Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland river trout at Burkesville?

I have had a coworker tell me twice that he puts his boat in a Burkesville when he fishes Cumberland river for trout, but he can never remember the name of the road that the boat ramp is on. Do any of you know where it is?

He also said that the water fluctuates less in that area, and it still holds large fish. Do any of you have any information about that area? He has since retired, or I would ask him myself.

I'm planning a trip in the next couple weeks, and I wondered if I should give this place a try, or just stick with launching at the dam and doing the usual 3-4 mile drift down.

If I do put in at Burkesville, should I drift down and fish, or run up river and float back down?

Thanks for any info you can give!

Post Thanks / Like
    If i remember right it is something like river street, i never look at the road signs i just turn here and turn there etc. it doesn't seem to matter if you go upstream or downstream, I've caught numbers and size both ways. upstream will take you through a very long riffle area that holds numbers, the log jams on either side holds size. downstream will take you through a few deeper pools and holds better size imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Google maps will probably show the street you're looking for

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stripernut1 View Post
    Google maps will probably show the street you're looking for

If the ramp in question is the one that is in downtown Burkesville then it's no more than a 2-3 hundred yards from the courthouse square. Turn off upper river street and go a couple hundred yards then you turn on bank street which is nothing more than a loop that goes around the parking lot and the ramp is right below the parking lot.

I know zero about the ramp or that section of the river. When my mother in law was alive and we took her to the doctor in Burkesville we would sometimes get lunch and drive down to the river and eat. About all I remember was the ramp was very close to the courthouse.
    Likes Rudypoo4444 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If i remember right it is something like river street, i never look at the road signs i just turn here and turn there etc. it doesn't seem to matter if you go upstream or downstream, I've caught numbers and size both ways. upstream will take you through a very long riffle area that holds numbers, the log jams on either side holds size. downstream will take you through a few deeper pools and holds better size imo.

Thank you! That is exactly the information I was looking for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post
    If the ramp in question is the one that is in downtown Burkesville then it's no more than a 2-3 hundred yards from the courthouse square. Turn off upper river street and go a couple hundred yards then you turn on bank street which is nothing more than a loop that goes around the parking lot and the ramp is right below the parking lot.

I know zero about the ramp or that section of the river. When my mother in law was alive and we took her to the doctor in Burkesville we would sometimes get lunch and drive down to the river and eat. About all I remember was the ramp was very close to the courthouse.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to look it up on Google maps.

Post Thanks / Like

Upper River rd?

Quote Originally Posted by Rudypoo4444 View Post
    I have had a coworker tell me twice that he puts his boat in a Burkesville when he fishes Cumberland river for trout, but he can never remember the name of the road that the boat ramp is on. Do any of you know where it is?

He also said that the water fluctuates less in that area, and it still holds large fish. Do any of you have any information about that area? He has since retired, or I would ask him myself.

I'm planning a trip in the next couple weeks, and I wondered if I should give this place a try, or just stick with launching at the dam and doing the usual 3-4 mile drift down.

If I do put in at Burkesville, should I drift down and fish, or run up river and float back down?

Thanks for any info you can give!
    I think is what you are looking for just wind down there past Dollar store keep the river on your right and you'll find it. Good ramp and parking. Fishing in Oct is good no matter where. I have a house 5 miles downstream. You probably won't see the numbers like you do in the first 15 miles but there are a lot fewer a-holes also. At my house 6 boats a day is a lot! Fishing is good even as far down as Cloyds Landing. Thats probably close to fifty miles from the dam. Not sure where you staying but I rent my place. Standard Roostertails, spoons, shad looking baits, Bl/gold countdowns, white or salmon colored jigs. Putins Bakerton is nice thats upstream from Burkesville pay the guy at the general store 5 bucks its beautiful there. Fish up or down. Burkesville up or down fish the high banks, gravel, jams etc. You can put in at Traces for 5 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by R19 View Post

Your description is spot on! Thank you! It is closer to my home too, so I think I'll give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gforcetrivers View Post
    I think is what you are looking for just wind down there past Dollar store keep the river on your right and you'll find it. Good ramp and parking. Fishing in Oct is good no matter where. I have a house 5 miles downstream. You probably won't see the numbers like you do in the first 15 miles but there are a lot fewer a-holes also. At my house 6 boats a day is a lot! Fishing is good even as far down as Cloyds Landing. Thats probably close to fifty miles from the dam. Not sure where you staying but I rent my place. Standard Roostertails, spoons, shad looking baits, Bl/gold countdowns, white or salmon colored jigs. Putins Bakerton is nice thats upstream from Burkesville pay the guy at the general store 5 bucks its beautiful there. Fish up or down. Burkesville up or down fish the high banks, gravel, jams etc. You can put in at Traces for 5 bucks.

This is great information! Thank you! I'm looking forward to checking the river at Burkesville out.

How is the river when they really start letting a lot of water out?

Post Thanks / Like
    the great thing about the river is it fishes good when the water is low, mid flow and high, I really like it when it's high for a few days. it also doesn't matter if you're at the dam, helms, Winfrey, burkesville....its just an outstanding fishery and is pretty bullet proof as far as location and flows go.
    I fished the river this morning and only managed 2 for the skillet, everything else was 18-20 inches and with the flow from the slice gates up at the dam they were a handful in that current on light tackle, so a great morning for sure. good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    the great thing about the river is it fishes good when the water is low, mid flow and high, I really like it when it's high for a few days. it also doesn't matter if you're at the dam, helms, Winfrey, burkesville....its just an outstanding fishery and is pretty bullet proof as far as location and flows go.
    I fished the river this morning and only managed 2 for the skillet, everything else was 18-20 inches and with the flow from the slice gates up at the dam they were a handful in that current on light tackle, so a great morning for sure. good luck
    "sluice" not "slice" lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting the info everybody. I keep meaning to get down there and do some fishin and this helps. Saved the link.