Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for a trout trip

I have been kicking around the idea of going on a weekend trout trip sometime in late summer or early fall. Are there any places to fish (Beside below Wolf Creek dam) where I could camp and fish for trout in a stream or small river? I live in Western KY, so it's going to be a drive for me to visit the Eastern part of the state, where I assume I'm going to have to go to find some trout.

I would like to be able to leave out on a Friday after work, drive 3-5 hours to a fishing spot, then camp and begin fishing on Saturday morning, and return on Sunday. Just a relaxing trip catching some trout and camping out.

I have done a trip like this on some tributaries of the Hiwassee River in Tennessee, and had a great time. So I was wanting to try to find a similar spot for a trip like this in Kentucky, a little closer to home.

If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rock Creek in McCreary county comes to mind automatically. Have caught them in the tailwaters of Carr creek further east in Ky in the past but not sure of the stocking. Should be able to jump online on KDFWR and find what streams they stock in Ky and plan a trip accordingly. Surely they stock one near that part of the state somewhere.
    Likes Rudypoo4444 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by luvtohunt View Post
    Rock Creek in McCreary county comes to mind automatically. Have caught them in the tailwaters of Carr creek further east in Ky in the past but not sure of the stocking. Should be able to jump online on KDFWR and find what streams they stock in Ky and plan a trip accordingly. Surely they stock one near that part of the state somewhere.
    Do you know the stocking site or closest town to Rock Creek? I am on the KDFWR website now, but it doesn't give you an exact location.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure where they stock them but I guess either Whitley city or Stearns would be the closest towns.

Post Thanks / Like

opposed to Cumberland?

If not, check out www.cumberlanddrifters.com. He does fly-fishing guided trips on Cumberland River.

Good luck,
    RJP