Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fish relocating in creeks

My main fishing area close to home is a creek that is about like Elkhorn Creek, pools and riffles and I am fishing mainly for smallmouth. The depth ranges from ankle deep to chest deep in some of the deeper pools. My question is this; from one fishing season to the next, lets say when I quit fishing in November until I start back in say March do you think the smallmouth relocate from one area or pool to another? I was just wondering with the high waters and flooding throughout the winter are they washed down stream from pool to pool or do they stay in the same one. I was just curious because it seems like one of the pools ( the size of a football field maybe) I had 70 plus fish days in last season isn't producing this year. Also any thoughts on where smallmouth spawn in pools that have constant current? Any thoughts or info would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had to take an educated guess I would say fish move up and down stream on a daily basis depending on where the food is. I have fished creeks and streams a lot in my life and there are spots in them all that should hold fish that don't at certain times and places I catch fish that I don't think fish should be. I have also experienced streams that had an influx of otters that destroyed the fishing. Not a fish for a mile or so it seemed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Stoner here’s a link to a great article on smallmouth movement....in short yes they move.....up to 5 miles....holy smokes.

Thefisheriesblog.com

Post Thanks / Like
    They move quite a bit in my experience, food mostly over the season, for spawning, and predator pressure. Up north on the great lakes, the creeks running in have year long residents and fish that move in now when the temperature is right for a spawning run. You can catch them until they swim back to the lake any time before the real heat and low flows in July.
    If the stream you fish has a 70 fish/day hole there is something there 365. This past week I saw mature smallies that were in spawning mode and not interested, week before they were hungry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info guys and Richmann thanks for the link. I kinda had to figure they moved around. The area I was talking about is a large pool (football field sized). There is a series of shallows before and after this stretch of water with a couple smaller pools below after a series of shallow riffles. I am guessing they may move downstream because there is no way to access upstream. Over 10 years of fishing this water I have had good years and bad. I am hoping that the fish are still somewhere I can locate them again and didn't wash away. LOL, I sure have been spoiled catching good numbers of 12-22 inch smallies on skinny water on my light tackle. Makes for some great days!