Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland fishing / camping trip 8/2-8/7

Wanted to provide a report from a recent family trip. Fished from sun up till about 9:30 or 10 am this past Fri-Sun.
    Focused on water in the vicinity of the dam.Water temp in the morning was 82/83 and crept up to 86/87 as the day progressed. Fished shiners on down lines, boards and balloons. Varied depth from 25 ft to 65 ft.
    Fishing for us was very slow all three days. Managed to catch one 20" striper and a five pound channel. Both fish we picked up were in the 40ft range. Missed a few short bites.
    Fished main lake points, flats, and also spent a good bit of time focusing on main channel areas. Marked very little bait all three days. I was also surprised that we did not pick up any smallies or spots as we usually catch a good number of both when trolling.

I will be back in a few weeks without the family so I will be spending much more time on the water.

Anybody else having any luck?

FYI--We camped at Kendall and ran into some thieves. We had a GoPro camera stolen from our site and a woman in different site had her purse stolen. I love the campsite and have not had any issues in the past but wanted to make it known that some scum bags were prowling the campsites this past weekend.

Good luck to all!
    Likes fishincreek, Wormin, PRO V LE, jlperk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the report! Sorry to hear about the go pro.
    Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Fished this morning in heavy downpour.

I started this morning right at the mouth of beaver and didn’t do very well. I got into some small largemouth that were in the jumpsuit and caught a couple with a jerk bait. Picked up and moved to the opposite side and found some bait, But the wind in the rain made it really tough to fish. I saw another boat catch a striper, most of the bait that I was saying was around 40 foot. I was fishing with shiners as well

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob1678 View Post
    I started this morning right at the mouth of beaver and didn’t do very well. I got into some small largemouth that were in the jumpsuit and caught a couple with a jerk bait. Picked up and moved to the opposite side and found some bait, But the wind in the rain made it really tough to fish. I saw another boat catch a striper, most of the bait that I was saying was around 40 foot. I was fishing with shiners as well
    Curious if others were camped close to you, those sites are so close,
    Those thieves must have done some staking your site out, as well as
    Others that could see em

I hate your luck. Hate it more the area is being targeted

C

Post Thanks / Like

Broken window

When I came back to the dam parking lot from camping on the lake there was a truck that had the rear window busted out. I left motor tote and ratchet straps in the bed with no issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    No telling if the theft came from campers or someone outside. Anyone can drive directly into the campsite after hours or park by the fish cleaning station and walk in. I have been thinking about ways to prevent this on future camp trips.

1. Set up battery powered motion lights all around the site
    2. chain up a nasty dog
    3. trip wire
    4. sit up all night and hope to catch someone ( followed by a well deserved beating)

I spoke to the Russell county Sheriff and he mentioned getting reports of two teenage boys walking the site, but said he could never track them down.

There is no such place as Mayberry anymore!

Post Thanks / Like
    Had my truck broke into at a hotel in Ashland couple weeks ago and stole two rods and a bag of tackle I use to fish the Cumberland river below the dam from time to time.
    My fault for leaving them but I have a hard shell, always locked with tinted windows. They ripped the tailgate down cracking part of the window. Cut another guys soft shell liner and took some stuff.
    This is at a Hampton Inn of all places. Can't leave anything in a vehicle anymore around the state it seems. Scared to hardly take by bass boat and park it at a hotel anymore like I used to when going to Kentucky Lake or somewhere farther from home.
    Blah, druggies no doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate you had the thieves visit you, and thanks for posting the area it happened in, so others can be cautious of the area, it seams there are thieves most everywhere, but there are some good folks out there, here is a true story that happened to my fishing friend, he was fishing in Alabama, had his daily medications in a small tackle box and left it sitting in the boat, and while towing the boat down the road it blew out, some guy found it and looked at the name on the meds and seen where he had the meds filled, called the pharmacy and gave them his name and number, the pharmacy called my friends home number and told his wife what had happened and gave her the guys number that found the tackle box with the meds it it, she called her husband and told him what had happen and gave him the guys number and he called the guy and met him there not far from where he had lost them, the guy returned his tackle box and his meds, wouldn’t take any pay for his time and trouble, just told my friend if he ever lost anything that he hoped someone would try and get it back to him, just thought i’d Share a little upbeat story, the world has a lot of bad people in it for sure, but I like to think that the good folks out number the bad. I’m an old man and I have watched this country change so much from when I was a boy, it’s really like a different place, most folks think the fix for most anything is a pill, I’m a firm believer in Prayer, there is more power in Prayer than there is in a pill, both will change your life, the pills will change it for the worse, it may help one thing a little and destroy something else, but if you Pray every day and try to live your life to please Jesus, you won’t be taking anything that don’t belong to you.
    Likes roadrunner, fishincreek, CaptObvious liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BassHawk78 View Post
    Wanted to provide a report from a recent family trip. Fished from sun up till about 9:30 or 10 am this past Fri-Sun.
    Focused on water in the vicinity of the dam.Water temp in the morning was 82/83 and crept up to 86/87 as the day progressed. Fished shiners on down lines, boards and balloons. Varied depth from 25 ft to 65 ft.
    Fishing for us was very slow all three days. Managed to catch one 20" striper and a five pound channel. Both fish we picked up were in the 40ft range. Missed a few short bites.
    Fished main lake points, flats, and also spent a good bit of time focusing on main channel areas. Marked very little bait all three days. I was also surprised that we did not pick up any smallies or spots as we usually catch a good number of both when trolling.

I will be back in a few weeks without the family so I will be spending much more time on the water.

Anybody else having any luck?

FYI--We camped at Kendall and ran into some thieves. We had a GoPro camera stolen from our site and a woman in different site had her purse stolen. I love the campsite and have not had any issues in the past but wanted to make it known that some scum bags were prowling the campsites this past weekend.

Good luck to all!
    I have been broken into once at Burnside then at Homesbend both were in daylight.Then one night while fishing out of Gwinns came around the bend and threw the Qbeam on the truck and two thug were trying to pry open the cargo cover. Did not have anything it. I learned after the first time never take any thing you want stolen with me.