Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 24 of 24
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Bellevue Kentucky
    Posts
    515
    Post Thanks / Like
    Feild and stream has a huge sale I agree with the pedals but I already have a boat I bought the feild and stream eagle tallon it's a barge tons of room you are not going anywhere fast I bought one because I have a travel trailer and sometimes we camp a few hours away not worth driving two vehicles I tried it out Sunday I stayed fairly dry but I plugged up the scubbard holes under the seat left the ones open by your feet if I had the money I would have bought one I can stand up in heard a lot of good about bass pro ascends I just my two cents worth

  2. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    11,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nucanoe also has some decent products and they are not as costly as the Hobie. I have a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 and its a nice yak but not as advanced as the newer models with large elevated seats that swivel. Being able to stand-up and stretch the muscles would be a good thing!

  3. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    BG
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I actually went with a Perception Pescador Pro 12.0. Dunhamís is having a huge sale and I saved about $140. Planning on hitting the water tomorrow and will post a follow up. I realize itís not the best, but all of the positive reviews make it seem well worth it. Weighing in at 64lbs and having molded in handles, the kayak can easily be picked up by myself which is exactly what I was looking for to haul in my truck.
    Likes MagikSmallie liked this post

  4. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    BG
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had an early start this morning and was sitting on a small lake in KY at 5AM cst! The yak is going to take some getting used to, but it was so easy to load and get set up in.
    I have to get a few foam golf balls for plugs since I didn't like the little amount of water in the bottom. The water was very calm and positioning was cake for my first trip. Hopefully there's a little wind next time so I can get used to different conditions.

    A few things that need to be worked on:
    1. Paddling without getting water everywhere (Might not be possible, but I would hate to fish colder water)
    2. Using the restroom (Went to the bank and also used a bottle) LOL
    3. Kayak storage layout (A lot of stuff ended up between my legs because of the easy access)

    I managed to catch 12-15 this morning and got off the water right at 11AM. I'll call it a success! Happy 4th everyone!
    http://i68.tinypic.com/3446nwx.jpg

    http://i67.tinypic.com/4c4g.jpg
    Likes kstonich liked this post

  5. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    Had an early start this morning and was sitting on a small lake in KY at 5AM cst! The yak is going to take some getting used to, but it was so easy to load and get set up in.
    I have to get a few foam golf balls for plugs since I didn't like the little amount of water in the bottom. The water was very calm and positioning was cake for my first trip. Hopefully there's a little wind next time so I can get used to different conditions.

    A few things that need to be worked on:
    1. Paddling without getting water everywhere (Might not be possible, but I would hate to fish colder water)
    2. Using the restroom (Went to the bank and also used a bottle) LOL
    3. Kayak storage layout (A lot of stuff ended up between my legs because of the easy access)

    I managed to catch 12-15 this morning and got off the water right at 11AM. I'll call it a success! Happy 4th everyone!
    http://i68.tinypic.com/3446nwx.jpg

    http://i67.tinypic.com/4c4g.jpg
    Nice job! Thanks for sharing

    1. You may want to consider a little longer paddle if you continue to have water issues from paddle.
    2. I think every kayak uses the shore at times LOL
    3. Do you have a hatch anywhere between your feet? If so you can store some things in a dry bag inside it but if so tie it off so it doesn't slide away from your reach. Any space under the seat? If yes then a small flat plastic lure container might fit under it. Some tools will often fit nicely on the sides of the seat.

    Enjoy, kayak fishing is a lot of fun.

    Also just have to ask? Are you certain that is 12'? I'm probably wrong and it's hard to really tell for sure but in that picture it looks a little like a 10' and just wanted you to be sure they gave you what you paid for.

  6. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    BG
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SLP View Post
    Nice job! Thanks for sharing

    1. You may want to consider a little longer paddle if you continue to have water issues from paddle.
    2. I think every kayak uses the shore at times LOL
    3. Do you have a hatch anywhere between your feet? If so you can store some things in a dry bag inside it but if so tie it off so it doesn't slide away from your reach. Any space under the seat? If yes then a small flat plastic lure container might fit under it. Some tools will often fit nicely on the sides of the seat.

    Enjoy, kayak fishing is a lot of fun.

    Also just have to ask? Are you certain that is 12'? I'm probably wrong and it's hard to really tell for sure but in that picture it looks a little like a 10' and just wanted you to be sure they gave you what you paid for.
    Thanks, SLP. It is the Pescador Pro 120 and measures right at 12'. I have a 230cm Carlisle Magic Plus paddle so there is definitely a possibility of needing longer since I'm 6'2" and the kayak is 32.5" wide. I was in a bind when I bought it because I needed one for today and it was on sale. Might have do that when late fall rolls around.

    I have a hatch directly behind the seat. It isn't the most user friendly, but it could be a possibility as well. I do have a place for a box under my seat. Once I figure out what I actually need, hopefully I will be more organized. How do most people get to the bow tank well?

  7. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you ever do go shopping for another paddle I would recommend this one. It has a notch in one of the handles so it can also be used to retrieve snagged lures. I was skeptical whether it would work when I first got it but it works great! It has saved me a lot of money retrieving lures that were snagged on something under the surface and would have been lost otherwise. Even if I'm not on the kayak and using my regular boat I now always take that paddle along because it works so well as a lure retriever.

    https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/8797...n%20Camouflage

    As far as storing things up front in the bow I don't. If I were taking it on a camping trip I think I would store stuff down in the bow hatch but for fishing I want things within arms length or not at all. Obviously it is all just a personal preference and about just finding what works for you.

    Good luck with your new "toy"

  8. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    .
    Posts
    1,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    How wet do you get when using a sit on top? I've always wondered that. I'm thinking about a Yak too, but coming from a canoeing background, I always assumed I'd get a sit inside.........convince me .

    Later,

    Geo
    Most of the water comes from stuff coming off the paddle, unless you do something really stupid and flip over. Have used both sit in and sit on top. When I finally bought one it was sit on top. Easier to modify (add rod holders, depth finder, etc) and easier to fish from. I also find the sit on top ones to have more room to store stuff and easier to reach stuff when you are fishing. Try both out and see what works for you. Nothing like spending a few hours in one to figure out if you like it or not, or what you might do it it to set it up for your purposes.

    I ended up getting an Ocean Kayak Caper (11 foot) about 10 years ago. Got the wife a similar sized Wilderness Systems one a few years back. Think I like the wife's better. A bit more roomy. Have had mine out on a number of smaller lakes (and some not so small ones), rivers, creeks, and even the Atlantic Ocean in New England. Great for getting you into areas that are hard to fish from a boat. Also easy enough to transport, load and unload solo (easier than a canoe). Caught a bunch of smallies and LM from mine along with a few hybrids and stripers (best went 35#, fastest that yak has ever moved!). Have tried out a friends peddle version (Hobie). Certainly good for some situations (we were ocean fishing). For most of what I use my yak for, the peddle would not be optimal due to shallow water or structure that is not deep.

  9. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    burkesville, state park marina
    Posts
    735
    Post Thanks / Like

    Great info

    Great responses guys, going to have to find a pedal fishing yak
    Keep me in mind when any of u get ready to up grade.
    Geo I ll look forward to what u decide on
    I do zero research an trust these forums for advice

  10. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Great advice

    This thread is a wealth of knowledge. So I am going to throw a curveball.

    Any recommendations for my 7 year old? Heís over 4ft tall and with how heís growing I wouldnít want to be tying too much $$$ in it. My concern is I donít want to get something thatís too much boat for him.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

  11. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,002
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasonfishin View Post
    This thread is a wealth of knowledge. So I am going to throw a curveball.

    Any recommendations for my 7 year old? Heís over 4ft tall and with how heís growing I wouldnít want to be tying too much $$$ in it. My concern is I donít want to get something thatís too much boat for him.
    I got my son and daughter a Future Beach Mariner 10.4 Angler at Dunhamís. Not sure if they still make the same model because brands are always updating but I watched for Dunhamís to run a sale and these I think were normally about $350 and I got them for $199. They had built in rod holders, front and rear hatches, battle holder, bungees, adjustable foot braces, and about a 300lb capacity. They have been great for the price and perfect for them. My son has since grown taller than me and still uses it with no problems, even got my wife same model but not the angler version for $189 and she loves it. Sturdy little kayaks that are perfect for children at just shy of 10í4Ē but still large enough for an adult.

    So if you keep checking Dunhamís web site they run a lot of sales but ever now and then you can really find a bargain like that one. And I would recommend the Future Beach kayak as a great value for a ďcheaperĒ choice if youíre not sure about investing too much into one.

  12. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    BG
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Dunhams. They have a lot of stuff in store that isn't online, as well. You can get 20% off if it isn't a Perception. I'm really new to it, but I wouldn't get anything over 10' for him. Tracking would be the most important because he would likely get upset if he couldn't keep up. I also wouldn't worry much about comfortability because when you are young you are invincible. Haha

Similar Threads

  1. Article: Beach Haven Fishing Options
    By Jim Hutchinson Sr. in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-05-2017, 03:05 PM
  2. Article: Two Good Options for Early Summer Fishing
    By Lee McClellan in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2017, 01:33 PM
  3. Article: Options for Fishing Heavy Grass
    By Mike Gerry in forum Guide Reports and Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
  4. Kayak Angler Tournament Network and Kayak Angler Magazine: Bluegrass Yakmasters
    By MagikSmallie in forum Kayak, Canoe and Other Paddling Fishing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2013, 08:44 AM
  5. SW Kentucky Area Fishing Options??
    By GreggD in forum Kentucky Discussion Board
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •