Search Fishin.com

Thread: New to the area

Post Thanks / Like

New to the area

I'm new to the area and would love to learn all the great spots to fish around here if someone could lead me in the right direction. I've been to fisherman's park and have caught some decent catfish there and it is quiet which is definitely a plus. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would help to know were your at.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wormin View Post
    It would help to know were your at.
    Probably somewhere in the greater Louisville/E-town area, if that's the Fisherman's Park he's talking about.

It would also help to know if he has a boat or not, and what particular specie/species he's interested in catching.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristinrogers1989 View Post
    I'm new to the area and would love to learn all the great spots to fish around here if someone could lead me in the right direction. I've been to fisherman's park and have caught some decent catfish there and it is quiet which is definitely a plus. If anyone has any recommendations please let me know.
    If you're in the Louisville area and conditions allow it's hard to beat The Falls of the Ohio in Clarksville. Easy access and there's usually something that's willing to bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_eIsl8h7pQ
    Likes GeoFisher, Wormin, roadrunner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetwater View Post
    If you're in the Louisville area and conditions allow it's hard to beat The Falls of the Ohio in Clarksville. Easy access and there's usually something that's willing to bite.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_eIsl8h7pQ
    Man, I've not done that in years.......

that is way, way cool. I might have to get my portable stuff together and go down there.........Neat.

Post Thanks / Like
    if your into catfish there is a lighted slab of concrete on the waterfront of the Ohio River on the Louisville side where you can cast right at the piling of the Big Four Bridge (look on google maps you will see it). My brother and I have had great success there running bottom rigs with a 2-4 oz lead and circle hooks with cut bluegill. My brother caught a real nice flathead a few weeks back.

https://i.imgur.com/Q3u1bQw.jpg

Long Run Park has a decent bass bite from the bank, even better if you have a kayak. Frogs, spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, and weighted texas rig Strike King rage craws and havoc craw fatty's are productive.

If you catch it at the right time the tailwaters at Taylorville Lake can be dynamite for Largemouth bass, spotted bass, Crappie, and Hybrid Striped Bass. Main lake has a good population of Largemouth but typically not huge fish.

Fisherman's Lake at Beckley Creek Park can be a decent bank fishing day, and Long Run is close if the bite isn't on.

In the warmer months a wacky rigged senko in green pumpkin, or june bug or a black and blue chatterbait does wonders at Mcneely Lake. Good bank access, and plenty of Largemouth in the 2-3 pound range.

Hope this helps, tight lines!
    -Jeff
    Last edited by JBake502; 07-18-2018 at 02:07 AM.