Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Fish finder for Kayak?

Who uses a fish finder? I have been kayak fishing for around 7-8 years now and have never felt the need to get a fish finder. I have always stuck to smaller lakes (sub 200 acres) and just go and cast along the shore line. I am picking up a new kayak and it comes with a Hummingbird Helix 5 Chirp GPS and am debating on selling it or keeping it. I was just at a large lake (Herrington) this past weekend and there was a tournament going on. I noticed all these high end bass boats with their high end fish finders were doing the exact same thing as me, tolling along the shore, casting into the shore. Would I get benefit out of a fish finder?
    Last edited by robertdilbert; 09-24-2018 at 01:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion, a fishfinder would definitely help. I have been looking to buy one since I bought my first kayak in July, but haven't pulled the trigger on one just yet. Between the Helix 5, Lowrance Hook 5, and Garmin Striker I think they all have advantages. If I could justify the cost I would definitely get one with side imaging, which would be extremely beneficial for a kayak. I tend to pick apart areas, since its slower fishing, and if I know what is below the surface it could only help. Just my 2 cents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone tried the Deeper Pro+ model that can be cast out for sonar signal from a kayak or from shore? My wife just bought me one for our anniversary and I'm too skeptical to open the box.

Since they advertise it is great for kayak fishing I think my question could benefit this thread...

Post Thanks / Like
    I got a cheaper Hummingbird FF for my kayak a number of years ago. Definitely helpful, even on smaller lakes. Helps me find structure that may not be visible at the surface. If I am trolling, helps me to locate schools of bait, active fish, and the depth they are holding. Same deal if I want to vertical jig: lets me know there is something under me to target. The only time I really did not use it was on shallower creeks/rivers where the water flow gave away info on structure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by robertdilbert View Post
    Who uses a fish finder? I have been kayak fishing for around 7-8 years now and have never felt the need to get a fish finder. I have always stuck to smaller lakes (sub 200 acres) and just go and cast along the shore line. I am picking up a new kayak and it comes with a Hummingbird Helix 5 Chirp GPS and am debating on selling it or keeping it. I was just at a large lake (Herrington) this past weekend and there was a tournament going on. I noticed all these high end bass boats with their high end fish finders were doing the exact same thing as me, tolling along the shore, casting into the shore. Would I get benefit out of a fish finder?
    That is a great fish finder. I would keep it for your first one and learn how to use it before upgrading. When you see fisherman beating the banks, that does not mean they are catching anything. I have been fishing tournaments for years and most of the time the top 10 percent of the field are the same guys. Those guys know how to pattern fish throughout the year in different situations (they fish where the majority of the larger bass are located). Most of the time the majority of larger bass are not on the bank, no matter what kind of body of water you fish. Point being is learn to use your fish finder and you will catch more and larger bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WwiskerswW View Post
    That is a great fish finder. I would keep it for your first one and learn how to use it before upgrading. When you see fisherman beating the banks, that does not mean they are catching anything. I have been fishing tournaments for years and most of the time the top 10 percent of the field are the same guys. Those guys know how to pattern fish throughout the year in different situations (they fish where the majority of the larger bass are located). Most of the time the majority of larger bass are not on the bank, no matter what kind of body of water you fish. Point being is learn to use your fish finder and you will catch more and larger bass
    I have made up my decision on a fish finder. While the unit I am getting is really nice, a lot of the features I will be unable to use. The mapping is very limited for the stat of KY, and almost non-existent for the lakes I fish. I plan to sell that one and get one with down imaging.

Looking at the Garmin Striker Plus CV, Lowrance Hook 4, or Humminbird Pirhanna 4 DI.