Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Big Mcneely LMB 2.0

Few months back i landed a fairly large LMB out of Mcneely but didnt have a scale nor tape to measure it. Decided to let her go after pictures and was pretty excited about my fluke catch out of a crap lake.

Few days ago i decided to try that spot once again between rain storms as its the closest, easiest access spot that produces at least a fish or two most days.

I fished the log i caught the big girl at every angle i could with no hits on anything i tried. After a few minutes of that i looked to my right at another set of logs and saw a big swirl near a grassmat but figured it was just a mcneely carp i see often there. I ended up working some logs left of the swirl and worked my way over after a few casts with a zoom black ruby baby brush hog. Worked it very slowly with long pauses. About 2 feet behind the log and 3 feet in front of the grass mat, the line ended up slowly walking to where it looked as if current could be the culprit. Every pro ive ever heard in my countless hours of youtube videos trying to learn this sport has all said one thing for certain, when in doubt set the hook. So i did.

Long winded but this is what it produced. Im beyond certain its the same girl i caught few months ago. This time she came home with me. 20.5" long. 6" from back to belly. 4lb 6oz and absolutely beautiful.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180528_192659.jpg 
Views:	581 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	16882   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180528_185011.jpg 
Views:	570 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	16881  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Straughn View Post
    Few months back i landed a fairly large LMB out of Mcneely but didnt have a scale nor tape to measure it. Decided to let her go after pictures and was pretty excited about my fluke catch out of a crap lake.

Few days ago i decided to try that spot once again between rain storms as its the closest, easiest access spot that produces at least a fish or two most days.

I fished the log i caught the big girl at every angle i could with no hits on anything i tried. After a few minutes of that i looked to my right at another set of logs and saw a big swirl near a grassmat but figured it was just a mcneely carp i see often there. I ended up working some logs left of the swirl and worked my way over after a few casts with a zoom black ruby baby brush hog. Worked it very slowly with long pauses. About 2 feet behind the log and 3 feet in front of the grass mat, the line ended up slowly walking to where it looked as if current could be the culprit. Every pro ive ever heard in my countless hours of youtube videos trying to learn this sport has all said one thing for certain, when in doubt set the hook. So i did.

Long winded but this is what it produced. Im beyond certain its the same girl i caught few months ago. This time she came home with me. 20.5" long. 6" from back to belly. 4lb 6oz and absolutely beautiful.

Man congrats on the catch! Beautiful fish. I'm not bashing your decision to keep the fish, its definitely your right to do so. But, did you give some thought to the fact that you caught the same fish twice? What if you released it and could go back next year and maybe she would be even bigger? You feel that McNeely is a crap lake, maybe if that particular fish were to be left in the lake it would then be able to keep spawning for a few more years so those genes might help the population there in the long term. Just something to think about, again congrats on a great catch and I don't want you to think I am bashing you for keeping it, just consider leaving the bigger bass especially in lakes that may be struggling with populations of larger fish.
    Likes Straughn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    Man congrats on the catch! Beautiful fish. I'm not bashing your decision to keep the fish, its definitely your right to do so. But, did you give some thought to the fact that you caught the same fish twice? What if you released it and could go back next year and maybe she would be even bigger? You feel that McNeely is a crap lake, maybe if that particular fish were to be left in the lake it would then be able to keep spawning for a few more years so those genes might help the population there in the long term. Just something to think about, again congrats on a great catch and I don't want you to think I am bashing you for keeping it, just consider leaving the bigger bass especially in lakes that may be struggling with populations of larger fish.
    I did consider it. Struggled with the choice and typically im extremely careful to not injure any bass i catch. The reason i decided to were a multiple of factors into one. First off is this is my PB. Not only is it my PB and first truly "big" bass ive caught, but it was in a high pressure, trash filled lake. That alone wasnt enough to make me take her though, the big reason was because i did catch her twice in that same spot. The spot i was in has an insane amount of pressure from less than honorable fisherman. Been multiple times ive cane to that spot to smell a half cut up channel or flathead rotting next to a firepit. I truly believed someone else was going to land her and shed meet the same fate. Those factors are what made me decide to take her.

Like i said im conflicted, i encourage catch and release all the time and plan on releasing any future bass like this. But this one i just couldnt let go again.

Replicas will be future mounts now i have tape and a scale in the bag though!

Post Thanks / Like
    The last time the lake was checked by the Fish & Wildlife people
    they said Mcneely lake had a higher than usual bass population
    over 2 lbs and rated the lake "excellent" for bass fishing.
    Not many lakes get that "excellent" rating.
    There's a lot of bass in that lake,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcclark View Post
    The last time the lake was checked by the Fish & Wildlife people
    they said Mcneely lake had a higher than usual bass population
    over 2 lbs and rated the lake "excellent" for bass fishing.
    Not many lakes get that "excellent" rating.
    There's a lot of bass in that lake,
    Theres a fairly decent population in there for sure. Most the bass i catch there are 9-13". I fish it at least 4 times a week and produce a bass everytime i go.

By trash lake, i literally mean its a trash filled lake. Its horrible. The woods and trails along the lake are FILLED with garbage bags and trash strung everywhere. Most of it concentrates near the apartments for what thats worth. Its easily one of the most polluted lakes ive ever fished.

But yes the population is thriving fairly well from what i can tell. I truly doubt theres a large population of 18"+ LMB in there though. At least compared to some of the lakes ive fished in indiana that are the same size.

Great spot for being 5 minutes from my house though and provides plenty of practice

Post Thanks / Like
    You realize that those without a scale would have had a 6 lber!
    Likes Straughn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fishincreek View Post
    You realize that those without a scale would have had a 6 lber!
    Hahaha! Possibly even 6.25!!

I told my friends before i thought she was 4.5 but safe guess was at least 4lbs. Looks like i nailed it on my guess

Post Thanks / Like
    nice catch! my brother caught several largemouth in the 2.5-3 range out of mcneely last year. Population and quality of LMB's coming out of there has been improving.

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest McNeeley bass. She was a joy to catch and release.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	04-11-08_1845.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	17287  
    Likes daveschaad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Real nice fish!