Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Bluegill/Redear bite on Barkley or Ky?

I'm completely out of fish, I need to go catch a few messes. Are the redear and bluegill biting on the Twin lakes?? I'm sure they're in 15-25ft of water.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by redearhoosier View Post
    I'm completely out of fish, I need to go catch a few messes. Are the redear and bluegill biting on the Twin lakes?? I'm sure they're in 15-25ft of water.
    Don’t know about the lakes you asked about, but they have been biting good on Cumberland, I keep 32 today that was the size of my hand, and threw back about that many, didn’t count the throw backs, but it seamed like about as many as I kept, I was fishing with two friends and they caught about as many as I did, they put theirs in a cooler with ice as they caught them, I dropped mine in live well until finished fishing, and counted mine as I put them in the ice cooler, didn’t count them all but close to a hundred good size ones, and kept about that many for the past two Wednesday’s seen one pleasure boat and one jet boat today. Sure is nice to be retired. We fished bluff walls in about 30’ of water, the smaller fish grabbed it as soon as we cast to the wall, and if the bait dropped to around 8’ before a small one got it, then we caught a better fish, lots of fun on ultralight tackle.
    Likes kstonich liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What’s a good artificial bait for bluegill/redear? Or are you guys using live bait?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshunter82 View Post
    What’s a good artificial bait for bluegill/redear? Or are you guys using live bait?
    Use ultralight spinning reel, spooled with 2 lb line. So you can cast very small jigs. Little 1/32 oz black hair jig, little white 1/32 oz roadrunner jig, with 1.5’’ slider paddle tal grub, or curly tail, junebug/chart color, cast to the cliff and crank it very slow as it sinks, just fast enough to keep the slack out of your line and so the little blade on the jig will spin, it don’t take much speed, so go slow and watch your line if you see it the line move just a little to either side, just lift your rod a little and many times you will have a fish before you even feel it through the rod, just like catching crappie when they are biting really lite, and if you don’t want to spend 3 or 4 hours catching 30 good eating size, then take you some crickets and you should be able to do it in half the time. Sunshine makes fishing hotter on the fisherman, but the bluegill bite best when the sun is bright, good luck