Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wolf creek Dam general tips.

Hi, I recently moved from Florida about 3 months ago to Lexington and have been fishing the local waters very frequently. I suspect the water levels at the Elkhorn are still going to be too high to be fishable by this coming weekend so I was hoping to head to Jamestown and fish under the Dam as the water is more controlled. We've fished the hatchery before but found it to be underwhelming, and regretted not just fishing the Cumberland Tailwaters.

I was just wondering what the general preferred baits are (I suspect we'll mostly be catching trout)on spinning reels. I was also very interested in the other species the area below has to offer but I was hoping I could get a little insight as to what other fish could be there and what typically works with them.

My girlfriend is in grad school and I work quite a bit so we don't get much time to venture out. I want to make the best of the weekend as we don't get them very often. Also if there are suggestions for waters that are a bit closer to Lexington that offer a similar view/open area for fishing I am more than open to them, but we have no issue with travelling the two hours that it takes to get to Wolf Creek.

Also we will be bank fishing, if that helps that all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally when I fish there I like to get as close to the generating water as possible. If the level allows, there is a set of steps that lead down to the concrete framed wall up near the sluice gates. That's where I fish if I am able. I prefer throwing a chrome plated flat lead spoon. Cotton Cordell is the brand I throw typically. Throw it across that fast moving water and kind of hop it back with long hard jerks. I catch rainbows, browns, and stripers that way in the fall and winter. I have also caught lots of fish on crank baits (the brighter the better) and inline spinners. Good luck.
    Likes PRO V LE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind. Do you by chance know what the water depth in that area is?
    Last edited by Mckay L; 09-24-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mckay L View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind. Does you by chance know what the water depth in that area is?
    the water depth will vary depending on the amount of water being generated , no generation and the water could be a foot deep with zero flow, or it could be 15 feet deep with very very swift flow.
    use caution walking on the rocks around the wall , they can be slicker than snot at times.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ What Stripernut said!! Typically I won't fish unless they are generating with at least one gate. I like it best with 2 or more. With 2 going you are looking at 10-12 feet typically.

Post Thanks / Like
    If they are not generating red worms, night crawlers or wax worms work well in the deeper pools you can find, and about anywhere if they are generating,
    https://www.tva.gov/Environment/Lake-Levels/Wolf-Creek

Here is a link to tell you when and how many generators, The time is apprpximate and can change at any time. So dont walk out too far the water comes up quick.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a lake Cumberland trip planned for this Thursday - Sunday. Main goal is to put some Striper on the boat. Was wondering how all this rain has impacted water conditions near the dam. Also any tips on catching bait right now would be appreciated.