Search Fishin.com

Thread: Im new!

Post Thanks / Like

Im new!

Hey yall! Don't know if this is the right place to post this. But im a somewhat new fisherman. I have gone to ponds and lakes around here a lot lately to fish foe fun

Today i decided to buy a pole. Got a 6 foot medium (6-12 lb line) Ugly Stik Gx2 with a spinning reel. We do a lot of cat fishin around here.

I guess my question is.... if i wanna do a lot of bank fishing for decent cats with this... what type of set up should i be using with this pole? What type of line and size and what not . All that....

Im really knew when it comes to setting up rigs and all that. Ive always just used a friends pole and went at it lol.

Help me get my pole all set up and ready to rock!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SwoveyMillz View Post
    Hey yall! Don't know if this is the right place to post this. But im a somewhat new fisherman. I have gone to ponds and lakes around here a lot lately to fish foe fun

Today i decided to buy a pole. Got a 6 foot medium (6-12 lb line) Ugly Stik Gx2 with a spinning reel. We do a lot of cat fishin around here.

I guess my question is.... if i wanna do a lot of bank fishing for decent cats with this... what type of set up should i be using with this pole? What type of line and size and what not . All that....

Im really knew when it comes to setting up rigs and all that. Ive always just used a friends pole and went at it lol.

Help me get my pole all set up and ready to rock!
    There 2 basic catfish rigs. Either a slip sinker rig or a drop sinker rig. For bank fishing I’d go with the drop sinker rig. Here’s how:
    http://www.in-fisherman.com/files/20...-Fisherman.jpg
    Likes lifeisfree liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

catfishin

If you are in a place where you have big cats[10 and overpounds] your rig will be fine. Ugly sticks are just that but for the price thet are impossible to beat. An over looked bait is chicken strips[raw] let em sit out for a day or so, they are easier to use than livers and work quite well. I'd go to a 30lb braid[6lb dia].A bank fishing tip, wrap a rubber band around the lower part of your rodjust above the reel. After youmake your cast, make a loop of fishing line and pass it through the rubber band, and leave your bail open, when that loop goes away, set the hook.