My thoughts exactly. After the winner slammed a couple of bass into the boat I turned it off. Bassmasters does not seem inclined to incentivize the proper handling of fish or at least penalize improper handling. The corrupting influence of $$$, I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Couldn't agree more. I think we've all been guilty at some point of getting excited about landing a nice fish and you boat flip or maybe make a poor decision in landing. But I'd like to think for most of us it is definitely the exception and not norm.

I'm not a Strader fan. First saw him on MLF and just seems like a clown. He's super negative when he's not catching fish on that show at least and complains and he's made comments about how he doesn't like MLF rules.

After watching this video it completely reinforces my disdain for him.

In general however and not picking solely on him, I'd absolutely like to see a bit more respect paid to lakes that these guys are traveling too, because, in my opinion it's the YEARS of good care of the fish the local fisherman put in, proper treatment and handling, that continue to create good fisheries that these big circuits WANT to come to. If us locals don't take care of our waters, then they won't have healthy fish to MISTREAT. So how about showing some respect to us locals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve82 View Post
    Couldn't agree more. I think we've all been guilty at some point of getting excited about landing a nice fish and you boat flip or maybe make a poor decision in landing. But I'd like to think for most of us it is definitely the exception and not norm.

I'm not a Strader fan. First saw him on MLF and just seems like a clown. He's super negative when he's not catching fish on that show at least and complains and he's made comments about how he doesn't like MLF rules.

After watching this video it completely reinforces my disdain for him.

In general however and not picking solely on him, I'd absolutely like to see a bit more respect paid to lakes that these guys are traveling too, because, in my opinion it's the YEARS of good care of the fish the local fisherman put in, proper treatment and handling, that continue to create good fisheries that these big circuits WANT to come to. If us locals don't take care of our waters, then they won't have healthy fish to MISTREAT. So how about showing some respect to us locals.

This is one reason why I love Kayak tournaments so much. We practice Catch-Photo-Release, the fish is out of the water for no more than a minute or so and is released right back to where it was caught. Most of our guys I think really strive to minimize damage and abuse to fish when we catch them. This is especially beneficial during the spawning season.
    Likes stripernut1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    This is one reason why I love Kayak tournaments so much. We practice Catch-Photo-Release, the fish is out of the water for no more than a minute or so and is released right back to where it was caught. Most of our guys I think really strive to minimize damage and abuse to fish when we catch them. This is especially beneficial during the spawning season.
    I think this is a great way to go or MLF weight and release I don't think there should be major tournaments when bass are spawning.
    Likes Bobby Headrick, GeoFisher, slamson71 liked this post