Summer is knocking at the door here on the North Indian River and Mosquito Lagoon Florida, water temps approaching 80’F, mullet and baitfish schools here for the summer, big variety of different saltwater fish species to be caught here in the backwaters. Through the summer we will be catching Seatrout, Redfish, Snook, Mangrove Snapper, Black Drum, Jack Crevalle, Ladyfish and always other surprise fish too.Summer patterns can be mostly scattered fish in the warm water with fish in ambush point locations, creek mouths and points with a good tidal current flow, and shadowing baitfish schools, and bait and crabs riding the tide along moving water channels. Fun surface striking fish are great for summer sight fishing activity, with open water fish like Jack Crevalle, Ladyfish and even Tarpon, but Trout and Redfish will also come to the top. Summer baits include live shrimp, pigfish, pinfish, and finger mullet, for artificials , early morning top waters, 3” shad tail jigs and twitch baits. Morning trips are the summer norm, early feeding fish and a little cooler than the heat of mid day. Ed from Astor, Florida out with a couple friends on a recent backcountry trip caught all the usual different species as well as this over slot 28” Redfish on a live shrimp and light tackle……………..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May2018EdRedfish.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	16825

Repeat client Mike from Buffalo NY caught a good back water Black Drum……………………

Name:	May2018MikeDrum.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	119.3 KB 
ID:	16826

Spotted Seatrout are one of our main summer target species, usually hungry on summer mornings taking live baits and artificial lures, average size“Specks” are schooling fish, with larger Seatrout usually more solitary fish, we catch them on the edge of drop offs as well as shallow water flats near bait fish schools. Kacie with one of the Trout she caught on her trip…………………

Name:	May2018KacieTrout.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	16827

Kristin and Dennis from Alaska came fly fishing with me, landing Trout, Jack Crevalle, and Ladyfish on 6 weight fly tackle with my “Savedow Special” back water flies…………………

Name:	May2018KristinFlyLady.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	16828

This year has been good here for Black Drum, catching good numbers during winter and spring, along the bottom on channel edges and back country holes, they mainly eat shrimp and crabs, Dan from Lakeland Florida caught a nice one………..

Name:	May2018DanDrum.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	16829

On a fun trip with first time solo client Thomas from Texas we caught Snook, Reds, Jacks and more, Tom snapped a pic of me with a Red I caught on a 3” white shad tail jig off the edge of a flooded oyster bar………………..

Name:	May2018CaptMikeRedfish.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	128.0 KB 
ID:	16830

Jack Crevalle are a staple of our fun rod bending backcountry catching,they are not picky, eat most any bait or lure, sizes usually 1 to 5l bs in the back waters………………………

Name:	May2018Jack.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	16831

Fun Friendly Light Tackle Fishing Adventures
Closest Saltwater Fishing toOrlando at New Smyrna Beach
Calm Water Indian River Backcountry
CHILDRENALWAYS WELCOME – FAIR PRICES

CALL OR TEXT ME ANYTIME 386-689-3781
http://EdgewaterRiverGuide.com/orlando-fishing-guide

Capt.Michael Savedow