Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing below Cumberland Wolf Creek dam?

Hi, how far can you run a boat if you out in a boat below Wolf Creek dam? I've been told you can tear up your lower unit fast if you don't know what you're doing on the river and especially when the water is low. I don't want to tear up my boat, but I've always wanted to fish on the river. Is the fishing good in the river or should I just stay on Cumberland?

Post Thanks / Like
    First question, what kind of boat do you have? If the dam is running 4 gates for example you could run any boat full speed without any danger, if there is 1 or 2 gates open you could run jon boats and smaller bass boats, if there are no gates open you could run a kayak or canoe or a small type jon with the trolling motor. There are a lot of rock piles and gravel shoals up by the dam. Downstream you will encounter big tree snags and stickups along the banks. If you take your time an use caution you can learn to navigate the river, its worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    You can put in on down the river in a small bass boat and be ok. Like anywhere you're unfamiliar with, take your time. If going right below the dam, be sure to check the TVA schedule for the power generation schedule. The water gets so low that you can't hardly trailer a boat. One last thing, be off the water before dark. The cold water causes it to fog up and then it gets really hairy leaving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like others have said its about generation schedule. I fish down there in the winter time out of an 18 foot tracker tournament without any issues as long as at least 2 generators are running. If it drops to one the water starts dropping pretty quick. Might be a good idea to drive by there a few times when they aren't generating to get a general idea of what it looks like when its lower.