Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tailwater bank fishing

Guys,

I’m in Danville and I can only go bank fishing for a bit. I’m looking for advice on good tailgaters to Bank fish from. I am familiar with Barren River. Any other good ones?

I am just looking for info on access and quality of fishing. Barren River has great access and quality but is a two hour drive.

Thanks!
    Last edited by jpm537; 05-20-2018 at 01:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    My research on Mapping shows access at the following lakes:

Barkley
    Barren River - very good
    Cave Run
    Grayson - fished it once and did ok
    Green River
    Kentucky
    Laurel River - looks really shallow
    Nolin
    Rough River
    Taylorsville

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm537 View Post
    My research on Mapping shows access at the following lakes:

Barkley
    Barren River - very good
    Cave Run
    Grayson - fished it once and did ok
    Green River
    Kentucky
    Laurel River - looks really shallow
    Nolin
    Rough River
    Taylorsville
    Forget Taylorsville IMHO .... If it was really any good, you'd see more people fishing it. Plus, last time I was there it was so full of Asian Carp that I kept "almost" snagging into them. Then a friend of mine went back shortly thereafter and actually did hang & land one of about 20#. You'd probably catch more fish by going to the lake ramps and fishing from the banks around them.

You might also consider Lake Reba (Richmond) or possibly even Cedar Creek, although Cedar Creek bank access areas are mostly shallow water banks (unless you walk the rocks at the dam).

You didn't say what in particular you'd fish for, or how able you are to walk banks (just that you could only do it "for a bit", and not whether that's because of time constraint or capability).

The outflows (cfs), at the time you go, would likely determine whether the fishing was likely to be productive or not, so you would also have to take that into consideration.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not allowed to go on the boat by myself for a little while. I had some heart surgery and the wife doesn’t want me boating alone. I’m planning on doing some bank fishing. I can walk level ground easy, steep hills would wear me out. I am fun fishing so I’ll be throwing minnows and worms.

Post Thanks / Like
    not sure how you feel about catfish paylakes, but considering your temporary condition, and that you are just fun fishing this may get you back on the water so to speak. paylakes will give you the best, easiest and safest conditions to walk, some paylakes actually have a road around the lake so you would be able to driveright to your spot.
    i wish you a speedy recuperation and hope you are able to get back on the water soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Tailwaters

If I were you, I'd drive down to Wolf Creek Dam and trout fish the river or hatchery creek. Lots of fish, lots of access, and easy to get to. Especially hatchery creek.
    Likes GeoFisher, CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Results

I went to the tailwater of Green River Dam. I had low expectations because of the minimal output from the Dam. I went because I wanted to explore it for future use as it is the closest to my house.

The water was shallow through most of the tailwater. It was nice learning were the rocks are for when the water is flowing. I saw a few huge schools of massive gizzard shad. Most of them were 8 inches but the largest were around 12 inches. I saw some golden red horse suckers, what I believe were sauger and a few drum. Then I started seeing some massive fish. I thought they were huge gar. Once they got close I thought they had to be alligator gar but then I realized that they wouldn’t be there. Then they got right up to me and I realized they were Muskie. They varied in size from small males to massive females. The largest were 50+ inches. There were at least a 100 swimming around with no care about food or anglers. I am guessing they were spawning. I only caught a few rock bass but it was an amazing trip. I may never see that many Muskie again in my entire life. It was extremely cool.

Thanks to everyone that provided input and advice. Thanks!
    Last edited by jpm537; 05-24-2018 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jpm537 View Post
    I went to the tailwater of Green River Dam. I had low expectations because of the minimal output from the Dam. I went because I wanted to explore it for future use as it is the closest to my house.

The water was shallow through most of the tailwater. It was nice learning were the rocks are for when the water is flowing. I saw a few huge schools of massive gizzard shad. Most of them were 8 inches but the largest were around 12 inches. I saw some golden red horse suckers, what I believe were sauger and a few drum. Then I started seeing some massive fish. I thought they were huge gar. Once they got close I thought they had to be alligator gar but then I realized that they wouldn’t be there. Then they got right up to me and I realized they were Muskie. They varied in size from small males to massive females. The largest were 50+ inches. There were at least a 100 swimming around with no care about food or anglers. I am guessing they were spawning. I only caught a few rock bass but it was an amazing trip. I may never see that many Muskie again in my entire life. It was extremely cool.

Thanks to everyone that provided input and advice. Thanks!
    Sure they were muskie.....I saw a ton of ASIAN carp there , I thought.........

Post Thanks / Like
    They were Muskie. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FB95B5DA-08FF-4466-AD72-75406885FE2A.jpg 
Views:	464 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	16851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DEC3B137-C969-47E2-ACD4-BAC8D78C29EC.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	16852Horrible pics but it’s the best I took.