Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Almost screwed up

I use my debt card a lot, but do like to see a little green in the wallet. 2 days ago I went to get some folding money, and my banks ATM was out of order. Drove to main branch, and it was closed down, and gone.So I went to another of my banks ATM locations, and needed to wait while they serviced the machine. I waited and drew out more than I originaly planned. What would happen if I was in an area tht had a power outage? I keep noticing that more and more folks are going the cashless route, beware it dosn't always work.

Post Thanks / Like
    i'll never use a debit card.
    i always pay with cash in person and i carry a pocket knife.
    all real men do.

Post Thanks / Like

Never bring a knife to a gun fight!

Quote Originally Posted by dragmerc View Post
    i'll never use a debit card.
    i always pay with cash in person and i carry a pocket knife.
    all real men do.
    Once I was out of town in Southern Illinois and ran out of money. I was working and staying in a motel for the week and doing a job at a factory in the area. One the way home the company car needed gas and I didn't have any cash left after paying all the expenses. I had a debit card but not one on the teller cash machines accepted my card. We barely made it back home.

Now days I travel with a Visa credit card and the debit card. One of them should work. But I never have been back to Southern Illinois since that week.

And I carry my 9 mm with me every where I go when it's allowed.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Credit Cards

Its recommended to be used for all financial transactions because of the protections it provides. Debit cards are the "debil"

Post Thanks / Like

you can't beat cash

It works almost every where, was in a store and they said they would quit Visa because of the surcharges involved with it. Using a phone ap to buy a softdrink and a bag of chips, is stupid. We were at a resterant and I picked up the tab, when i mentioned some one should pay the tip, one said they don't use cash, and the other guy had only large bills..So the meal cost me another 10 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kygorski View Post
    It works almost every where, was in a store and they said they would quit Visa because of the surcharges involved with it. Using a phone ap to buy a softdrink and a bag of chips, is stupid. We were at a resterant and I picked up the tab, when i mentioned some one should pay the tip, one said they don't use cash, and the other guy had only large bills..So the meal cost me another 10 bucks.
    I agree I’m just saying that a credit card is safer than a debit card. I take out chunks of cash for trips and weekly allowances. Any large purchases are done by credit card.
    Likes dragmerc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you use a debit card see if your bank offers instant texting alert. My bank has this service and it is free. Anytime I run my card credit or debit I get a text within a couple minutes. Every once in a while it might take 5-10 minutes but most of the time it's more like 2-3 minutes. The text does not contain personal information. A text looks something like this...card ending XXXX was processed for $23.99. In the event I get a text and I did not use my card there is a 1-800# I can call 24-7 and shut down the card. If it's during regular banking hours all I have to do is call the bank and have them block the charge.

I found this service out after my card number got stolen. I was going to make an online order at DOMO.com but I had a question so I called. While on the phone I made my order. A couple days later I had two charges from the same town in Illinois where I had ordered my oil. I called them and they said they can assure me my banking information was confidential. I have never been to Illinois and I thought it was just too much of a coincidence so I done some digging. The person who used my card made an online order to Bath and Body. My wife has made online orders in the past so we have an account. I called them and they said all they could tell me was my name was on the order. If I wanted the address I could file a police report. So I filed one and got the address. I then called DOMO and ask if they remember me calling them a few days ago and their reply was yes. I said see if you have an employee with X address. A few hours later they called me back and said yes they in fact had an employee with that address and they had just fired them. Apparently they owned up to stealing my number.

It just so happen I found this while doing some online banking the next day after the charges were made. If I would of had instant texting at the time I would have instantly known. My bank cancelled the Bath and Body transaction so the thief never received that order. They did manage to get a free meal at Panera Bread but my bank reimburse me my money. Having instant text is a good thing to do if your bank offers the service.
    Likes DJD liked this post