Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Power reeling a spoon for stripers

Been watching guys on YouTube do it on Lanier. Looks fun as heck. Any thoughts on why it wouldn't work on lake Cumberland?

Post Thanks / Like
    It can be deadly on Cumberland stripers, if..... you can get them to stay put for a while. There are a lot of times in the fall where I use this type of thing combined with live bait to get fish turned on. The first thing I try is dropping through them and reeling up fast. If that doesn't do it, I'll drop it down and reel up slower but rip the spoon. You can usually get others to bite bait if you can get one turned on. The problem is getting them to stay put in the fall. By Fall I mean pretty much from here on out. They can be a little fickle at times when the water quality isn't up to par or it's changing fast. I don't use the large spoons but that isn't a reason they wouldn't work. The spoon I keep tied on I can cast a mile or jig. That's the only reason. Those large flutter spoons may work better than my slab spoon for this.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I should happen to stumble across a good school I am going to give it a shot. Might get lucky

Post Thanks / Like
    Now would be a great time to try it. Look for schools in pockets or on the inside points of pockets... They tend to stay put a little better. That's if you can't find one of the huge schools.

It's just me but I use a spinning rig and 40 pound power pro braid. I can get the spoon down there faster and it takes less work to move it. You get a lot of pops without hookups regardless. I think I get fewer misses using the braid. A quick wrist flip sets the hook and if I miss I didn't move the bait too far in case there is a followup hit.

Post Thanks / Like
    What weight do you like in a slab spoon?

Post Thanks / Like
    2 oz.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put a slight bend in it. Makes it "worfel" a little bit when you jig it up, spiral down when you drop it and helps it wobble when you pull it back after casting into a school. I will say, that with the size of the Alewife in Cumberland right now, those flutter spoons look mighty attractive. The slabs bullet right down under the fish instead of drifting back and forth like the flutters do which takes time. The less time it takes to get it under them, the more chances you have. Or that's my take on it. I'd gladly concede to someone (anyone) that does it more than me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you !!!!