Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Kayak Options

I am looking into buying a fishing kayak and hoped to get some different opinions on what is needed. A little about me. I am 6’2”, 180lbs and stay relatively active through work. My primary uses would be medium sized lakes (Barren, Nolin, Rough) and small rivers. I’ve never actually kayaked, but have been in canoes, boats, and around the water all my life.

I’m worried that a 10’ kayak would be too small, but a good friend says it should be fine. I think I’ve settled on a sit-on, but now choosing a brand/model has me stumped. They all seem to do certain things well. Does anyone have any experience? I’d like to spend anywhere from $300-$1000.

Currently looking at this one:
    https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pel...ildCatid=50985

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 5-11 and have a 10 foot sit-on-top kayak (perception pescador pro). You may be at the upper limit of leg room in a 10 footer. See if you can sit in it, or at least measure.

Ask yourself how you will transport and store the kayak and how far do you plan to paddle? I have a 10ft because I load on top of a SUV and store the kayak in my basement. If you have a garage and a pick up truck, that would favor a 12ft. On the big lakes, you will prefer the 12 ft...they are faster and track better. Speed isn't a big concern with kayaks except when you are trying to cross a busy lake or beat a storm. Small streams may favor the 10 ft. If you plan to paddle 2 miles or more to fish, a 12 ft would be nice.

Do not underestimate seat comfort! After 4 hours or more in a kayak you will want to be able to walk! I have owned crappy-seat kayaks and good seats make a lot of difference.

At 6-2, you will likely not be able to stand in a 10 ft kayak. Standing isn't necessary, but it may be a consideration for you.

Good luck and have fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll jump in here. kayak fishing is my thing! First my biggest suggestion to anyone wanting a kayak is to demo as many different models and brands as you possibly can. Everyone has an opinion on the "best". It's like Ford vs Chevy and everyone has their own personal preference.

The one absolute I would throw out there is a sit on top over a sit inside, you definitely want a sit on top!!

Next, If you plan on fishing lakes I would highly recommend a pedal drive of some sort, this will add to the cost of the kayak and it will ultimately depend on your budget. The pedal drive allows you to cover much more water, quicker and hands free so you can fish without needing to paddle to control your boat. Nothing to me is more aggravating than trying to fish in the wind and having to constantly set your rod down to keep your kayak in position. For this reason I have gone with a pedal drive kayak.

My personal preference when it comes to a pedal drive is the Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks, they are on the upper end of the price spectrum but you, in my opinion, get what you pay for. Canoe KY has some other brands that I would recommend you try. If you are in the Lexington area I can get with you if you'd like to demo a Hobie. I also recommend the guys at Strictly Sail Inc in Cincinnati if you go the Hobie route, I can help you with delivery of the boat.

Again, my biggest advice is to demo and try as many different models and brands as you can until you find what fits your needs the best.

If you have any questions or want to learn more please just let me know

jwallen84@gmail.com
    www.jaywallenfishing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post
    I'll jump in here. kayak fishing is my thing! First my biggest suggestion to anyone wanting a kayak is to demo as many different models and brands as you possibly can. Everyone has an opinion on the "best". It's like Ford vs Chevy and everyone has their own personal preference.

The one absolute I would throw out there is a sit on top over a sit inside, you definitely want a sit on top!!

Next, If you plan on fishing lakes I would highly recommend a pedal drive of some sort, this will add to the cost of the kayak and it will ultimately depend on your budget. The pedal drive allows you to cover much more water, quicker and hands free so you can fish without needing to paddle to control your boat. Nothing to me is more aggravating than trying to fish in the wind and having to constantly set your rod down to keep your kayak in position. For this reason I have gone with a pedal drive kayak.

My personal preference when it comes to a pedal drive is the Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks, they are on the upper end of the price spectrum but you, in my opinion, get what you pay for. Canoe KY has some other brands that I would recommend you try. If you are in the Lexington area I can get with you if you'd like to demo a Hobie. I also recommend the guys at Strictly Sail Inc in Cincinnati if you go the Hobie route, I can help you with delivery of the boat.

Again, my biggest advice is to demo and try as many different models and brands as you can until you find what fits your needs the best.

jwallen84@gmail.com
    www.jaywallenfishing.com
    How wet do you get when using a sit on top? I've always wondered that. I'm thinking about a Yak too, but coming from a canoeing background, I always assumed I'd get a sit inside.........convince me .

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    How wet do you get when using a sit on top? I've always wondered that. I'm thinking about a Yak too, but coming from a canoeing background, I always assumed I'd get a sit inside.........convince me .

Later,

Geo
    In my experience being in a Hobie Pro Angler 14, the seat sits up high enough that I never get wet unless it rains. The seats in the newer kayaks are elevated off the floor so getting wet virtually never happens in almost any sit on top fishing kayak. I can take you out sometime and let you try it for yourself, anytime you'd like! The sit-inside kayaks on the other hand do not drain water so any water that enters the kayak will stay and since you are sitting inside of it you will most likely get wet with a sit-inside.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out this photo of the seat in a Hobie pro Angler and you'll see what I mean, its so high off the floor you really never have to worry about getting wet, most all other fishing kayaks are also designed this way. I'll add that I have spent as many 15 hours straight in the kayak and never felt uncomfortable, the seats they are putting in these kayaks are very very comfortable!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maxresdefault.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	17019  

Post Thanks / Like
    As much as I would love to have a Hobie, I can't seem to justify the extra expense. I will likely only use it 15-20 times a year depending on my work schedule.

Post Thanks / Like

Jackson Cuda 12

Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    As much as I would love to have a Hobie, I can't seem to justify the extra expense. I will likely only use it 15-20 times a year depending on my work schedule.
    King31 --- I have a Jackson Cuda 12 I bought a year ago , it has new depth finder, anchor system, paddle, crate in back , used it twice on small lake got over $1600 in it I'll sell you for $1100 it's in absolute perfect condition
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a couple of Wilderness Systems I really like. They are both sit on top and I would agree that is the way to go for a fishing kayak. As far as length one of them is 11.5’ and I really like that length. Plus it is fairly wide and stable, more that enough room and I am heavier than you. My problem is I have serious back and neck issues so have a lot of pain and the wieght is more than I can handle unless I have someone to load/unload for me. So I also got a lighter 10’ I will more often use. I still like it a lot but do miss the leg room and space of the larger one at times. If you don’t have any physical limitations I would recommend larger than ten for that reason alone. I think I go from 80 to 50 lbs when I use the 10’ so it is easier to get into the water.

With my physical limits I don’t go out all day and I haven’t entered any tournaments so I can’t speak to the advantages a peddle drive gives you in those cases but for myself, I really enjoy paddling. For me that is all part of it and what I enjoy. Maybe it’s also because I used to go canoeing as a boy but I feel at home with a paddle in my hand and enjoy it.

I agree that if you can test drive some that is ideal. I wasn’t able too so my first one I bought from LL Bean because they have a 100% return policy if you are not happy with your purchase. I got the WS Ride115x angler and other that the weight for when alone loved it, still use it. I Liked the WS so much went with a Tarpon100 for my smaller one.

But there are so many options you can probably find a lot of brand and models you would like.

Besides the obvious things like comfort, things worth looking for imo is easy reachable storage and a built in track system to where you can easily slide into it accessories you may decide to add.

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King31 View Post
    Just do it... you know you’ve got the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MagikSmallie View Post

jwallen84@gmail.com
    www.jaywallenfishing.com
    I saw the name Jay Wallen at the bottom of your reply and thought it sounded familiar. I had set my DVR to record some fishing shows over the weekend and one I recorded was the episode where you won the Kobie Open on KY Lake. I just watched the episode last night... Congrats on your win.

Post Thanks / Like
    for the money, the perception pescador would be a good choice ~$500.
    you might also want to check out the new jackson cruise at ~$899.
    there's lots of choices out there and if you have time check out an outfitter in your area. Most will have demo days where you can try out a few once it gets warm.
    I'm not a big fan of what gets sold at the big box stores.