Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trailer Bunk Boards

Need replace my Ezloader trailer 12 foot bunk boards. Called maker, who noted “ do not use pressure treated wood as not legal to go so”. Wow? Who da thunk it. So what kind of wood do you use? And anyone know a marine service shop around Jamestown who does this ? Tks in advance.
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe Mejuwa View Post
    Need replace my Ezloader trailer 12 foot bunk boards. Called maker, who noted “ do not use pressure treated wood as not legal to go so”. Wow? Who da thunk it. So what kind of wood do you use? And anyone know a marine service shop around Jamestown who does this ? Tks in advance.
    I replaced mine last year, and I used treated 2 by 4’s with the carpet I bought at Lowe’s, the carpet is made from recycled plastic, and I used the spray can glue, and picked up the new bolts that hold the boards to the trailer, I lunched my boat and tied it to the dock, pulled trailer up to parking lot, and replaced the boards, then loaded boat and finished job, I don’t remember the exact dollar amount, but the time was about an hour total, half hour to glue the carpet to the boards at home and dry over night, and about half hour or less to blot them to trailer at boat ramp. It’s so easy a Republican could do it.

or a Democrat
    Likes Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my trailer boards at the launch ramp parkin lot

Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post
    I replaced mine last year, and I used treated 2 by 4’s with the carpet I bought at Lowe’s, the carpet is made from recycled plastic, and I used the spray can glue, and picked up the new bolts that hold the boards to the trailer, I lunched my boat and tied it to the dock, pulled trailer up to parking lot, and replaced the boards, then loaded boat and finished job, I don’t remember the exact dollar amount, but the time was about an hour total, half hour to glue the carpet to the boards at home and dry over night, and about half hour or less to blot them to trailer at boat ramp. It’s so easy a Republican could do it.

or a Democrat
    I replaced the side bunks on my boat trailer. Howsclaw Trailer made in Evansville, IN back in the 1970's.

I did the same thing but I used a 12 volt to 115 V converter to power a air compressor and then used a pneumatic staple gun to put the marine carpet on the new boards. A portable drill to drill the new holes in the wood and then installed the new boards on the trailer while the boat was offloaded and parked along the shoreline near the ramp. Took me a while to setup and do the job. I used regular two by four wood.

Note: Treated wood is treated with arsenic compounds to keep insects at bay. I suggest using a water proofing liquid and brushing it onto the wood at home to water proof the wood. Or if you buy the wood make sure that when you ask for treated wood that you tell the salesman you man water proofing treatment on the wood not insect treatment. Maybe you can buy the insect treated type wood and then coat it with some Thompson's water proofing stuff. You want to keep the wood from rotting over time so that's why I water proofed it.

I got the marine carpet at Home Depot. Just used indoor/outdoor carpet.

For the bottom boards that the boat sits on I used some 12ft long 2x4's on Edge and put carpet on the top edge that the boat sits on. But the carpet was adding too much friction between the bottom of the boat and the carpet. So I added some plastic to the top of the board and now the boat slides off real easy. You can buy the plastic pads at Bass Pro Shop and screw them onto the top of the board ever 6 to 12".

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/e-z-slide-trailer-pads

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog101 View Post

or a Democrat
    Hahahahaha, not that is funny..........

Not necessary though.

BTW, I've changed my bunks on nearly every boat I've owned. They will only last prob 10 years or so. The last ones I replaced, the boards were fine, but the carpet was warn.

I too purchased the carpet from Lowes, and it was amazing how much "cheaper" it was then buying bunk or marine carpet from a marine place. Literally 10-12x cheaper.

The Wood I used........I used normal 2 x 4's and treated them myself. Pre drilled the holes and treated those with water seal, and put 2-3 coats of water seal on the tops and edges of the runners. Done this every time.

I do end up putting holes in each board when I staple the carpet down, but those staples are mostly on the side, and the water really runs down the runner, down the sides and drips off.

Have Fun......

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Use pressure treated lumber precut and drill then paint it to seal the board then nothing can leak out or use teak that would be big bucks cedar is a good exterior wood so is fur but cedar and fur are soft

Post Thanks / Like
    On December 31, 2003, the U.S. wood treatment industry stopped treating residential lumber with arsenic and chromium (chromated copper arsenate, or CCA).
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah forgot to tell you if your trailer is aluminum it will not be a good idea treated lumber eats aluminum

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought ultimate bunk boards www.ultimatebunkboards.com I didn't carpet mine just installed as is

Post Thanks / Like

Changed my pontoon bunks this spring.

They were 9 years old. I went to Lowe's and bought 2x6's because the pontoon sets on the big side in a V shape. I wanted more bunk to hit when loading the tub. Bought my carpet on Ebay for half what I saw everywhere else. It is designed to get wet. Water should drip dry soon after unloading or loading. I used exterior carpet glue and also stapled the carpet to insure it stuck good when glue dried.

I don't think Bass Pro used weather treated wood. I bought my boat/trailer at age 8 and the bunks were so rotten I was surprised. I never saw the trailer without the boat on it until I rented a slip. I was lucky the boat didn't fall off in the middle of the road somewhere. The strap wasn't very good either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Forget the carpet. Get bunk slides. Once you do it, you’ll never go back.
    Likes GeoFisher, Moveon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pintail311 View Post
    Forget the carpet. Get bunk slides. Once you do it, you’ll never go back.
    Bunk Slides are awesome..........if you don't fish in the winter . Big no no in icy conditions. I personally like my boat freezing a little to the bunks when I pull it out.....that way, when I put it in the next day, it definitely is not slipping off the trailer onto the ramp.

Yea, I've seen that happen a few times.......actually, QUITE a few times.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Bunk Slides are awesome..........if you don't fish in the winter . Big no no in icy conditions. I personally like my boat freezing a little to the bunks when I pull it out.....that way, when I put it in the next day, it definitely is not slipping off the trailer onto the ramp.

Yea, I've seen that happen a few times.......actually, QUITE a few times.

Later,

Geo
    I duck hunt so I can’t have boats frozen to the trailer, bunk slides are made for icy conditions.. If you lock your winch and crank it down, not a problem. The ease of cranking the boat up is a plus as well.