Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Any Corydon Area Anglers? (Harrison County, SE IN)

I am relatively new to fishing and right now I have been mostly buying gear, tackle, and scouting areas around Corydon.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience fishing in the Blue River or Big Indian Creek which are the main bodies of water running through the Corydon (Harrison County) area.

While scouting I've run into a few fisherman on the creek and they report decent small mouth and pan fishing (including cats, drum, and gar). It seems to be knee to waist deep which is fine for me since I have no boat (YET!). The Blue River seems to be tricky to access along Hwy 62 with somewhat steep banks leading down to it from the pull offs available. Some of the best access seems to be off of private property so I may have to go introduce myself and hope for the best.

I went over to the Wyandotte Wetlands and caught my first Bass. It apparently used to be a nice body of water until the dam failed and looks pretty marshy and shallow now. I've not walked the complete shoreline yet due to thick vegetation.

The Ohio river is also an option and I've found some nice spots to fish from but it's a bit intimidating and seems a beast that requires a learning curve.

Attached is a photo of my modest Bass, the Wetlands, and a Blue River access I found.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36534042_1997443556953010_6993730891457495040_n.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	17131   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36542629_1997443730286326_5270787512078434304_n.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	109.2 KB 
ID:	17132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	36526490_1997443230286376_1223795113600221184_n.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	17130  

Post Thanks / Like
    This site hasn't been very active for a while so I doubt you'll get much feedback. Unless you are an out-of-shape slob, steep banks are good because negotiating them is fantastic exercise, and difficult-to-access stretches get a lot less fishing pressure because most people are lazy or too out-of-shape to even think about it.

I've fished the Blue a bit, not enough to be any help on it specifically. My advice is to read a GOOD book on stream fishing (get several and don't waste time on the ones that are obviously written by morons). You may have a hard time telling which are good and which aren't because of lack of experience so you may have to waste time reading some pretty bad stuff. But that's part of the process. Fishing is a fantastic learning experience and if it's all just handed to you it's not as much fun. I can tell you the most common mistake of beginners is not realizing that fish are spooky and touchy. On a small creek, stealth is vital. Muddy water and cold water make it less vital though. Normal temps and reasonably clear water require you to pretty much stalk the fish. And beginners usually rig way too heavy. Use the lightest sinker you can if you are bait fishing. Don't oversize your line either.

Keys to success - fish where there are some desirable fish. Don't let the fish know you are there. Present a bait or lure to the fish in such a way that he is apt to bite. That's it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CorydonAngler View Post
    I am relatively new to fishing and right now I have been mostly buying gear, tackle, and scouting areas around Corydon.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience fishing in the Blue River or Big Indian Creek which are the main bodies of water running through the Corydon (Harrison County) area.

While scouting I've run into a few fisherman on the creek and they report decent small mouth and pan fishing (including cats, drum, and gar). It seems to be knee to waist deep which is fine for me since I have no boat (YET!). The Blue River seems to be tricky to access along Hwy 62 with somewhat steep banks leading down to it from the pull offs available. Some of the best access seems to be off of private property so I may have to go introduce myself and hope for the best.

I went over to the Wyandotte Wetlands and caught my first Bass. It apparently used to be a nice body of water until the dam failed and looks pretty marshy and shallow now. I've not walked the complete shoreline yet due to thick vegetation.

The Ohio river is also an option and I've found some nice spots to fish from but it's a bit intimidating and seems a beast that requires a learning curve.

Attached is a photo of my modest Bass, the Wetlands, and a Blue River access I found.
    Rent a canoe in Milltown, or borrow one or a Yak........

Fish above and below every single deep hole, until you find which ones are good. NOTE where you're at, and look for access afterwards using google maps.

I've not done the blue in years..........already decades . But there are definite options there.

Later,

Geo